+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sorb/Dust separation

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Sorb/Dust separation

When you get down the bottom of a keg of sorb, what do you do to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak?

I'm down to the end of my first large keg of sorb and this wasn't talked about in class that I can remember. We always filled from fresh, full kegs so the subject never came up.

There is quite a bit of dust mixed in with the sorb in the bottom, too much for a stiff breeze to sort out before it drops into the scrubber.

The best I can come up with is buy a few square feet of fine mesh screen to sift out the dust before pouring the remainder in the scrubber canister. I figure someone here has come up with something better, especially for traveling. Seems dumb to pack a bit of screen when some knowlege and/or local materials would work.

Steve

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Re: Sorb/Dust separation

personaly i throw the last bit away as it's just to dusty, but im shore otheres have there own advice on this
    kindest regards john routley
    www.narkedat90.co.uk
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Same here, trash bin.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Same here as well- I trash the last half inch or so. I've always been a believer that the more dust in the 'sorb, the stronger the caustic coctail if one one happens. Why chance it?

Ken

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Jeez you guys are wasteful
    Actually I just throw it out as well, but this post got me thinking

Grab a bucket and cut the bottom out of it, get some mesh, say fly screen or shade cloth and secure it to the bottom of the bucket.

Get all your old sorb containers and pour all the sorb into the bucket, give it a little shake shake shake under the fruit trees, cause they love the lime.... Then just top up existing full containers with what you get out of the bucket

Hey anything to save a few bucks.

Cheers
    Chriso

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

If you decant the sorb from the pack to a bucket and back again to another bucket, I find that the "chaff" blows away and also the fine dregs can be separated after each drain.
    A few decants later, I then fill my scrubber... works for me...

When I used my dolphin, I also used my vacuum cleaner to suck out the fine dust from the scrubber after it was packed, this helped also...

Cheers, JDZ

6Gill has a spectacular aura about 6Gill has a spectacular aura about 6Gill has a spectacular aura about 6Gill has a spectacular aura about 6Gill has a spectacular aura about 6Gill's Avatar

A trick I learned from Mel is to use a basket type sifter like is used in baking, a bit of breeze and it cleans up nicely.

Earning the green stuff.. webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead has a spectacular aura about webhead's Avatar

The reusable coffee filters for a coffee maker is small (travel size) and works well for this.

Of course, if you have a meg, you could do the sift in the scrubber itself - work the powder out of the sorb, pour sorb back into bowl/keg and wipe powder from scrubber.

New Member bhackett is an unknown quantity at this point bhackett's Avatar

Or just use it to top off your next bucket of sorb, the remaining dust should filter down to the bottom like it did in your current bucket.

Brian

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jdz
    If you decant the sorb from the pack to a bucket and back again to another bucket, I find that the "chaff" blows away and also the fine dregs can be separated after each drain.
    A few decants later, I then fill my scrubber... works for me...

When I used my dolphin, I also used my vacuum cleaner to suck out the fine dust from the scrubber after it was packed, this helped also...

Cheers, JDZ

Hi John, great minds think a like. I've never had a problem finding a strainer in a kitchen to use as a sifter while pouring the sorb dreggs, like flour. If there's a vacuum cleaner around, I'll zap it with that after packing. Even without these tools/insurances, I've found that the moisture produced by the CO2 reaction settles the dust in short order. Not comforting, but realistic... -Andy

+ Reply to Thread