+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How I dry my lungs out

RBW Member monkfe is an unknown quantity at this point monkfe's Avatar

How I dry my lungs out

How I dry my lungs out....I've been meaning to share this for a while now and finally have the time to post some pics of my lung dryer. I purchased this all on ebay. My initial fabrication of this used a much smaller fan that wasn't very powerful and really didn't do the job, this one literally "puffs" the lung up and provides great air flow. You should still try and remove as much water as possible before using as even after several hours you can still have water in it if you don't. I used a 1.5 in DWV coupling, not sure what you guys in Europe use for plumbing, but I'm sure you can find a similar item or ebay. Next and most importantly obtain a Narked@90 inspo large and small drying bungs. Carefully after marking out your fan screw holes, dremel out four long relief slots to slide the fan into the coupling. Use a hot glue gun to melt hot glue to hold in place as pictured. On the other end, take off a small amount of material to allow a tight fit with the drying bung, I removed the screen for more airflow. Purchased a power supply( i used a 3A). Also order a connector that you can solder to the fan and thus you can disconnect it from the power supply when you need to. The fan model # is MMB Turbo Fan 1611FT-D4W-B86 12V 1.2A 4 Wire 40MM , about 15.00 usd. I used the smaller bung for the BOV loop which I hang vertically with the fan at the top, and the larger bung at the "T" piece. I use a blank bung to block off the other side of the "T" piece when drying the lungs. I still have to remove the lungs from the kit and lie them flat and remove the supply line to allow air to escape.
    Attached Images

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: How I dry my lungs out

Clever, I like it! Thanks for sharing the information.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Other then a couple long sticks of PVC that is the same as I use on the drysuit as well. Amazing how well a little bit of airflow over a long time will dry stuff out.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

If any one has ever looked at boot driers, they don't produce a lot of air flow either. But it is heated air and carries moisture away.

I really think there is a demand for loop hose and lung driers. Any entrepreneurs our there?

Thanks for sharing!

RBW Member jukkao is on a distinguished road jukkao is on a distinguished road jukkao's Avatar

What kind of problems have happened without drying?
    Jukka

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by jukkao  View Original Post
    Jukka
    The potential to grow some nice moss or mold, or some other delightful things in your counterlungs, which can then be transferred to your actual lungs! When you sanitise the lungs after use (each time they're used of course!), you don't sterilise them and even if you had somehow killed absolutely anything that could live within the water used to flush them out or on the materials themselves, you then leave them open to the air, and all the bugs that contains. If they were dry, it is much less likely to allow anything to grow. If they're wet...

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Jukka

Since you missed this article posted prior:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-37152871

RBW Member jukkao is on a distinguished road jukkao is on a distinguished road jukkao's Avatar

Thanks for sharing the article.
    Has there been any comments from the manufacturers? We are personally using disinfectant after some days and after longer "dry" period. I just woke up as the customers have started to ask for drying systems and I am not sure if they make the situation better or worse. Air in our homes includes quite a lot of different monsters as well. Inner bags are always partly folded I guess. Is it possible to get all the water out? Many divers are advising to store the scrubber in a plastic bag. Must be very confusing for many new CCR divers. I hope we get the info if there would be a real case among rebreather divers. I have not been too happy to let other divers use my unit. I guess there is some risk as well. Next idea would be to fill the unit with some deadly gas or perhaps vodka.
    Jukka

RBW Member michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch's Avatar
    XCCR, SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

My experience after a emergency OP, day in intensive care, a week in the hospital, several weeks in rehab, speech therapy, pneumological care for loss of vital capacity, ENT for the damaged vocal cords, and 3.5 months of not diving due to a bad caustic cocktail is that nothing can survive in a used rebreather. At a measured fluid Ph of 14.0, as in my rebreather, bacteria and fungus cannot survive or multiply, disinfecting is unnecessary.

Flush/wash it out as often as possible, use hydrophobic scrim kits and hope that the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Michael

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Thanks for sharing the article.
    Has there been any comments from the manufacturers? We are personally using disinfectant after some days and after longer "dry" period. I just woke up as the customers have started to ask for drying systems and I am not sure if they make the situation better or worse. Air in our homes includes quite a lot of different monsters as well. Inner bags are always partly folded I guess. Is it possible to get all the water out? Many divers are advising to store the scrubber in a plastic bag. Must be very confusing for many new CCR divers. I hope we get the info if there would be a real case among rebreather divers. I have not been too happy to let other divers use my unit. I guess there is some risk as well. Next idea would be to fill the unit with some deadly gas or perhaps vodka.
    Jukka
    If the counterlungs are properly dry, there's a massive reduction in the chances of any bugs growing inside them even if exposed to the air, as they are usually made from materials that are resistant to bug growth IIRC. But like you said, it depends on them being properly dry and this concern is probably the source of all the questions from your customers - just leaving them to air-dry isn't that efficient and people want greater assurance and speed. Personally, I clean and disinfect them when I know they won't be used again for a while and disinfect them again before use. I am lucky enough to be able to bring the unit inside and dry it there, which speeds things up somewhat. If I'm using them day after day, I'll flush the loop through daily but only disinfect it every few days, but then I also leave the unit assembled and closed, so hopefully the only thing inside is from me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast