+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Trimix Evaluation Dive Today

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

First Trimix Evaluation Dive Today

Well, I finally got my act together enough that I feel I am ready to get back to my deeper Trimix diving that I have been missing so much since my switch over the CCR. My instructor had been calling me to start the dives for a while, but I kept declining until I felt that I would be able to do skills with instructor level quality. Also, I was working out some issues with switching over to a side mount bail out bottle configuration, and I wanted this to be solid before doing deeper dives and presenting myself for evaulation.

We headed to Key Largo to dive the Spiegel Grove Wreck. The goal was to evaluate my skills during penetration in addition to generally, and there were to be some exercises along the way.

The first dive did not start out (if you will pardon the expression) optimally. The diver that entered the water just before me lost her grip on the tag line, and she started to get swept away. Just as I jumped in, the DM untied the trail line in order to feed it out to the distressing diver. So, as I tried to pull myself forward, I got nothing but a big spaghetti of line that continued to feed out.

I started yelling to the boat crew to tighten up the line so that I could move forward. By the time they go to it, I was far behind the boat, and I then had to pull myself forward to the mooring ball line to make my descent. Needless to say, in the strong current that was running, I was exhausted by the time I made it forward.

I managed to pull myself down the line slowly, but I was breathing quite hard. I stopped here and there to make sure that I was not in a situation which might overbreathe my scrubber. Once on the deck of the wreck, we managed to stay on a lee side, and the overall current lessened tremendously. My heart was still pounding loudly for about ten minutes until I recovered despite several stops to catch my breath, and making sure to move slowly once on the wreck.

We entered the wreck, and we swam down some long, narrow hallways. Our instructor was checking to see just how much silt we would stir up along the way, and he was looking at our position in the water column to minimize that silting. (The sidemounts worked great, and I didn't even touch except for a light rub once during a narrow passage.) I was in a great position, and buoyancy and trim were dead-on as I made my way through the wreck. My kicks were very efficient, and I did not make any significant silt along the way.

After exiting, he directed me to bail out to open circuit. I easily deployed the regulator from the sidemount set up, and I took a few breaths, remembering to change my Hammerheads over to the open circuit setting for this gas. As we swam along, my instructor removed his bail out bottle, and we traded bottles while swimming along and breathing from them. Everything went well, and then we called that particular drill.

Next, my instructor prompted me to come over and inject some offboard bailout gas into his manual add. I had no problem deploying the hose. However, while I could almost connect the hose, I found that my hose was a little too short to do this short of passing off the bottle. I am going to put longer inflator hoses on my bailout bottles. Should not be a problem next time.

Ascent went well though the current definitely picked back up in the shallows. I flushed the loop a few times at 20 feet, and we surfaced after completing the last stop.

On our second dive, we played some other games. I would take a breath from an open circuit regulator, and then I would exhale that into the loop, counting how many breaths I could take before requiring another. I tried connecting my Optima hose into my instructor's inlet, and I still found this too short to do the job properly. I spent several minutes simulating a solenoid stuck open, cracking the oxygen valve to add oxygen when needed.

At the end of the dive, my instructor tried to trick me with a little task loading. Since I have to remove a bail out bottle in order to re-stow the reguator and hoses, I was in the middle of doing this when my instructor came up to me and told me to launch a lift bag. It really wasn't a big deal. I just clipped the top of the bottle, got out the bag and spool, and then I dealt with clipping on the back clip of the bottle after launching the bag.

Honestly, I felt great and confident through everything. Despite the strong current, we had some very nice dives, and the viz was very good, like 75 feet or more.

My evaluation went very well, and I was satisifed with my performance today.
    Last edited by ScubaDadMiami; 27th August 2006 at 04:53.

Optima Pilot chucky05 is an unknown quantity at this point chucky05's Avatar

Re: First Trimix Evaluation Dive Today

Congratulations Howard;
    I can't wait to get back to mix myself but I still have a couple of months worth of experience to gain. In fact I did a stupid thing on Sunday which was to have my ADV shut off and I don't mind admitting that when the loop dried up I was a little frustrated. Not somethig I would want to be doing on a 'deep' dive. Anagin congrats and I look forward to hearig how your next few mix dives go.
    Regards,
    John :)

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

I waited 8 months. I actually kept the promise to myself not to go until ready.

Now, I just have to keep the promise not to die because of being cheap about things like when to change the scrubber.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    Next, my instructor prompted me to come over and inject some offboard bailout gas into his manual add.

I tried connecting my Optima hose into my instructor's inlet, and I still found this too short to do the job properly. .
    Just curious, what is the thinking behind this skill?
    It sounds a bit odd and possibly dangerous to me.

Why would anyone want to connect themselves to a possibly incapacitated diver? what if they went buoyant or got violent/fitted and ascended they would drag you up!

Personally I don't want to get too close to a stressed diver or one who may convulse. For this reason I have whips on my bail tank. He gets the whole tank and I keep a safe distance away. Close enough to help but not so close that they can endanger me. i certainly would never plug myself into their unit!

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    ...i certainly would never plug myself into their unit!
    Huhmmm...

I would believe it if I didn't know you better...

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Just curious, what is the thinking behind this skill?
    It sounds a bit odd and possibly dangerous to me.
    Leon makes you practise this skill too - It's another option in your tool kit as far as I am concerned.

Lets just imagine oh - that the first stage on my bottom mix had just blown up lol and I had just twatted the first stage on my onboard dil....eeeks no more dil for my CCR any more....

Now lets imagine I am in a wreck and need to go down to come up - so I just grab Sarahs offboard dil hose whack it into my CL - give it a good squirt when I go down - then when I hit the bottom and start coming up the shot I unhook cos I dont need any more dil and just ascend up the shot.

Unlikely - sure, but if the shit hits the fan I know I can do it if I have to.

We also practised connecting in O2 as well in case your onboard o2 failed....and you didnt want to go full bailout.

Stuart

Holiday diver denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel's Avatar

mmm, wouldn't it be easier to grab an mouth/ lung full of bail out and breathe that back into your loop then to physically attach yourself to your buddy?

Denz.

Quote Originally Posted by denzel  View Original Post
    mmm, wouldn't it be easier to grab an mouth/ lung full of bail out and breathe that back into your loop then to physically attach yourself to your buddy?

Denz.
    This will eat up the gas faster since each time that the diver breathes from the open circuit reg, it will have to be cleared.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by denzel  View Original Post

Denz.
    but in my make believe world I have a full face mask on.......dont forget the attachment to your buddy would be no longer than you being attached to him by breathing off his bailout reg...(dont forget I allready broke mine )

For this reason I have whips on my bail tank. He gets the whole tank and I keep a safe distance away.

oh just read that bit - shooks I think we are all talking about the same skill eg plugging in some one elses off board bailout - only thing different is you would hand over the whole schbang to him - which kind of makes sense...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast