+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamato

RBW Member Dr. Surgery is an unknown quantity at this point Dr. Surgery's Avatar

Yamato

I have a really crazy idea and I am curious why no one has done this yet. I am currently studying history, and have become interested in the wreck of the IJN Yamato, the capital ship for the Imperial Japanese Navy. It currently rests under 1,120 feet of water. Although this is incredibly deep, it is less than 100 feet deeper than the worlds deepest scuba dive, and within the range of the Comex Hydra 8 and X simulated dives. Why has no one taken to diving the Yamato so far, and if one were to attempt to do so, what would be some of the challenges that one would have to overcome if they were to attempt to do so?

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Re: Yamato

Well besides the fact that she's a war grave...
    You probably need to have a bit of money, like Paul Allen amounts of money. Both for the support ship, the ROV, the chambers, the staff, and to navigate the labyrinth of diplomatic nuances to justify your dive.
    Or you could just watch the ROV footage of the sister ship Mushasi and avoid the million+ dollars a minute bounce dive.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

For that much effort why not make it a 2 minute bounce dive? Only a couple more hours of deco.

Not like you are going to see anything, or even remember it

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

The bottom currents on deep dives are almost impossible to account for without a bunch ROV dives to determine when and if there is ever a slack moment on the bottom. IIRC, attempts to dive the Yamishiro, which is shallower, were plagued by ripping bottom currents, which is an immensely dangerous environmental condition to deal with on CCR at that depth. I doubt any similar commercial dives would ever be allowed without extensive surveys of the bottom conditions, doing otherwise is bordering on a suicidal level of risk. In the best of conditions it would be a monumental effort.

If we are talking about amazing undived wrecks, why hasn’t anybody put together an expedition to dive the deep wrecks in Rabaul/Simpson harbor? There are 40+(!) virgin WW2 wrecks, none of which are, IIRC, deeper than 100m. People spend a fortune to go to Bikini and other places to see things which have been seen by many. I dont understand why nobody ever talks about Rabaul or Hansa Bay in northern PNG, both of which have enormous numbers of wrecks in diveable depths...
    Last edited by silent running; 4th February 2019 at 07:57.

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Were wrecks there buried in ash from a volcanic eruption?

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by John Liddiard  View Original Post
    Were wrecks there buried in ash from a volcanic eruption?
    It is my understanding it was only the wrecks that were in the shallower water near shore that were covered in lava. I don’t think lava flows can make their way into deep water as they begin to quickly solidify when they hit the water. There are a bunch in the deeper part of the harbor and channel approach that have never been dived, according to Capt Craig De Witt of MV Golden Dawn and and Rod Pierce of the Barbarian, who I believe has sonar marks but is now retired. Capt Craig asked me to post the idea of a potential trip on RBW, which I did way back in 2006. Nobody even replied to the post...

Prism

Dolphin

And BTW, that P-38 avatar photo is from PNG. I’m a huge PNG diving/general booster, if only they had reasonable gateway airfares and a slightly less corrupt government. If so, they could easily become the Switzerland of the Pacific, but alas...
    Last edited by silent running; 6th February 2019 at 09:12.

+ Reply to Thread