+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LP compressor for Booster

New Member ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba has a spectacular aura about ccscuba's Avatar

LP compressor for Booster

Hi everone, just got my shiny new HI!

A few questions for those that already have boosters and drive them from an LP compressor

What size reservoir do you need?
    What power compressor? (they seem to be about 1-3HP)
    Belt drive or direct drive?
    How do you adjust the output pressure up (seems to be mostly 10b max)
    What filtration do you use?
    Any other stuff I should know about?
    Any recommended brands?

thanks!

Martin

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Re: LP compressor for Booster

Use a scuba tank for drive gas. It's clean air. Simple.

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

When I enquired with Jetsam whether I could run their baby booster with a shop compressor they stated that the drive air must be "of breathing quality". If the same applies you would have to dry and filter your drive gas if using an LP compressor.

Neil

RBW Member Antzoulis is an unknown quantity at this point Antzoulis's Avatar
    Last edited by Antzoulis; 12th September 2006 at 16:37.

RBW Member Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil's Avatar
    rEvo, Sentinel, Ouroboros

Inspiration, Megalodon,

Hi Martin,

Most of your questions are covered in that thread

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=6504

Cheers,

still learning... gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan's Avatar

Hi, I recently bought a gas booster, and run it from a LP compressor. Why? Because driving it from air tanks works, but uses too much gas for me, especially when boosting to 200 bar+

The AIR that you boost must be diving grade - I just get my old twinset filled at the local dive store then use it as a mini cascade.

The LP compressor I went for is a MAKITA AC1300 about £200.

WHy this one? I was told the air to DRIVE the booster must be oil free, and the maikita is the ONLY 10 bar LP oil free compressor I could find. Could use an ordinary LP compressor, but then you'd need to fit a filter. They could be expensive £50+ / and as there are so many, easy to make the wrong choice. Machine Mart on the web sell them if you want. I found that I needed the highest drive pressue I can - so I went for the makita @ 150PSI / 10 BAR
    To give you an idea I can boost regularly to 225 bar, sometimes 230 with full supply tanks.

70 bar is practical mimimum, I find realstically 70 bar will give me a 190 bar fill...

Adjust the pressure by the control on the compressor - In practice this ONLY controls the RATE at which you fill, for air crank it up, for oxygen, start lower and then crank up as the pump gets slower @ high pressure.

I melted 2 LP compressors becaus I started using them in enclosed spaces, I HAVE to leave the compressor outside when filling to avoid overheating. Perhaps a fan would work... The compressor is 2.5hp, single phase, electric.
    Went for electric for safety - didin't want ANY fumes in my tanks. Somewheere between 2 and 3 hp is about right - more than that and you'll struggle to run this off the mains. Suuggestr using an RCD / think about earthing. I use caravan style extension leads for the power - they're 16A rated and waterproof You can always hire a generator to run the compressor if you're remote, but the economics of using petrol / diesel generator most of the time don't work out. The gas booster suppliers supplied me with the hoses / fittings / adapters needed, dont need to be O2 clean. After some advice, I fittend a mini in line filter to avoid any contamination / detritus being fed in from J cylinders / drive gas cylinders. After a couple of weeks of teething problesm the system now works fine.
    One omre thing, get yourself a small air gun. Why? Because most LP compressors switch on / off at pre-determined pressures. I routinely have to bleed the pressure from the LP compressor so that it fires up again and re-starts the pumping process.

The makita automatically cuts out for me at about 227 - 230 bar - a nice safety bonus.

Think about the CFm the compressor must supply - I went for 8.4cfm, and that fills O2 a tad fast - I recon 7cfm would be IDEAL. More is NOT better, you want to CONTROL the rate of oxygen addition to minimise fire risk IMHO.
    The only reason to get a sotrage cylinder is to avoid the compressor having to run continuously. Be careful, most cheap LP compressors are NOT designed to run all the time as when you're filling. I got a 35 ltr tank and it seems fine with lots of cooling. Anything up to 50ltr is practical. Larger than that the compressor will perhaps be too large / heavy to manhandle. Good luck.
    If found talking to gas booster supplier really helped...

+ Reply to Thread