+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deep Sea Supply's Evolution Backplate Adapter

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Deep Sea Supply's Evolution Backplate Adapter

I caught up with Tobin from Deep Sea Supply at the Long Beach Scuba Show here in California.
    And he had another gem at his booth: The backplate adapter for the Evolution. :D

The super lightweight Kydex backplate has steel renforcements along the spine as well as the harness slots for sturdyness. It also has just a bit of flex, which should make it perfect for thin warm water wetsuits.

The adpater consits of two separate mounts, rather than the single plate used on the PRISM. Hence they are considerably lighter in weight. The screws for the backplate are captive and won't get lost. The thumb wheel that replaces the usual wng nut is more user frendly and at the show was equiped with DSS' keepers, which prevent them from getting lost, too. Very nice to have on a rolling boat. Very well thought out.

For travelling, the Evo's major advantage over the Inspiration, this is a dream setup. Unscrew two thumb wheels, and the plate, the stock (or other) bladder and counterlung come right off. Easy to pack on trips, easy to clean and maintain year round.

There are three more images in the gallery .

Maximum ****** RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave's Avatar
    I saw that today too.....interesting.......I saw some nice weight pockets at the SDS booth other then the sucky ones I have. I did talk to Zeagle a couple of weeks ago, and they are fiddling around with their existing weight pockets and will try adding a second vertical web to it so the horizontal waist web goes through it. This will allow a quick weight dump via feeling around for that red handle, which feels unlike anything else for quick grabbing.

I talked to the Halcyon guys and they confirmed that the greenish fabric reinforced breathing hoses used at times on the RB80 are about $500 for the pair, twice what they sell the black standard rubber ones for.

I saw the Beckman Electrolung that got me started on all this CCR kick as a 7th grader with a dream....I didn't realize how small it was.....looks like about a 1 hour scrubber duration unless they used lithium hydroxide.

Is there some authoritative source claiming medical grade sofnolime is different and unacceptable compared to rebreather sofnolime?

Anyway, I had a great time at the show, although I prefer Dema....plus there were some rather colorful characters wandering in from the local homosexual "pride" shindig......I never saw so many obese "women" with mullets.....

Photo & Video Pro h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point h2ophotopro's Avatar

Classy Dave

Gotta love your post there Dave...it wasa interesting wasnt it?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

The Fruit Festival?

On Sunday they closed down most of the waterfront for the parade, same as last year.

Which is, of course, exactly where the convention center (and the Aquarium of the Pacific) is, with all three convention halls busy with visitors. Not as busy as Saturday, though, because getting to the show was a major hassle. Roads closed, no signs how to get around the closures, and no one sure how to get to the center. The first 17 miles took me 30 minutes, the last 4 over an hour.

Once on the show floor, there was considerable less attendance than the day before ...

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    On Sunday they closed down most of the waterfront for the parade, same as last year.

Which is, of course, exactly where the convention center (and the Aquarium of the Pacific) is, with all three convention halls busy with visitors. Not as busy as Saturday, though, because getting to the show was a major hassle. Roads closed, no signs how to get around the closures, and no one sure how to get to the center. The first 17 miles took me 30 minutes, the last 4 over an hour.

Once on the show floor, there was considerable less attendance than the day before ...
    Hi Stefan,

Thanks for posting the pics, you don't waste anytime

Good new is that next year the show dates have been moved to late June, in part to avoid the crowds associated with the Pride activities.

Regards,

Tobin

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52
    Thanks for posting the pics, you don't waste anytime
    Thanks Tobin, that's cool hardware. ;)

Good new is that next year the show dates have been moved to late June, in part to avoid the crowds associated with the Pride activities.
    That's what I thought this year, too. Last year both were on the same day, sometime mid June ...
    I hope vendors gave Dale some feedback in that regargd.

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7

Well, it might be hottie than Hell here in Texas but do not get that kind of Fruit here.

We have a Peach festival coming up but their will be little chance of having the problems that you get in California.

Something to be said about pickup trucks, boots , Mexican food, and the military.

Then again all the Plastic Surgery that goes on here you think we would have invented the plastic reinforced backplate. Oh, Sorry we specialize in Silicone.

Tobin, rockin products as always.
    Has it stopped raining yet?

Take care, Andrew.

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck
    Tobin, rockin products as always.
    Has it stopped raining yet?

Take care, Andrew.
    Hey Andrew!

Thanks for the kind words.

Ya, it stopped raining. We were less than 1" away from breaking a rain record from the 1800's, but it's not expected to happen, they measure July-June.

Now if we can just get the local vis over 4 ft....... red tides and unusually warm water.

Tobin

Photo & Video Pro h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point h2ophotopro's Avatar
    Yeah attendance sure was down on Sunday. I didnt notice nearly as many people on the aisles. I will be glad next year's show is moved.

Hey Tobin, can you give me some info on your new backplate. Maybe we can talk soon. Im really interested in doing some mods, and being mine is the "demo model" for many right now, I can help get the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ophotopro
    Yeah attendance sure was down on Sunday. I didnt notice nearly as many people on the aisles. I will be glad next year's show is moved.

Hey Tobin, can you give me some info on your new backplate. Maybe we can talk soon. Im really interested in doing some mods, and being mine is the "demo model" for many right now, I can help get the word out.
    Mike,

I'd be happy to. The adapter I'm making really just fixes the two 8mm x 1.25 bolts in the Evo Case, and provides a flat surface for any back plate to rest on. Our lightweight plate is just one choice.

Call me, anytime 626-799-5078

Tobin

+ Reply to Thread