+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: What is your greatest RB fear?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

And here I thought you just added your new greatest fear:
    Getting rammed by Radomski on a 60m/min descent!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Greekbird
    This o ring/ seal is perhaps the most difficult to assess as any issues with all the others can be picked-up readily well before the dive.
    A thorough pre-breathe is your best chance to pick it up.

I've been using silicone grease for this as the o2 stuff goes all chalky and horrible. I believe this is acceptable as it is only in contact with low pressure o2. If anyone has any concerns to the contrary please advise.
    More ambient than low pressure. That's SOP on PRISM, which needs a copious amount of silicone grease around the head/bucket connection.

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    A thorough pre-breathe is your best chance to pick it up.
    Hi Stefan,

I am not always sure it is. I wonder if it is possible to have scrubber bounce on the Inspiration like we used to have battery bounce?

(For those that are unaware of this issue it was when you hit the water, the battery contacts would bounce momentarily switching off the Inspiration, since corrected by APD).

ie as you jump off the boat, the scrubber cannister jumps within the scrubber case, on impact with the water and buckles a non-greased o-ring?

The only way to be sure of this not happening is to do a 10 minute breathe at say 6 metres before descending, I believe Dave Apperley does this as a matter of routine.

This is what I like about RBW it gets you thinking, I'll be talking to my students about 'Scrubber Bounce' from now on. :D

Cheers,

Dave Cooper

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    I am not always sure it is. I wonder if it is possible to have scrubber bounce on the Inspiration like we used to have battery bounce?
    Dave, to be honest I don't know the Inspiration well enough.
    Can't remember anyone mentioning dislogging the insert or O-ring that way.
    Doing the pre-breathe on the surface or at the 6m bubble/systems check
    would seem like a good idea to pick that up, though ...

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

I think it is possible to bounce the scrubber and get the o-ring jammed if it isn`t slippery enough. Best chances for that to happen is to jump from a distance to the water feet first so that the scrubber compresses at the impact against the spring and then bounces back.

JH
    Finland

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    I never liked that o-ring. I think there are easier and safer ways to make that seal.

I know several divers who had CO2 problems due to it becoming dislodged or misplaced.

I much prefer captive o-rings, they are less likely to come dislodged and cant be misplaced.

When I first got it I toyed with the idea of modifying my YBOD to remove this problem.

See attached concept drawings - 1st one is mod to original, 2nd one is new lid mod. I never got around to doing either and dont suggest anyone modifies anything - just for discussion only

How is it done on the EVO?
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6