+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: mCCR or eCCR

  1. #1
    Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    673
    Megalodon

    mCCR or eCCR

    I've been diving OC since '81, and I love it: it's so forgiving. In a remote location in the Philippines a dive shop charged me 25c/litre for Helium, and I knew then it was time to change - that's $1,000 for a 100m dive. Global supplies of easily recoverable Helium are likely to run out by 2020, and stronger-for-longer oil prices drive freight costs skyward, so the situation is only going to get worse. The first step on the decision tree is to decide: mechanical or electronic. I took a Pelagian course while in Thailand - a mechanical rebreather. I was surprised that the task loading was not really a problem, but I know that when the poop hits the fan IQ drops 50%, and it might be nice to have a computer that says "ahem, are you sure you want to do that?". Computers are inherently unreliable, but add water and they turn from Mogwai to Gremlin. I have a personal aversion to dying. Choice of rebreather is a personal decision, and the best thing would be to try them all. That would take too much time and wad. Have you any advice that would simplify the decision?

  2. #2
    Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    917

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Abbo,
    With new products that are just becoming available. You dont actually have to decide if you want MCCR or ECCR a couple of rebreathers are available with both types of control. The meg is now available with both types of head(Apecs 2 ECCR and COPIS MCCR), and the Kiss has aftermarket electronics available for it. however if you want an Inspo or an Optima you'll have to stick with MCCR( edit:- this is wrong they are ECCR, must not post while drunk).
    I dive an ECCR but that was purely down to what was available second hand at the price point I was willing to pay.
    HTH
    Simon A
    Last edited by Simon A; 11th September 2006 at 08:02.

  3. #3
    Maximum ****** RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    L.A., where the debris meets the sea
    Posts
    226

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    And here all along I thought my Inspo with Vision electronics automatically maintained my p02 setpoint and did setpoint switching automatically upon descent for me....I had no idea it was an mCCR

    ;)

  4. #4
    Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    2,011
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

    Evolution

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    Abbo,
    however if you want an Inspo or an Optima you'll have to stick with MCCR.
    Simon A
    Me thinks ye wrote mCCR when meant eCCR.

    Any way, Abbo, I purchased for an evolution, have under 50 hours on it and i do mostly recreational depths with it, though i know folks who are putting their's through the paces with deeper dives. My unit has been great, my wife's has illustrated some of the downsides of an eCCR in terms how little they are field servicable...a nearly ruined 10 day trip to BC and 6 weeks to get it fixed, all for a few loose wires.

    tell us a little bit more about the kind of diving you wish to do, i think that would help. I'm assuming that since you are talking the price of helium that you are doing relatively deep/long dives. Certianly saving on expensive gas seems to be one of the things compelling tec OC divers to make the switch.

    when comparing and contrasting units and aproaches, while i'm not an authority and have not owned multiple units, I think of it like this:

    There is no perfect rebreather at this point, it is a matter of your specific needs and preferences, furtunately there are some really good options available to you these days. I have observed that Evo/inspo owners tend to love their breathers for the vision electronics, meg owners champion their units for rock solid build quality and modularity, Kiss owners for their units moderate price and simplicity/field servicability, and Optima owners love the ease of use of the extandair cartridges and the all the D+R that diverite has put into their cross-over components.

    As far as mCCR vs eCCR, it would seem, if the stats reveal a true tendency, that mCCR's are safer. If there is a linear relationship in the stats, in other words if the difference in fatalities does reflect an inherent difference rather than simply reflecting that eCCR divers tend to be folks who push the envelope more, then perhaps it lies in the fact that an mCCR diver not only watches their PO2 frequently but actually has to be intimately engaged in the O2 controlling system, not just looking and monitoring but actually thinking and adjusting it acordingly. It has been argued that this level of engagment requires that the mCCR diver be on top of things constantly, never relying entirely on their system to keep them alive. While many would argue that this is still inconclusive, the numbers are compelling... 0% fatality rate on the KISS.

    if you wish to go with an mCCR, then you would certainly look at the kiss, except recently the Copis meg has come out, combining the mCCR aproach of the kiss with, hands down, superior build quality. If I were to go the mCCR route, the copis meg is certainly the direction i'd go.

    As much as i can see the wisdom in going mCCR, i really enjoy having integrated deco, auto injection o2 and the temp stick of the vision electronics. I am contantly reminding myself that even though it's automatic, or perhaps especially so, i need to act like it could malfunction at any time. perhaps eroniously, i have decided that since i'm not pushing the enevolope with depth or overhead environments the risk associated with eCCR feels more manageable.

    to mitigate the added risk of eCCR's and their tendency to breed complacency, many divers choose to place their computers to a low set point and maintain a normal running set point manually with the thought that this engages the user like an mCCR. I understand the thinking here but am not sure if that effects the stats though. Over time, I may adopt this habit if the numbers continue to bear out accordingly.

    good luck in your decition, take your time and read up on all the back posts and if possible, get to know people in your area who own a rebreather.

    Gill Envy

  5. #5
    not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK, Brighton
    Posts
    2,720
    Classic Kiss

    Sports kiss, dolphin

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillenvy  View Original Post
    As far as mCCR vs eCCR, it would seem, if the stats reveal a true tendency, that mCCR's are safer. If there is a linear relationship in the stats, in other words if the difference in fatalities does reflect an inherent difference rather than simply reflecting that eCCR divers tend to be folks who push the envelope more, then perhaps it lies in the fact that an mCCR diver not only watches their PO2 frequently but actually has to be intimately engaged in the O2 controlling system, not just looking and monitoring but actually thinking and adjusting it acordingly. It has been argued that this level of engagment requires that the mCCR diver be on top of things constantly, never relying entirely on their system to keep them alive. While many would argue that this is still inconclusive, the numbers are compelling... 0% fatality rate on the KISS.
    Every unit is different, that much we all agree on. I cant help but think that the KISS's good luck on the incidents record comes down more to the type of people who are selecting the unit. ie its not JUST the choice of unit.

    Whichever machine you pick, I heard some wise words that have always stuck with me "Rebreathers are expensive, because each and every one comes with its own personal gremlin, ready to bite the second your back is turned".

    Good luck :)

  6. #6
    Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    673
    Megalodon

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Many thanks for your kind help
    Last edited by Abbo; 11th September 2006 at 06:39.

  7. #7
    Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    917

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Rebreather dave is correct, optima's and inspirations are ECCR, I had a brain fart when writing the post.
    Simon A

  8. #8
    RBW Member Nicholas von Rosen is an unknown quantity at this point Nicholas von Rosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Posts
    155

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    I've been diving OC since '81, and I love it: it's so forgiving. In a remote location in the Philippines a dive shop charged me 25c/litre for Helium, and I knew then it was time to change - that's $1,000 for a 100m dive. Global supplies of easily recoverable Helium are likely to run out by 2020, and stronger-for-longer oil prices drive freight costs skyward, so the situation is only going to get worse. The first step on the decision tree is to decide: mechanical or electronic. I took a Pelagian course while in Thailand - a mechanical rebreather. I was surprised that the task loading was not really a problem, but I know that when the poop hits the fan IQ drops 50%, and it might be nice to have a computer that says "ahem, are you sure you want to do that?". Computers are inherently unreliable, but add water and they turn from Mogwai to Gremlin. I have a personal aversion to dying. Choice of rebreather is a personal decision, and the best thing would be to try them all. That would take too much time and wad. Have you any advice that would simplify the decision?
    I'm lazy...

    I would go for a ECCR any day...

    Nick

  9. #9
    RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Every eCCR can me an mCCR if you want - mine is - I fly my Meg manually and use the electronics as a safety net.

    when I hear the solenoid kick in occasionally I always give me self a slap for not paying attention.

    Stuart

  10. #10
    Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Draper, Utah / Ft. White, Florida
    Posts
    1,533
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

    Optima Inspiration Prism 2

    Re: mCCR or eCCR

    Quote Originally Posted by schford  View Original Post
    Every eCCR can me an mCCR if you want - mine is - I fly my Meg manually and use the electronics as a safety net.

    when I hear the solenoid kick in occasionally I always give me self a slap for not paying attention.

    Stuart
    Stuart,

    I do the same thing, and it sure does make me angry when I find that I have not paid attention sufficiently, and the electronics kick in! It is certainly a wake up call when it happens!

    Regards,
    Randy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts