+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boosting He with a Jetsam Baby Booster

RBW Member CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900's Avatar

Boosting He with a Jetsam Baby Booster

Would any kind soul care to tell me,before I try, if boosting He to 200bar with an O2 clean Jetsam Baby booster is a non starter. On two points:
    • Boost ratio
    • Is He from a J normally O2 clean?
    Fil

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: Boosting He with a Jetsam Baby Booster

Fil,

I can't tell you about the actual boost ratio for Helium since I have always pumped Helium thru the compressor, but it shouldn't be much different from boosting O2 since the cycle rate is quite slow.

I have never thought twice about using my O2-cleaned whip/parts with pure Helium. So far so good...

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by CCR900
    Would any kind soul care to tell me,before I try, if boosting He to 200bar with an O2 clean Jetsam Baby booster is a non starter. On two points:
    • Boost ratio
    Fil
    only problem I see is when the valves are not 100% clean, the leak-rate will decrease performance for boosting helium far more then when boosting oxigen

I know when I have to open and clean the valves, when I can still boost oxigen, but not helium!

with clean valves, from 100 to 200 bar is no problem

regards
    paul
    Last edited by paulraymaekers; 1st August 2006 at 14:01.
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

• Boost ratio
    Fil
    Boosting with He is supposed to be 3:1 as apposed to 5:1 with O2.
    I've not had a problem not gone behond 160 is only use it on top offs at the moment, but it seems OK so far.

My booster review

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RBW Member iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm has a brilliant future iain-hsm's Avatar

• Boost ratio
    Fil
    Look at heat generated being the problem with Helium during compression He will produce as much heat at >50 bar (725psig)than Nitrogen, Air or Oxygen will at <200 barg (3000psig). So to get around this the manufacturer advises to adjust up the compreession ratio to compensate for the heat generated rather than having a bigger cooling capacity design in the pump.
    OK so far. But because there is no safety thermal cut out in these products you now run the risk of overheating the pump with helium causing the PTFE rings to wear. This is OK with an inert gas like Helium it just wont pump and leaks.

But say the next time you use the pump is with Oxygen on overheated rings then a metal piston, (S.steel) in this case pushing against a S.steel liner, with oxygen as the fluid gas this creates friction an is the cause effect of your fully blown oxygen fire. These are put down to user error operating with worn rings.

Also compresion ratio has the same effect as you lower the inlet pressure during compression This is again dependant on your doner cylinder size and pressure It may be OK at start say <100 bar (1450psig) but filling large cylinders say with a 200barg (3000psi) the doner cylinder pressure drops. This in effect also effects the compresion ratio and heat generated.
    Again as these boosters were designed for inert gas only not oxygen they are not provided with a low pressure cut off valve so you can keep scaving down again either until no flow or ignition. The one saving factor is there size being so smalll the charging rate is minuite so as to minimise the risk, but this is by favour not design.

Helium is by its description not Oxygen clean, it is an inert gas, However your concern should be particulate matter dust, rust etc making contact with the compressor when pumping oxygen.
    Again a properly designed oxygen compresor would be provided with 2Mu particulate filter on the inlet side of the compressor to protect from partical impingment and ignition as well as another 2mu on the outlet side togeter with a non return valve to protect the charged cylinder from compression ring wear material and the check valve is to protect the operator in the event of a fire not feeding further fuel from the high pressure cylinder.

I would ask the supplier how long to fill say a 19 cuft with only 725 psi in it from a storage J tank with 1500psi in it then how long to fill from the storage tank at say 725psi The "trick" is some manufacturs calculate based on the doner cylinder at a constant pressure which in fact it is not, just ask the question and find out. Iain

RBW Member CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900's Avatar

Thanks for all the feed back.

F