+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coughing during dive

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Coughing during dive

Hello all,

While diving some times I start to cough, one after one, and before dive I have nothing! Nothing special but bussy will kill me soon, having to check on me each time I changed scrims about a month ago, so they are as new!

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Re: Coughing during dive

It would certainly be a good idea to sort this out, particularly on ascent and on deco. If you are one of the people who have an asymptomatic PFO (I think its about 20%) then there is an increased risk of shunting blood containing bubbles from your right heart into your arterial circulation when coughing or straining.
    If this was on O/C I'd wonder if you had a hole in the mouthpiece or reg diaphragm, and were inhaling a water mist, seems less likely on CCR but might be worth checking for holes/splits.
    Strangely when I have dived with a cough (I know I shouldn't) I find it is suppressed underwater.

Neil

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

First, make sure you are cleaning and disinfecting your loop. Also, make sure to rinse well after, and do the best you can to keep water from sitting in it for long periods after the cleaning.

Second, some people have allergies to certain products used in some CCR loop components. I would consider checking on this also if cleaning is not the culprit.

Third, any chance that you are getting some scrubber dust material traveling in your loop?

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    First, make sure you are cleaning and disinfecting your loop. Also, make sure to rinse well after, and do the best you can to keep water from sitting in it for long periods after the cleaning.

Second, some people have allergies to certain products used in some CCR loop components. I would consider checking on this also if cleaning is not the culprit.

Third, any chance that you are getting some scrubber dust material traveling in your loop?
    I was not using any disinfectant , only water and then hand hose vertically but water never clears 100%

I cannot think of a way dust is moving to loop!

RBW Member fin is on a distinguished road fin is on a distinguished road fin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia  View Original Post
    ...I cannot think of a way dust is moving to loop!
    I would be suspicious of virus and bacteria instead of dust for poor disinfection problems. I welcome more comments on this one, by docs or so.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia  View Original Post
    I was not using any disinfectant , only water and then hand hose vertically but water never clears 100%

I cannot think of a way dust is moving to loop!

Two things;

1: If your not disinfecting the loop and the counterlungs then that might be the cause of the coughing

2: If you cough remeber to check the mushroom valves on the mouthpiece immediatly after. If phlem gets caught in them it can cause a trickle of c02 to get through.

ATB

Mark Chase

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

I get a tickly cough when I really push my O2 exposure....If I drop my PPO2 right down then for 5 mins feel right as rain.

New Member Percy is an unknown quantity at this point Percy's Avatar

I am sure that I read somewhere that coughing is a symptom of high 02 exposure...over long periods. Perhaps you are more prone to others.
    Perhaps you should try a dive on open circuit with a matching partial pressure mix to see if the effects can be re-created. if not you can then look elsewhere for the solution.

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

I had some diaphragm contractions before my ox tox in summer 2005. They feel like coughing, but it actually is inverted as you suck gas in not blow it out.

After my tox I remebered that I had had the same before on deco dives. Did not think of it much then but after the ox tox I am really carefull with that.

Now I have been diving on 1,1 ppO2 all the time, only at 6m I flush and use higher ppO2. After lowering the ppO2 I have never had any coughing or diaphragm contractions. Earlier I had them on 1,3 ppO2.

Pierre I think you should try dropping ppO2 to 1,2 or 1,1. It does not make a lot more deco but you will be on the safer side concerning O2 issues.

Hope this helps!

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Weren't you doing some dives at 1.6 or 1.8? and pretty long dives? a dry cough can be the first sign of pulmonary oxygen toxicity

Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja  View Original Post
    I had some diaphragm contractions before my ox tox in summer 2005. They feel like coughing, but it actually is inverted as you suck gas in not blow it out.

After my tox I remebered that I had had the same before on deco dives. Did not think of it much then but after the ox tox I am really carefull with that.

Now I have been diving on 1,1 ppO2 all the time, only at 6m I flush and use higher ppO2. After lowering the ppO2 I have never had any coughing or diaphragm contractions. Earlier I had them on 1,3 ppO2.

Pierre I think you should try dropping ppO2 to 1,2 or 1,1. It does not make a lot more deco but you will be on the safer side concerning O2 issues.

Hope this helps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast