+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Risks of diving with a Cold and using decongestants

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Re: The Risks of diving with a Cold and using decongestants

Did the doctor explain how the lungs were damaged by these drugs?

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

Mdemon,

The drugs did not damage the lungs, but because I had flem on my chest it stop the gas escaping and the overpressure made the alveoli rupture. Thus causing the gas to escape.

I found this on a web site:-

Mediastinal/Subcutaneous Emphysema
    A more common occurrence in pulmonary overpressure is for the alveoli to rupture and for the air to track up along the vessels into the mediastinum and from there up to the neck under the skin. The gas may rarely enter the pericardium (sack around the heart ) or the peritoneum (abdominal cavity).
    The signs and symptoms of mediastinal emphysema include substernal pain that is worse on inspiration, coughing, and swallowing. There may be X-ray evidence of mediastinal widening or frank (obvious) air but respiratory symptoms are present only in severe cases. It is usually accompanied by subcutaneous emphysema.
    The signs and symptoms of subcutaneous emphysema include swelling of the neck, crepitus (air bubbles) under the skin of the neck, sore throat, brassy or monotone voice and dysphagia (painful swallowing). Syncope (fainting), shock or unconsciousness are possible but rarely encountered. The onset of symptoms will occasionally be delayed and brought on by coughing or straining after surfacing with damaged lungs. Air may be seen under the skin on soft tissue X-rays of the neck.
    The treatment of both mediastinal and subcutaneous emphysema requires chest X-rays, the standard supportive measures of bed rest, oxygen, observation and careful neurological assessment to rule out A.G.E. It is vitally important to remember that mediastinal/subcutaneous emphysema can and often do co-exist with arterial gas embolism"

This ties in with my symptoms a sore throat and a brassy voice also if I breath in deeply I want to cough.

So the lesson from this is to take note of what your body is trying to tell you, the drugs did there job and cleared my airways but did not get rid of the flem on my chest.

Louis

Andrew Martin Ward AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW's Avatar
    KISS

Nome brew side mount

Not as bad a problem as others have had but.
    I was on air and in the second week of diving in the Lot I had a bit of an ear clearing problem, I normal have ears like railway tunnels. Having driven all this way I was going to dive (maybe not the best philosophy) I had been taking Sudafed for about three days. This dive was one I am very familiar with and the vis was good 15M+. It started Ok I was diving with two others (sort of as we had set of at 5 minute intervals). After about ten minutes and at 12M depth I just started to feel apprehensive worrying about gear failing etc at this point I turned around and headed home. Once back near the entrance I was fine I talked to a few other divers at the time and later looked on the web and there seems a large amount of anecdotal evidence that this can be a side affect of taking Sudafed. I repeated the dive two days later and had used Synex I was fine and had a very good dive. As I have said this is my findings and the rest is anecdotal although if I need a decongestant I use a nasal bottle of Synex I had used the tablet form of Sudafed, so the level reaching the blood stream and then the brain are different. Again I would never take the risk of using Sudafed, again from my own experience.
    Andrew.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Crumbs! Louis hope you get well soon man...

Sounds rather scary but that you got good treatment, bummer about the three months- just look on the bright side, this didn't happen in the spring!

This sounds abit gross but- how would you characterize your cold/bunged-up-ness pre-dive? Light cold with sniff, heavy cold with frequent need to blow nose etc?

I often feel bunged up on dive trips because we end up staying in grotty B&B's or carvans with poor ventilation and fear I won't be able to dive, the boat ride normally blows it clear :D

BEN

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Thank you for that, a good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by louisrankin  View Original Post
    Mdemon,

The drugs did not damage the lungs, but because I had flem on my chest it stop the gas escaping and the overpressure made the alveoli rupture. Thus causing the gas to escape.

I found this on a web site:-

Mediastinal/Subcutaneous Emphysema
    A more common occurrence in pulmonary overpressure is for the alveoli to rupture and for the air to track up along the vessels into the mediastinum and from there up to the neck under the skin. The gas may rarely enter the pericardium (sack around the heart ) or the peritoneum (abdominal cavity).
    The signs and symptoms of mediastinal emphysema include substernal pain that is worse on inspiration, coughing, and swallowing. There may be X-ray evidence of mediastinal widening or frank (obvious) air but respiratory symptoms are present only in severe cases. It is usually accompanied by subcutaneous emphysema.
    The signs and symptoms of subcutaneous emphysema include swelling of the neck, crepitus (air bubbles) under the skin of the neck, sore throat, brassy or monotone voice and dysphagia (painful swallowing). Syncope (fainting), shock or unconsciousness are possible but rarely encountered. The onset of symptoms will occasionally be delayed and brought on by coughing or straining after surfacing with damaged lungs. Air may be seen under the skin on soft tissue X-rays of the neck.
    The treatment of both mediastinal and subcutaneous emphysema requires chest X-rays, the standard supportive measures of bed rest, oxygen, observation and careful neurological assessment to rule out A.G.E. It is vitally important to remember that mediastinal/subcutaneous emphysema can and often do co-exist with arterial gas embolism"

This ties in with my symptoms a sore throat and a brassy voice also if I breath in deeply I want to cough.

So the lesson from this is to take note of what your body is trying to tell you, the drugs did there job and cleared my airways but did not get rid of the flem on my chest.

Louis

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

Talking Re: The Risks of diving with a Cold and using decongestants

Hi Ben,

Bunged up in one nostril this would change from nostril to nostril, no snot coming out. I must admit I always have a bottle of Oltravine with me and I normally have a good sniff before the dive. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a doctor and said I have been using Sudafed on and off for about 2 months, he told me to stop using it along with the Oltravine and just use Beconase a couple of times a day. So what did I do ignore his medical advice and took all three, I must be an addict (Dive addict) At least I got to play with my hammerhead last night it worked a treat I just closed my eyes and visualised penetrating an old wreck (well the wife is away you know) :p

Louis

Custom Title Allowed! db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us's Avatar

I just use Oxymetazolin before every long dive, but ONLY when NOT having any cold.
    Also usually Loperamidhydrochlorif for long dives for other reasons :D

Diving with a cold or flu is a bad idea IMHO.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by db8us  View Original Post
    Also usually Loperamidhydrochlorif for long dives for other reasons :D
    Whatever happened to the DIR principle of using one thing for multiple purposes. Its a great re-use of the corks from bottles of red wine ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2