+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Solo rebreather diving?

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Question Solo rebreather diving?

Hi,

Everybody knows the old discussion about solo diving and the risks vs benefits of it.

But with the growth of the RBW Forum and a lot of members from all over the world, it could interesting to get information about what happens in the real world.

Do you enjoy solo rebreather diving or does it scare you? Is it possible to decrease the risks?

Personaly I mainly solo dive with my Meg when I dive small caves or penetrate far into a wreck. I prefer to be on my own in this case as it's quite difficult to deal with another diver (specialy an OC diver) in distress while being in a restriction. Statistics show that it very often ends up with a 2-fatalities-rather-than-1 type of accident.

Otherwise if I have the opportunity to dive with a competent and self-dependant CCR diver, that will be my first choice; not for a safety standpoint but for the fun to share the experience with someone else.

Cheers

Decodiver
    I dive predominantly solo.

Obviously this changes when teaching, as I always have in-water rescue diver(s), and like Cedric I do like going to dives with mates, however once in the water I am on my own.

The only time I will dive with a buddy is when we are after a specific piece of spidge..................

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I tried to avoid solo diving with CCR as I think it is more dangerous than solo diving on OC. The chances of passing out on a rebreather are far greater than on OC but the incident reports of divers passing out but staying on loop and not dieing until the gass ran out or being rescued by other divers make be think that its a situation that is easily avoidable so why risk it?

Unfortunately I love solo diving. It is just so stress free and perfect that I know I canít resist when the opportunity arises. When my buddy has had enough for the day or he canít make it on the trip I will undoubtedly be found solo diving.

SO far I have only done a handful of solo dives on the box but the more diving I do on the unit the better I feel about doing it. Wreck penetration solo I tend to be less adventurous than I would be with a buddy.

ATB

Mark Chase

Bob.P robprice is an unknown quantity at this point robprice's Avatar

Solo diving

I never use to solo dive untill I went ccr. As I work away alot, when I get back I find I can not wait untill the weekends to dive.
    As not too many dive in the week I have started to dive solo.
    As I want to put time in on the ccr.
    I only started to do this when I was fully aware of what I had been taught.
    Also I could spend a lot of time at the shallower depth doing drills and going over differant things that may go wrong allowing me to cope with them better.
    Due to this I have improved alot.

Robprice

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

I dove solo many time, specially for job.

Also for recreational dives I like to go solo, same with my homebuild.

I think it's a kind of feeling: do you like it? go! Otherwise don't force it.

Nad

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

option missing

I have not dived solo on RB but I expect to start doing it soon. Right now the closest I've come is SOSD dives. I guess when I am as comfortable on CCR as I am on OC I will dive the same way I do on OC and that is often solo.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

Yesterday I had a buddy, 'cause the boat driver managed to pick onto reef and there was no sign of the wreck (just some old old coal about) so we teamed up to search. Normally it same ocean diving: other guys about, dum dee dum, dum dee dah... just give a wave, and ask if something looks awry.

If I'm diving with my partner, then I have a buddy.

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar
    In 10 years diving I only dive maybe 3 times solo apart from some jobs I had to do underwater and thses being very shallow. I don't know why I feel more comfy to dive solo in a CCR then OC altough it's not what I want to do. Apart from that I have too much fun both above and below water with my buddies! Also who will pay me beer if I go solo :)

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia
    Also who will pay me beer if I go solo :)
    This is a good point vs. diving solo!

Nad

Custom Title Allowed! Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook's Avatar
    I do most of my practise dives solo - haven't found a buddy yet who wants to sit around watching me do drills for an hour and a half. I've also done real dives solo on occasion, but not all that often. Haven't done solo in an overhead environment yet, but I'm sure that will come in time.

Overall, it's a safety comprimise - I've got less backup available, but the bit that nobody mentions is that in theory I'm much less likely to have to assist/rescue anyone else while solo. I say in theory because I've never had to rescue my buddy - it's always somebody I happen to bump into during the dive. There's also the issue with weather a random buddy is likely to be able to assist/rescue me from a real emergency - a few would be able to, most wouldn't,

Thanks,
    Robert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast