+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ybod or meg

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Question ybod or meg

having read a fair bit lately i think i'm down to choosing between apd or the meg .have a fair few freinds with a ybod but have never even seen a meg other than ce approval at present & a fancy case on the ybod are there any differences as in problems that i may have missed ? also does anubody know of an instructor who does try dives on the meg ?
    tia
    colin

Mutter Grumble Groan Moan AndyP is on a distinguished road AndyP is on a distinguished road AndyP's Avatar
    A quick reply,

I dive a YBOD, I love it, but; it has all the streamlining properties of a Tank, if you want to add additional tins for bailout, or to gas switch on return from a deep dive you have to carry them all as side slings, the exception to this is you can mount a three each side of the box.
    The harness is CRAP, the placement of D rings is very poor. Aside from this it is a tried and tested unit (well the Classic is, as far as I am concerned the Evolution / Vision is too new to judge yet). A lot of people dive them, there is a reasonable aftermarket for bits and pieces and the company are, in gerneral, a dream to deal with.

The Meg on the other hand, is well strreamlined, offers a lot of options to customise it for travel / different dives and is fantastically made. The harness can be configred to suit and it is just fab.

The downside, and this is a very big one for me, is it is made in the states, spares have to come from there, you have to go there to be trained which means a solid week off work, and there is a 5 hour time difference if you have an insoluable problem.

Price wise, with the dollar as weak as it is, the Meg is a very attractive option at the moment.

To be honest, if it was me, I would be leaning towards the meg. even with the USA issue.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky
    having read a fair bit lately i think i'm down to choosing between apd or the meg .have a fair few freinds with a ybod but have never even seen a meg other than ce approval at present & a fancy case on the ybod are there any differences as in problems that i may have missed ? also does anubody know of an instructor who does try dives on the meg ?
    tia
    colin

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Hi Colin,

As you know I dive a Meg - how I got there was a long painful route....

To be honest I had ordered a new Inspiration about last August time as I thought that was all there was! (My mate since took the order over and still has not got it!)

I waited and waited and waited and got sick of waiting so started looking around and found a little information here and there and realisied there were other choices.

[Side note thats how I decided to do RBW as there was not a single source of RB information and poeple on the net]

Well I discovered the Meg and spoke to a few people abut what they though of different things, I also spent a couple of hours on the phone to Leon at ISC over a period of days.

If I was you I would ring up and talk to Leon if you are considering it and I am also happy to chat - PM me if you would like to. I also teach at Wraysbury so if you want to get hands on with a unit let me know.

The Meg is made in the states, but you can get trained over here, our own decodiver and Christ Hutchins are bother certed to teach the unit.

In terms of if things go wrong - well I have a full spare parts kit and feel confident of fixing anything but the electronics / solenoid. I know if I needed to Leon would fedex me what I needed within 24 / 48 hours.

The build quality is such as well that you dont have to worry about things going wrong so much (how many people had faults on their brand new inspirations on the board?).

My advice though - if your thinking of a Meg go get it from the factory and see how they are made!

I love everything on the Meg - the buidl Quality, the electronics, the HUD, the flexibility of it, the way it holds you in the water and the fact it is so streamlined. Not too mention how easy it is to travel with.

Stuart

PS waiting list for a Meg - 2 months!! think Insp / Evo with new leccies is 6 to 9 months?

New Member under pressure is an unknown quantity at this point under pressure's Avatar
    Having been waiting forever for my Inspiration, I can tell you that the waiting time for a new YBOD with Carlos Fandangle leccies and the new anal thermometer is EIGHT TO TEN MONTHS

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar
    Could not agree more, infact with the pound so strong you are getting a great price

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    A quick reply,

I dive a YBOD, I love it, but; it has all the streamlining properties of a Tank, if you want to add additional tins for bailout, or to gas switch on return from a deep dive you have to carry them all as side slings, the exception to this is you can mount a three each side of the box.
    The harness is CRAP, the placement of D rings is very poor. Aside from this it is a tried and tested unit (well the Classic is, as far as I am concerned the Evolution / Vision is too new to judge yet). A lot of people dive them, there is a reasonable aftermarket for bits and pieces and the company are, in gerneral, a dream to deal with.

The Meg on the other hand, is well strreamlined, offers a lot of options to customise it for travel / different dives and is fantastically made. The harness can be configred to suit and it is just fab.

The downside, and this is a very big one for me, is it is made in the states, spares have to come from there, you have to go there to be trained which means a solid week off work, and there is a 5 hour time difference if you have an insoluable problem.

Price wise, with the dollar as weak as it is, the Meg is a very attractive option at the moment.

To be honest, if it was me, I would be leaning towards the meg. even with the USA issue.

Andrew

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Hi

I have a YBOD classic. Andyp listed all the bad bits and he is spot on. The good bit is you can pick up a second hand unit cheep as chips now. Two units were on the market last week for 3k with only training dives on them. The harness is crap so bit it and put a back plate on but there is sod all you can do about the weight for transport and the streamlining.

The EVO is a dreem to dive its small light very clever with the usefull temp stick and swims like twin 7's. BUT expensive and 10month waiting list. If I go UK thats the one for me.

The Meg looks great it seems very flexable. Transportation seems great build quality is very good and "It apears" streemlined but I havent dived one yet so i will withhold final judgement on that.

Personaly I am on the side of the Meg at the moment.

ATB

Mark Chase

Maximum ****** RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave has a spectacular aura about RebreatherDave's Avatar
    Aluminum or any metal makes for a very poorly performing material for a scrubber housing. Plastic insulates the heated scrubber far better, which is one of the reasons the Inspiration scubber duration doesn't make that much difference between cold and warm water. The inexpensive work around is a sponge neoprene scrubber wrap.

Aluminum is far easier to manufacturer than engineered/welded plastic.

Since all oxygen sensors and electronics in salt water have issues, if any other rebreathers were out there in remotely the same quantitites of the Inspiration, you would be hearing of far more issues too.

I have never heard naything bad about Megs, although calling it "streamlined: underwater is a joke, all these standard sized CCRS are hydrodynamic pigs.....

Remember, there are more Inspirations out there than all other rebreathers COMBINED!

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    A quick reply,

Andrew

Aw come'on over. The hop over the pond isn't that bad! I made the trip to the UK years ago to get trained on YBOD! If anything, you get a great bargain with the anemic dollar and you don't necessarily have to get factory training. There are more than enough Meg dealers about on the East Coast of the US. Another thing you might be able to do away with is your dreaded VAT! Isn't that 18% now!

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherDave
    Aluminum or any metal makes for a very poorly performing material for a scrubber housing. Plastic insulates the heated scrubber far better, which is one of the reasons the Inspiration scubber duration doesn't make that much difference between cold and warm water. The inexpensive work around is a sponge neoprene scrubber wrap.
    The scrubber housing on the Meg is made of plastic with an air gap and then the alu can.

I have dived it in 4oC Water and consistantly get a loop temperature of 10oC or better - no complaints about insulating properties there!

I'd be interested to see the test data which shows that temp does not make that much difference in the Inspiration, as a lot of people I know regular run them to 5 plus hours in the red sea but would not dream of doing it in cold UK waters where 3 for them is the norm, also from a few chats to people with temp sticks it would appear that in warm waters they are getting 2 or so hours more out of the new Evo compared to cold water.

Stuart

USSMEG USSMEG has a spectacular aura about USSMEG has a spectacular aura about USSMEG has a spectacular aura about USSMEG has a spectacular aura about USSMEG has a spectacular aura about USSMEG has a spectacular aura about USSMEG's Avatar
    Having owned both, I only dive the MEG, and I only got the YBOD till the MEG came in. I have to say as I have before; the Quality of the MEG speaks for itself. You are on home turf for the YBOD, but almost 2 years on the MEG and nothing has been replaced!

I'm about to change over to the ‘Shearwater Electronics’ and it look’s real nice. Go with the MEG if you don't like it you’ll have no problem trading it or selling it and then get a YBOD.

Good Luck

Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast