+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: suit gas

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Re: suit gas

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    Similar incident occurred over here on a 90M dive a few years back. Ignition caused by a heated vest used with a high O2 mix for the dry suit. Injured party flooded the dry suit and had to do 2-3 hours deco with significant burns all over his upper torso.
    Happened here recently as well. 20+mins of deco left, 3rd degree burns on his torso. Only thing that extinguished the fire was the suit melting though. The nichrome wires in the heated vest broke causing a high resistance spot that ignited the other vest materials. Not sure what the suit gas was, the victim stopped discussing the incident.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Happened here recently as well. 20+mins of deco left, 3rd degree burns on his torso. Only thing that extinguished the fire was the suit melting though. The nichrome wires in the heated vest broke causing a high resistance spot that ignited the other vest materials. Not sure what the suit gas was, the victim stopped discussing the incident.

maybe argon would be better when using a heated vest , ie a smoking gun lol

in the real world i think its 23% and over is in need of oxygen service

maybe your just fanning the flames on matter what breathing gas is feeding the suit / fire
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 6th February 2019 at 19:50.

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    Similar incident occurred over here on a 90M dive a few years back. Ignition caused by a heated vest used with a high O2 mix for the dry suit. Injured party flooded the dry suit and had to do 2-3 hours deco with significant burns all over his upper torso.
    Did it not involve the use of chemical heatpads that didn't take well to being in a suit at 10bar?
    Maybe it's a different case.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

I've heard of the chemical heat packs. The slow time release is based on nitrogen in the air regulating the reaction. High O2 speeds up the reaction. They were designed to work in air, not an oxygen rich (and pressurized) environment. Avoid those.

So no He in the suit, unless I am overheating in which case it might be a good thing. Might try this summer on some practice dives.
    No high O2 in the suit, unless I want to gamble at severely overheating. Don't want an Apollo 1 it.

Waiting on the (nearly free) AL13 to make it back from hydro. Then it is setup time and try it. At times like this I miss my old house with a pool.

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Morgan  View Original Post
    Did it not involve the use of chemical heatpads that didn't take well to being in a suit at 10bar?
    Maybe it's a different case.
    That’s the one, they did not work well combined with a rich suit gas

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Even with 21% my dive buddy almost got burns at 200ft

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    SF2 eCCR

rEvo II mini

My recommendation would be to get multiple AL6s or an AL13. Swap out the AL6 for a 2nd dive if you can. I save the Al13s for deeper than 60-70m dives.

Personally for me I like the compactness of an AL6 but I use suit gas a lot and as a result I struggle to get two long dives dives out of a AL6 at 60m (200ft). I know others are perfectly fine doing two 60m dives on an AL6 so your mileage may vary. If I don't swap out bottles on a 2nd dive then I'm almost always plugging in my 50% bottle on deco. I've plugged in trimix more times than I can count and you can definitely notice it but if it's between that and not having anything..well.. All of your bailout/stage/deco regs should have an LP inflator hose on them so you can plumb in offboard gas or use for suit inflation when appropriate.

The rEvo side mounting bracket works fine for either just make sure to mount the tank high enough so it doesn't interfere with you reaching your diluent valve especially with bulky dryglove rings if you're using them. I'm quite fond of the tank valves DUI uses if you can get one but normal valves are perfectly fine too.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/ljdpjzp

On shallow dives where I am not carrying trimix I just run off my bailouts and don't worry about it. Keep it simple. I much prefer running my drysuit on offboard especially in caves or dives where you have a sawtooth profile. You'll blow those one of those little AL6s in no time..

Personally I'd skip a button gauge on your inflation reg. It's not really needed but it wont hurt anything. Just top off / transfill when appropriate. You definitely want an OPV on there though. I have a couple of the generic highland first stages designed for use on inflation bottles / ponies. I believe bunch of different vendors sell them. They're cheap piston designs and the HP seat is reversible if you need to rebuild them quickly in the field. They've flooded dozens of times but keep on working.

Apeks DS4s or US4s work well too but I see no need to "waste" a perfectly good Apeks first stage for an inflation bottle.

https://www.xsscuba.com/regulators/c...in-first-stage
    https://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsscdf/...in-first-stage
    https://www.divegearexpress.com/dive...tion-regulator
    Last edited by macado; 7th February 2019 at 18:42. Reason: added more info

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

I was aiming for an AL6, but an AL13 just landed in my lap. For the price of a hydro I have a starting point. If I find it too bulky I can go back to my first plan of finding an AL6.

I'll probably start with the button gauge just to track gas usage a little easier. Once I know what I am going through it may just get left off during a service. I don't think I got through a lot of gas, but I have never tracked it before either.

I haven't decided if the spare reg from the sidemount setup will be bailout or suit gas. I need to pull it out and look at it.

RBW Member techintime is an unknown quantity at this point techintime's Avatar
    Revo III micro FT RMS

I bungee a AL6 under the wing and against the waist with the 1st stage down. I turn the handle so that I don't confuse it with the O2 valve. I have used it 100m dives with plenty left over after the dive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4