+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How I dry my lungs out

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: How I dry my lungs out

Quote Originally Posted by jukkao  View Original Post
    What kind of problems have happened without drying?
    Jukka
    None for me, in 9 years of CCR diving.

My JJ sits on the deck of the boat for most of the year with just the occasional rinse with fresh water. I maybe rinse once or twice each year with Virkon or such but it's rare.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I haven't disinfected anything in quite sometime. I rinse with water, hang to dry in my shack with a dehumidifier. A loop dryer looks like a solution, looking for a problem

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    I haven't disinfected anything in quite sometime. I rinse with water, hang to dry in my shack with a dehumidifier. A loop dryer looks like a solution, looking for a problem
    ... or a solution for those without a dehumidifier.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Personally, I'm more concerned about dust in the loop, than I am anything bacterial. Tap water (unless you are on a well) already has some Chloramine in it.

Build a system that will get dust out of sorb, I'd be all over it.

Loop drier, meh. Even without the dehumidifier, I hung mine to dry for years. Since loop dryers dont exist, that makes hundreds of people doing it, for many years, and coming along just fine.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

I think the idea with the loop dryers is just to speed things up. If you don't want or need the drying process speeded up, you don't need a dryer. The key thing is to disinfect and dry; the rest is just methodology and tools.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    Personally, I'm more concerned about dust in the loop, than I am anything bacterial. Tap water (unless you are on a well) already has some Chloramine in it.

Build a system that will get dust out of sorb, I'd be all over it.

Loop drier, meh. Even without the dehumidifier, I hung mine to dry for years. Since loop dryers dont exist, that makes hundreds of people doing it, for many years, and coming along just fine.

Jeff,

the amount of chloramine added to drinking water is to kill germs in drinking water and not kill germs in your loop. Not to mention dealing with mold.

The incidence with the bag piper is not unique, in so far as, people who are using CPAP machines for their sleep apnea frequently also suffer from sinusitis and colds when not properly treating those hoses and mask.

That being said, given that most CCR divers are not reporting pulmonary infections, I wonder how much crud is actually growing in our hoses and CL. Still waiting for data coming from Mitchell et al who are studying the effectiveness of different disinfectants which should include germ/mold data from loops not treated at all.

In the meantime to be safe and for aesthetics, I will continue to disinfect and dry my loop.

RBW Member wwjk is an unknown quantity at this point wwjk's Avatar
    SF2, T-Reb

I'm using a shoe dryer like this one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SHOES-BOOTS-...edirect=mobile
    Works like a charm, within 2 hours loop and lung are dry.

Meg

KISS

true chhloramine wont kill germs pers se, but it makes the water left there relatively inhospitable for them to grown too.

But now we arent talking about loop dryers anymore, but disinfecting loops. Which is unarguably a good practice, but not necessarily a required practice

Meg

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by wwjk  View Original Post
    I'm using a shoe dryer like this one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SHOES-BOOTS-...edirect=mobile
    hmm, now this is interesting, with 4 outlets, 2 for loop, 1 each for counterlungs is interesting

RBW Member ccfish is an unknown quantity at this point ccfish's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by wwjk  View Original Post
    wow - this shoe dryer idea is good stuff - I`m using an old aquarium air pump for my ccr-breathing hose since years -
    will try this shoe dryer thing for the counter lungs asap - thanks for sharing - cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast