+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lead-up dives for Trimix Course

Custom Title Allowed! Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook's Avatar

Question Lead-up dives for Trimix Course

Guys, I have a Meg Trimix course coming up in October. Since I'd rather turn up prepared, I'm just wondering what I should be practising prior to the course. Current list looks something like:

- Manual use of unit
    - Getting used to multiple stages (ditch/don, swap with buddy, using multiple offboard dils etc)
    - Full SCR ascent/deco with dil changes
    - OC ascent with gas switches
    - Deco planning

- all the above swimming, with no mask etc

Aside from getting in as much practise (plus doing as much diving as I can get in), is there anything obvious I've left off the list???????

Thanks,
    Robert

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook
    Guys, I have a Meg Trimix course coming up in October. Since I'd rather turn up prepared, I'm just wondering what I should be practising prior to the course. Current list looks something like:

- Manual use of unit
    - Getting used to multiple stages (ditch/don, swap with buddy, using multiple offboard dils etc)
    - Full SCR ascent/deco with dil changes
    - OC ascent with gas switches
    - Deco planning

- all the above swimming, with no mask etc

Aside from getting in as much practise (plus doing as much diving as I can get in), is there anything obvious I've left off the list???????

Thanks,
    Robert
    Hi Robert,

Your list is a good beginning for this course and I'm quite sure that your Instructor can also suggest a few other things for your preparation. I guess there is no Instructor here who wants to interfere with his job. At the end, everybody has his own teaching techniques...

But before practising anything else, I would strongly suggest that you first focus on the techniques you already learnt during your basic CCR course. And practise them again and again. It has to be "second nature" as you will have to use these techniques while doing new things at the same time. I think task-loading is one of the challenges of this course.

IMHO one of the techniques that's missing most of the time in the Mixed Gas CCR students I saw is buoyancy and trim control. If a CCR Diver can't remain horizontal (really horizontal), motionless (really motionless!!), in the shallows (with a very accurate depth control), it will be difficult for him to add multiple tasks and safely perform his decompression obligation.

I hope this will help.

Cheers

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar
    Is there any specific reason why all the above tasks have to be done without a mask ? How can you monitor your PPo2 ? (just asking for future reference) ?

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

you can monitor ppO2 by minumum loop volume, try to listen for soleinoid, go SCR etc. For the Mask... well you have to be prepared for the worst.... and i believe the instructor just loves to mess with you!!!!

/Jonny

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia
    Is there any specific reason why all the above tasks have to be done without a mask ? How can you monitor your PPo2 ? (just asking for future reference) ?
    I get students to remove stage cylinders in a blacked out mask and to reel off from them and return and replace correctly.

No-mask drills are important, but shouldn't be onerous ie SCR no mask etc, what is the point?

They should have a spare mask and demonstrate their ability to locate it, put it on and continue to do the particular skill throughout.

That demonstrates skill competency, task loading and stress management.

All good parts of a CCR Mix course IMHO.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook
    Guys, I have a Meg Trimix course coming up in October.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Hi Robert,

As mentionned above make sure your Mod 1 CCR skills are faultless.

I start the CCR Mixed gas course with a review of the Mod 1 skills to demonstrate that the student is capable of progressing to the next level.

Get those right and you will impress your instructor, it is then for him to build upon those skills.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Custom Title Allowed! Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've already done a heap of work on the Mod1 stuff, but I'll certainly keep going on that as well. For the trim, I'll be in a drysuit next month, then I can really start in on that. I don't find mixing up skills onerous at all - I find skill dives more interesting if they're challenging, but it's probably time to start making things a bit more specific for a while.

Pierre, I can monitor PPO2 with no mask via the HUD.

Thanks,

Robert

New Member Grassy is on a distinguished road Grassy is on a distinguished road Grassy's Avatar
    Rob

I would add one thing on top of that already said by others. And that is try and get a number of dives in some depth. There is the mental thing as well as true testing of buoyancy and trim with no stationary visual reference, following runtimes etc.

Skills wise the amount I have seen you practice I would hate to meet the instructor that is not impressed.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar
    This may sound stupid but here it is ! Sometimes I am afraid that in my course something is missing! That maybe something have been left out, so can someone be so patient to list all drills that should be practised ?

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    One extra thing has popped to mind - that was Leon told me to make sure I knew my VO2 max before doing full trimix.

EG - get at constant depth and swim fairly heavily back and for for 5 or 10 mins and work it out from the drop in pressue in your O2.

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast