+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oriskany

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

Re: Oriskany

I dove the Oriskany in Aug on a CCR. Did 3 dives - one to tie in, one dive to see the rudder and then all the way around the flight deck edge (scooters rock), thru the hanger deck and then a final dive w/ one of the OC guys to max of 130'. Underwater time was close to 4 hours. Spent at least 90 minutes at 20 feet for deco.

CCRs are the way to go if you decide to go deep. Try to meet up with some of these guys in person. Great way to learn about the gear.

RBW Writer Sue has a spectacular aura about Sue has a spectacular aura about Sue has a spectacular aura about Sue has a spectacular aura about Sue has a spectacular aura about Sue's Avatar

I'm planning a day or two in Pensacola to dive the Oriskany, around the 14th and/or 15th November - after DEMA.
    Following Bentic and Hchoat advice I'm contacting Florida Dive Pros.
    We'll be bringing our Megs.

Anybody want to join us?

Sue

RBW Member Homem do Leme is an unknown quantity at this point Homem do Leme's Avatar

Sue rules...

Photos, i want photos in Planeta SFF.

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

All this talk of hooking in, etc etc etc...

Your telling me that there aren't moorings on it?

We've now got 4 prepared ex Navy vessels as dive wrecks here in oz, with another one next year, and another the year after, they all have multi-tonne blocks of concrete on the seabed right next to them, with mooring buoys. There are lines running from about the 5-10 meter (note the REAL numbers! ) mark, to the top of the deck, or somewhere in about 10-15m, from each buoy. The two I've dived (ex-HMAS Hobart and ex-HMAS Brisbane, both Charles F Adams class DDG's) have over 6 moorings on each. Anchoring is banned. There are moorings dedicated to the commercial vessels, as well as moorings for private / club boats...

The government has paid that much money to put the wreck there, we have to pay to dive it, why wouldn't you expect them to put the moorings on it?

Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Megladon

Quote Originally Posted by sadave  View Original Post
    All this talk of hooking in, etc etc etc...

Your telling me that there aren't moorings on it?

We've now got 4 prepared ex Navy vessels as dive wrecks here in oz, with another one next year, and another the year after, they all have multi-tonne blocks of concrete on the seabed right next to them, with mooring buoys. There are lines running from about the 5-10 meter (note the REAL numbers! ) mark, to the top of the deck, or somewhere in about 10-15m, from each buoy. The two I've dived (ex-HMAS Hobart and ex-HMAS Brisbane, both Charles F Adams class DDG's) have over 6 moorings on each. Anchoring is banned. There are moorings dedicated to the commercial vessels, as well as moorings for private / club boats...

The government has paid that much money to put the wreck there, we have to pay to dive it, why wouldn't you expect them to put the moorings on it?
    Dave,

There are no public moorings on the Oriskany. A few enterprising charter ops have installed their own, but none are publicly maintained. The reason for this is that the local government (Escambia County) would be required not only to install, but to maintain the moorings. There is no budget for this, and the artificial reef committee was concerned about liability as well. FWIW, there are lots of artificial reefs in this area, and none of the others have moorings either. It isn't an environmental issue here, as we have a white sand bottom, so there is no coral to harm when dropping an anchor.

H

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

There's another problem with moorings around here as well - there's a substantial body of fishermen in this area that do not like divers, including some that have been known to "fish for diver" with jigs and such - they would almost certainly cut the moorings intentionally if they were on the surface, and there would be plenty of incidents with people "accidentally" snagging them, etc.

As Heather noted, its not a big deal to either grapple the structure or drop an anchor, although dropping a hook on the "O" intended to hook the bottom would not be my preferred option - if it fouls on the wreck you need to be prepared to go to the sand to clear it or cut it away.

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

Guess the flight deck was too far for someone to go... in Aug, there was a nice shiny anchor, probably for a 20-24 foot boat, sitting on the edge of the flight deck... can't honestly remember if it was the bow or stern. Seen so many anchors and chains on deep wrecks that I'll never have to buy another one again. Now if I can find me a nice rod and reel......

Another thing that worried me before I found out there was underwater moorings... what happens when the next boat shows up and tried to anchor on the stern or side thinking no one is there.... being too deep. I'd be pretty unhappy to have an anchor hit me while I'm practicing my approaches to the flight deck. ;)

Bummer about the fishermen. Hate it when people don't play nice in the underwater sandbox. I've had a few trips on my boat where fishing boats were drifting too close to my boat w/ the dive flag up (and divers in the water). So I just pulled out the camera and took a few pictures of them and they took off. What was really weird is that there was no boat name nor any reg #'s on the side. Boat looked like some of these big charter boats and I don't think I've seen #'s on them either. Should be a law that you have to display some identifying marks on your boat - name and port or at least reg #'s.

Getting off topic... sorry. Safe diving.

RBW Member PPA is an unknown quantity at this point PPA's Avatar

Hi

I intend to dive the Oriskany on the 14 or 15 November ( after Dema). What water temperature should i expect. Should i wear a dry or wet suit.?
    Cheers
    Pedro

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

What do you consider "cold"?

Water temperature is likely to be in the mid to low 70s on the surface, and it may be considerably colder at depth - depending on how deep you intend to go.

The boat ride out and back may be VERY cold, depending on the WX. Right now its in the low 40s overnight here!

I'd dive dry.

RBW Member PPA is an unknown quantity at this point PPA's Avatar

Thanks
    I will dive dry for sure.
    Cheers
    Pedro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3