+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to and from the United Kingdom

Confectioner to N@90 Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou's Avatar

Exclamation Travelling to and from the United Kingdom

For anyone flying out today or in the near future...

Originally posted by ProDive Europe at Yorkshire Divers

Please advise divers that suspicious equipment such as Dive computers may be confiscated. Please ensure all equipment if placed in hold baggage prior to arrival at the airport. Flights to and from the UK are expecting delays of at least four-six hours.

Scuba equipment: computers, regulators, knives must be in the hold and will be confiscated if the passenger tries to take them on hand luggage.

Fears of a plot to blow up planes to and from the UK, have prompted additional security measures at all UK airports and for every flight.

The Transport Department has announced the following immediate restrictions.

With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take only the following items through a airport security search point. They must be in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag. Nothing may be carried in pockets:
    • Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards, etc (not handbags)).
    • Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets).
    • Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
    • Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases; contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
    • For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).
    • Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes), tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs keys (but no electrical key fobs).

All passengers must be hand searched and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

Airports operator BAA said there are no changes to current hold baggage security measures but significant delays at airports were inevitable.

Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above, all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

A BAA statement said: "We wish to stress that these are precautionary measures. During the next few days airports will be extremely busy, therefore only those intending to fly should come to the airport.

"Passengers are asked to use public transport to get to and from the airport wherever possible.

"Passengers are also asked to be patient while these additional security measures are put in place. Delays are likely and passengers are therefore asked to allow extra time for their journey."

Department of Transport Statement HERE

Futher information HERE
    Last edited by Louby Lou; 10th August 2006 at 09:25.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Re: Travelling to and from the United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Louby Lou
    For anyone flying out today or in the near future...

Originally posted by ProDive Europe at Yorkshire Divers

Please advise divers that suspicious equipment such as Dive computers may be confiscated. Please ensure all equipment if placed in hold baggage prior to arrival at the airport. Flights to and from the UK are expecting delays of at least four-six hours.

Scuba equipment: computers, regulators, knives must be in the hold and will be confiscated if the passenger tries to take them on hand luggage.

Fears of a plot to blow up planes to and from the UK, have prompted additional security measures at all UK airports and for every flight.

The Transport Department has announced the following immediate restrictions.

With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take only the following items through a airport security search point. They must be in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag. Nothing may be carried in pockets:
    • Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards, etc (not handbags)).
    • Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets).
    • Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
    • Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases; contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
    • For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).
    • Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes), tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs keys (but no electrical key fobs).
    All passengers must be hand searched and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

Airports operator BAA said there are no changes to current hold baggage security measures but significant delays at airports were inevitable.

Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above, all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

A BAA statement said: "We wish to stress that these are precautionary measures. During the next few days airports will be extremely busy, therefore only those intending to fly should come to the airport.

"Passengers are asked to use public transport to get to and from the airport wherever possible.

"Passengers are also asked to be patient while these additional security measures are put in place. Delays are likely and passengers are therefore asked to allow extra time for their journey."

Futher information HERE
    British Airways has the deatils in their "news" section
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

PFO free :) pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning's Avatar

I am supposed to be on a plane to Athens tomorrow - with Easyjet. Apparantly they have cancelled all their flights today.

Lets hope it gets better. I geuss I'll leave my Suunto BANGtec and 6" knife at home.

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Hello,

Maybe out of subject , last year at Gatwick I was surprised that in my hand luggage I had a Custom Divers HID light, all made from stainless steel and after X ray not even one question asked! I even had 2 SS clamps for cylinders..no problem!

I can't imagine passing a HID canister and head without any question!

RBW Member Richard Lundgren has a spectacular aura about Richard Lundgren has a spectacular aura about Richard Lundgren has a spectacular aura about Richard Lundgren has a spectacular aura about Richard Lundgren has a spectacular aura about Richard Lundgren's Avatar
    RB80, JJCCR

I'm flying into Heathrow tomorrow and was asked to leave my HD light behind by my airline company. Right now it seams more efficient to do just that compared to start an argument with the already strained airport security crew ;)

Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Megladon

I really hope they ease these restrictions before October, otherwise it will be a LONG flight to Inverness with no Ipod. Plus... I had planned to bring my wedding dress as carry-on luggage- the idea of bringing it as hold luggage is not inspiring.......

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

So I can't imagine these restrictions lasting too long because they are flawed....

1) The airlines are always saying to carry on items that are expensive or can't afford to be lost. Now you are forced to check your valuables. Does this mean the airlines are automatically increasing the coverage for lost bags? I've never seen a policy where they come close to covering the bag and contents and now I have to check my laptop and $12,000US of dive gear?!?!?!?

2) What are they doing with all the liquids beyond security? They say that passengers can't bring liquids thru security but no mention in any of the news what they are doing with the pubs, restaurants, and stores inside the terminals. Are all the vending machines being removed too? And what about the flights? You going to fly 5 hours without any water or drinks on the flight?

And everyone thought the ban on lighters and matches was/is a joke. I fear the day that the bad guys figure out how to make clothes explode.....

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

If it keeps a plane from falling out of the sky I'm all for it. We know who to thank for this don't we? It aint grandma or daffy duck.
    Bill

RBW Member Kyza is an unknown quantity at this point Kyza's Avatar

With TSA making sure that all the locks are taken off of checked baggage in the US, and now British security is making you put all your valuables in your checked baggage, I want a job at Thiefrow Airport. The pickings are going to be huge

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

I just flew from Chicago to Beijing today on United, after hearing about restrictions late last night on the news. In O'Hare, they allowed carry on and laptops, but asked to remove and check all liquid, gels, powder etc.
    As Rigdiver said, if it keeps the planes from falling out of the sky... and generally that was the attitude most people had. I was happy enough with it all, but not as happy as my wife when I got home.
    On the plane, they served food and drink no problem, but weren't selling duty free perfume or spirits.

It's going to be a mess, but you the alternative is to stop all flights.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast