+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oriskany

RBW Member cvet78 is an unknown quantity at this point cvet78's Avatar

Thumbs up Oriskany

Just returned from diving the Oriskany. I did not take my rebreathers because we drove in from Houston (9 hrs) and was not sure of how the boat Capt. felt about having rebreathers onboard. I spoke to the Capt. Doug about having Rebreather and he had no problems with having them on the H2O below, which is a nice boat. The boat ride to the Oriskany was 2hrs. but the sea were calm and the diving was great, 100' vis and just easy diving. The crew had orange and watermelon for us when we came up from each dive and on the way back in they cooked for us. We hit the dock having food and lots of water.
    I will go back as soon as I can this is just a Great dive, good boat Capt. and crew.
    Capt Barney

New Member SubzeroDiver is an unknown quantity at this point SubzeroDiver's Avatar

Re: Oriskany

Quote Originally Posted by cvet78
    Just returned from diving the Oriskany. I did not take my rebreathers because we drove in from Houston (9 hrs) and was not sure of how the boat Capt. felt about having rebreathers onboard. I spoke to the Capt. Doug about having Rebreather and he had no problems with having them on the H2O below, which is a nice boat. The boat ride to the Oriskany was 2hrs. but the sea were calm and the diving was great, 100' vis and just easy diving. The crew had orange and watermelon for us when we came up from each dive and on the way back in they cooked for us. We hit the dock having food and lots of water.
    I will go back as soon as I can this is just a Great dive, good boat Capt. and crew.
    Capt Barney
    Did you get any U/W photos?
    Thanks Billy

Loving life 2 the fullest pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver's Avatar

Capt Barney
    Did you charter a boat or was this through a dive shop, and who are they?:D

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattimegdiver
    Did you charter a boat or was this through a dive shop, and who are they?:D
    Yes please post some contact info, thanks;)

RBW Member cvet78 is an unknown quantity at this point cvet78's Avatar

While on the trip to the Oriskany I shot about 25 min. of video on the first dive and 27 on the second. The dive shop that I used was MBT divers in Pensacola. There was another boat on the Oriskany that had a free diver who posed for me at 98 feet. Shot video of him as he seems so comfortable.

MEGalomaniac Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic is just really nice Benthic's Avatar

There was another boat on the Oriskany that had a free diver who posed for me at 98 feet.
    Sounds like Capt. Dave from the Y-Knot. He's snuck up on me at 80-90 feet before. :)

Brian

RBW Member Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic
    Sounds like Capt. Dave from the Y-Knot. He's snuck up on me at 80-90 feet before. :)

Brian
    Or maybe Captain Paolo Ghio (if he's around ) who dives off Tim Thorsen's boat (The Viking?)... or maybe Tim himself.

That'd be a tricky place to freedive when current's blowing, but right now Gulf waters are pretty darn near perfect.:)

Rick

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

Awesome. We're planning a trip in Aug and another one later this year. Always love to hear how trips out there go.

I keep hearing that it's not that busy . . . people who dive it don't see a lot of other dive boats.

RBW Member Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webhead
    I keep hearing that it's not that busy . . . people who dive it don't see a lot of other dive boats.
    Been out there three times this year (dove on it two trips, the other time at the Chevron Rig about a mile or two away) and seen a grand total of three OTHER boats out there--one one each trip. As the only place to tie in is onto the bridge (rises from 138-68 FSW off the deck), I'm not sure how many boats it could support out there...safely

With vis the way it is now, I might run out there next weekend to exercise my brand new VR3...
    Rick

New Member nurseling is an unknown quantity at this point nurseling's Avatar

I Have been out there a few times it's usually not to bad. The charter boats will tie in on a single line. The only bad thing is last boat on the line gets to play go fetch the tourist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast