Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Red Sea Trip April 2006

RBW Member evoangie is an unknown quantity at this point evoangie's Avatar

Re: Red Sea Trip April 2006

Hi guys,
    not going on this trip but have been on the hurricane a number of times and must say joe and karin are two of the best dive guides i have met as well as being great company on the boat .The last time i spoke to joe he was due to be on tb,s stand at the dive show so i am sure he would welcome a chat so that he could iron out any querys you may have.Good luck and good diving on your forthcoming trip.:D

RBW Member decompression_man is an unknown quantity at this point decompression_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Depth-junkie
    Hi Leon

sorry to hijack the thread but i have a trip organised for October this year with TB on the new boat Whirlwind diving the Northern Wrecks. There are 3 of us taking inspo's over and we toying with taking over our own lime with us. My question is how much did it cost you for taking over the lime? its bad enough getting the unit and a few clothes to weigh in at just 25kgs .

will it be more cost effective for the 3 of us to take 2 kegs over (40kg) and just pay the excess between us or is it cheaper to pay for lime on the boat.
    And did they have 797 or just dragersorb??

Thanks in advance
    Gareth
    Gareth,

When I checked in with my mate, my dive bag with the Evo was 26.5kg, the check-in attendant said "I hope all your other bags are lighter", to which I replied that we were divers and we produced our cards. My mates bag containing OC gear was 24.6kg (OC divers have some uses:)), which contained my clothes also. I took only 2 kegs of 4.5kg in a small bag, dropped them on the scales and she didn't bat an eyelid - result.

I would say that our hand luggage contained regs, video housing, camera, vision elecies and was well over, but we were not asked to weigh them, so we were lucky there.

It is £20 per fill, so if you have to pay the excess at £10 per kilo, then it is approx £24.50 per Inspo fill on excess charges alone before you buy the stuff.

I was in the same position as you, with excess luggage, so I phoned Thompsons and asked about getting additional allowance. They told me about the additional 5kg for divers which I already knew about, so I asked him whether he would do something on the lines of what they do for golfers and windsurfers etc. He said that they could do the same for scuba diving equipment £60 charge for an extra 15kgs. There is nothing on the Thompson website about this arrangement and I couldn'tpre-book it anyway as it was within 3 days of flying. Even with this arrangement it's really not worth your while taking it, it's not like they haven't got any, they are very reliable on the Hurricane, just make sure you tell them in advance and when you get on the boat on Friday evening ask them again, because they don't leave the marina until the following morning.

They had a lot of Draegersorb on the boat last week, there was also a drum of 797 there as well. I know that the other Inspo diver was using the Draegersorb with no ill effects. I have only used 797, so can't give an opinion on the sorb. I used 797 on the Hurricane supplied by them last year, so they can probably get it.

Joe will be at LIDS on the TB stand, he borrowed Steve's (the other Inspo diver) classic elecies as both his sets are at APD being repaired and will be bringing the borrowed set back over to the UK with him. He's a great guy and will help you in anyway he can.

Cheers,

Leon

Megalegalegalegadingdong! nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield's Avatar

Hi there,

Now booked on due to unexpected leave. Will be diving my Inspo and diving mix. Where are we at the moment regarding lime, pre-booking overweight, etc? Just hope I can still in my wetsuit (it seems to be a yearly update to the 'husky' size. See you all in a couple of weeks. BTW how many RB divers are we at the moment, ATB, Nick Manfield

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9