+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on eliminating molex splitters in favor of hard connections.

RBW Member mfascuba is an unknown quantity at this point mfascuba's Avatar
    Kiss sidekick

Question on eliminating molex splitters in favor of hard connections.

I have a question on how much is enough and how much is too much. I have a KISS sidekick that has a fisher cable and a narked@90 HUD installed on it. They connect via a molex splitter to the cells. I'm brand new to this rebreather thing, but I'm not new to digging into my own gear to remove failure points. I see the splitters as a failure point, as I had them crap up on my last week (the dreaded "voting failed" message on the Petrel 2). This was traced back to some corrosion on the splitter connections.

So, acknowledging that there needs to be a connector where the wiring connects to each of the cells, and that the molex connectors, while pretty cheesey, are still not too bad to clean up and put back in service if corroded, I am thinking of hard connecting (soldering and heat shrinking over) the connections between the incoming wiring from the two displays, so the only mechanical connections remaining are at the actual sensor connections. I've been soldering small wiring for almost 50 years (my father was an engineer at Bell Laboratories in its golden years), and can control the heat, etc., so I'm not concerned about the quality of the finished solder joints.

My question is this - is there a down side? For example, I'm taking the unit to Truk later this year, and if something craps out I'm at a disadvantage in my ability to fix it. I could bring a set of molex terminals, connector bodies, a crimper, the splitters I have, and a replacement fisher cable, HUD and Petrel 2. Probably overkill, but it would allow me to replace any individual part in the field. Thoughts?

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Re: Question on eliminating molex splitters in favor of hard connections.

I have a fisher and a hud on my sidewinder as well. I generously coated my splitters with deoxit. Then left them in-situ.

I don't think there's a downside to joining both wires then putting the molex on though. I would suggest making a tiny ~15mm pigtail and joining fisher and hud wire to that. Then heat shrink and seal that joint. Then put the molex onto the pigtail. If you need to replace the molex pin you can then just cut back the pigtail.

If everything goes to hell in truk, you could just replace the fisher and dive without a hud.

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Re: Question on eliminating molex splitters in favor of hard connections.

Hello,

My unit is a Classic Kiss and it also develops a corrosion problem at the molex pins terminations.

It might be that by removing the splitters, the corrosion spots would be produced in the pins of the molex that are attached to the cells, that´s is my case.

As of now, the only solution I have found so far to alliviate the problem is to use good quality gold plated pins and put some cristolube grease in them. Stiill, the terminations are to be cut and renewed every two-three years.

+ Reply to Thread