+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: suit gas

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: suit gas

http://trero.org/reference-library/#post_335

Risberg J, Hope A – Thermal insulation properties of argon used as a dry suit inflation gas

Lippit MW, Nuckols ML – Active diver thermal protection requirements for cold water diving

Using a higher Helium concentration in your dry suit than what you are breathing can put one at risk for superficial isobaric counter diffusion resulting in skin bends.
    Breathing helium and inflating with nitrox, however, does not.

Lambertson, Christian J (1989). "Relations of isobaric gas counterdiffusion and decompression gas lesion diseases". In Vann, RD. The Physiological Basis of Decompression. 38th Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Workshop. UHMS Publication Number 75(Phys)6-1-89. Retrieved 10 January 2010.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Sorry can't quote book s or papers . Well I could lol.

IV run 18/45 through my suit as a test and yes it's not the best . But it's not going to kill you lol

Used nitrox in suit 28% and up to 80% and O2 never set my self a blaze or blow up. You make your Owen mind up .
    I won't use argon as I won't hump a gas I can't breathe on the dive.

Also transferred O2 from J cylinder to unclean scuba tat.
    But that's a different story

Im sure I said nitrox preferred in my other post, Maybe some don't read all the post just grab at the head line and start snipping.
    Or posting books and paper I'm may have read in the 90s lol
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 6th February 2019 at 00:28.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Would someone mind snapping a few clear pics and posting it up. That way there will be some clear pictures somewhere on the web to look at. Not just me, I am sure others in the future will want to see your handywork as well.

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Olsen DK  View Original Post
    When traveling i always use the BO air or EAN50 bottle for suit inflation (in order not to have to use the limited luggage allowance in airlines to this bottle) so why not only use that one when home as well......
    Absolutely agree with that approach... until there is cause to hand-off your BO. I think this is the drill that the OP's instructor will be wanting to test in the next level training. Once That's out the way, fill your boots.. with anything without a high He or O2 content LoL ��
    Last edited by deepdave; 5th February 2019 at 21:00.

RBW Member Andrewdd is an unknown quantity at this point Andrewdd's Avatar
    rEvoIII hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    ???????

My "rich" gas is 50%. Not sure what you are talking about.
    I was taught 50% or above can combust, and on the experience side of things, I had a friend suffer burns requiring a skin graft on his back when using an O2 rich mix as a suit inflater. Possibly a rare event but catastrophic when it happens.
    I have also had a brand new O2 clean stage cylinder combust and melt a new O2 analyser when it combusted.
    Therefore I use air or maybe a weak nitrox mix as a suit gas.

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Similar incident occurred over here on a 90M dive a few years back. Ignition caused by a heated vest used with a high O2 mix for the dry suit. Injured party flooded the dry suit and had to do 2-3 hours deco with significant burns all over his upper torso.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    Similar incident occurred over here on a 90M dive a few years back. Ignition caused by a heated vest used with a high O2 mix for the dry suit. Injured party flooded the dry suit and had to do 2-3 hours deco with significant burns all over his upper torso.

ffs

like i said no smoking

RBW Member Olsen DK is an unknown quantity at this point Olsen DK's Avatar
    Prism2

Dräger Ray

Quote Originally Posted by deepdave  View Original Post
    Absolutely agree with that approach... until there is cause to hand-off your BO. I think this is the drill that the OP's instructor will be wanting to test in the next level training. Once That's out the way, fill your boots.. with anything without a high He or O2 content LoL ��
    Well in case of hand-off my BO (also used for suit gas) we will be on our way up, and then i do not need the suit gas. If deeper and more than 1 BO bottle then i have an extra inflation hose on all the BO's, and its fast connection is the same type as all the connections i use. Thus i can use the deep BO for the suite as well if really needed.

I see no reason why the OP can't do the same during the training to the next level unless some training agency have a somewhat "Alternative" philosophy

just to split hairs:

Your 50% injected into the dry suit will be diluted by the residual gas in the suit to less than 50%. Therefore, I will be worried about any spontaneous combustion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast