+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Travelling to and from the United Kingdom

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

Re: Travelling to and from the United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by rigdiver
    If it keeps a plane from falling out of the sky I'm all for it. We know who to thank for this don't we? It aint grandma or daffy duck.
    Bill
    I think the only way to keep a plane from falling out of the air is to keep it on the ground. Next best thing, don't let any passengers on board.

Security is paramount in flying since planes are not tanks and airports are few and far between. But security has to be practical and effective. But at what point will it stop? If a bad guy starts a fire on a plane by shorting out his cell phone battery and setting his clothes on fire, are they going to ban phones and clothes next? Does it make sense to prevent home fires but removing the kitchen from the house?

I think we need a train that crosses the Atlantic... work on the Pacific next year.

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Quote Originally Posted by webhead
    I fear the day that the bad guys figure out how to make clothes explode.....
    Actually I understand its not that difficult! Lets hope the mass of clothing spread out wouldn't be enough!!

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

Flew into Gatwick from Barbados today...Virgin Atlantic ... no restrictions at all imposed. However they would not through check any luggage for anyone having a connection through to another destination.

I understand flights to US had liquids ban and BA to Gatwick were making people switch off phones and put them in hold luggage.

Gatwick arrivals was very quiet - and airport access roads were fine

Steve

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

Current situation - Heathrow Terminal 1

Monday 13:00hrs

Having got here daftly early things are nowhere near as bad as on TV.
    • Access to terminal is fine - though got in on Heathrow Express
    • Terminal is not too busy - average queues at both BA and BMI desks.
    • BMI will not accept hold luggage until 2 1/2 hrs before flight
    • Queues to security (both domestic and International are short - about 15 mins I would guess if that at the moment
    • Restrictions on hand luggage have been eased in last hour ...can now take anything except liquids as hand luggage ... but it must still be put in a clear plastic bag ..loads being handed out here
    Plenty of space to sit down upstairs at Cafes etc

Regards

Steve

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

There were new baggage allowances coming online soon - will this affect them? Do passengers get a bigger allowance now most things are going in the hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon
    There were new baggage allowances coming online soon - will this affect them? Do passengers get a bigger allowance now most things are going in the hold?
    Yea - today they were pretty lenient in terms of total weight - but were still insisting on 23kg max per bag. Guy near me was a little surprised when they kicked back his 40kg bag. He asked what they suggested - they pointed at the nearby bag shop ...where the salesman was busy hiding the price tags!!

One wrinkle ...they suddenly decided my laptop cable was unacceptable in the hand luggage...after I'd checked earlier.. and after I'd checked in my hold luggage - so things still pretty fluid!

Have to say tho - you can't fault the staff at Heathrow - airline or BAA...loads of them, all still smiling and extremely helpful 10/10 in my book

Steve

RBW Member Mark Wan is on a distinguished road Mark Wan is on a distinguished road Mark Wan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyza
    With TSA making sure that all the locks are taken off of checked baggage in the US, and now British security is making you put all your valuables in your checked baggage, I want a job at Thiefrow Airport. The pickings are going to be huge
    A friend in NYC routinely locks his luggage when flying to/from the US. He tells me that he normally asks the check-in desk for someone to search his luggage manually. After this is done, he can lock the case, they slap a sticker on the case to say that TSA has searched it, and it gets checked in.

I haven't spoken to him recently, so I don't know if this is still possible to do, but worth asking about if you're paranoid about leaving your check-in bags unlocked.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2