+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What is your greatest RB fear?

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

What is your greatest RB fear?

As someone seriously investigating venturing into the rebreather realm, I have come to realize that mindset is just as, if not more important than the technology. This leads me to the question: what is your greatest fear in rebreather diving that is not a factor in open circuit?

RBW Member Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan's Avatar
    An unexpected, debilitating CO2 hit at depth .

Even if you do everything right, this can still happen, you might get channeling, or have duff lime, and your only option is to get onto fresh gas ASAP to aleviate the symptoms then a full OC bailout. If you're diving deep, the logistics of having this amount of backup gas becomes a big discussion point - there's another thread on here talking about just that....

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

First of all: pay the rebreather!

Then as Padowan said:an unexpected, debilitating CO2 hit at depth, but also O2 hit (Hypo or Hyper) are not that friendly, though for them you should have a control!

Nad

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar
    A "heart attack".

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    dying

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Surviving - in bad shape. Once I'm dead I doubt I care ...

Until I get my own I share Nad's fear, though. ;)

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    As mentioned above the one thing that is really out of your control is a CO2 hit. I came very close to a cocktail the other week which was a wake up call.

What really worries me is screwing up. I think I am probably the biggest danger to my own safety, and I don't mean that flippantly. If you look at most risky activities, an awful lot of incidents, maybe most, happen because of something the participant does. I had a very near miss on sunday through complacency that made me stop and think. I've been gas diving for ten years (though playing on rebreathers for only two) and it shocked me how easily and simply I almost made it to the dive accident reports.

At the moment I think technology is fairly reliable. The big factor I've considered in moving to rebreathers is whether or not you can rely on yourself to do things right each time. There is not much margin for error or bodging things. I think I am still at the uptight, anal stage of rebreather diving, I haven't been doing it long enough to get complacent. That I suppose is my greatest fear because I am sure it will come as it is human nature and a combo of luck and skill as to whether or not you survive to learn your lesson.

Cheers,

Stuart

New Member DaveC will become famous soon enough DaveC will become famous soon enough DaveC will become famous soon enough DaveC will become famous soon enough DaveC's Avatar
    After I get my unit and put a few hours under my belt, getting over confident and moving beyond my training. Becoming or slipping in a complacency which could lead to some of the fears mentioned in prior posts. After all, were only human and subject to error.

Dave

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    I echo the sentiments above, it is probably getting too cocky, missing something, rushing to get ready etc.

I stripped my unit down this week ready to take to Cyprus and green gunk came out of the exhale counter lung! All because I had not stripped it down and washed it out over the last 6 days but had used it 3 times, as I was always rushing back from a dive, to a dive or sorting work out.....Makes me realise that I need to take a bit more care!

PFO free :) pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Padowan
    An unexpected, debilitating CO2 hit at depth .

Even if you do everything right, this can still happen, you might get channeling, or have duff lime, and your only option is to get onto fresh gas ASAP to aleviate the symptoms then a full OC bailout. If you're diving deep, the logistics of having this amount of backup gas becomes a big discussion point - there's another thread on here talking about just that....

Wow, the chronology of the icons is perfect, that must have taken you ages :D

Although, maybe I'd put the 'crying' one after the 'eek' one.

Seriously though, I do agree. I think the biggest factor is that it is possible to do everything right and still get royaly stiffed. With regards to the above I was thinking that the first dive on a new scrubber could be used to 'verify' that everything is performing OK before the second, being the dive to the bottom of the sea where it really matters.

Just an idea, difficult to implement in reality, probably a bit anal but definately worth considering before a solo dive..!! else... forever........................................... ..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast