+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hawaii in February

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hawaii in February

Hello, it looks like I will be in Hawaii in February, though the dates are flexible. I would like to have a chance at seeing some whales. Are there any CCR friendly operators that go to sites where there is a chance to see whales? I welcome any other dive site suggestions or any other CCR divers that might want to join me. Thanks!

RBW Member mikecjones is an unknown quantity at this point mikecjones's Avatar
    Se7en, Inspo

Re: Hawaii in February

It would be hard to go to Hawaii that time of year and not see whales. You probably will not be close enough to see them in the water, but you are highly likely to see them from any boat.

If you go to Oahu, I recommend Honolulu Scuba Company. To be completely up front, I am the CCR instructor trainer for Honolulu Scuba Company. We are fully set up to support CCR diving. Honolulu Scuba Company is owned by Matt Zimmerman, who also owns Island Divers Hawaii. Together we have 6 boats, so you will have a wide variety of sites to choose from. We have 2 full time service technicians with a significant amount of experience servicing and repairing a wide variety of rebreathers, a blending station to custom mix any gas, and a vibrant community of CCR divers. There are several shops on the island that support CCRs, but Honolulu Scuba Company has more of everything. We are the choice of professionals looking for support or training on Oahu. From a visitor looking for a great dive on a shallow reef filled with turtles, to a TEC diver looking for dive buddies to explore shark-filled walls at 300', to students or instructors looking for training to take them to the next level, we do it all.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by mikecjones  View Original Post
    It would be hard to go to Hawaii that time of year and not see whales. You probably will not be close enough to see them in the water, but you are highly likely to see them from any boat.

If you go to Oahu, I recommend Honolulu Scuba Company. To be completely up front, I am the CCR instructor trainer for Honolulu Scuba Company. We are fully set up to support CCR diving. Honolulu Scuba Company is owned by Matt Zimmerman, who also owns Island Divers Hawaii. Together we have 6 boats, so you will have a wide variety of sites to choose from. We have 2 full time service technicians with a significant amount of experience servicing and repairing a wide variety of rebreathers, a blending station to custom mix any gas, and a vibrant community of CCR divers. There are several shops on the island that support CCRs, but Honolulu Scuba Company has more of everything. We are the choice of professionals looking for support or training on Oahu. From a visitor looking for a great dive on a shallow reef filled with turtles, to a TEC diver looking for dive buddies to explore shark-filled walls at 300', to students or instructors looking for training to take them to the next level, we do it all.

Hi Mike, thanks for the info. I had a look at your site, I understand that I would have to dive recreational profiles/times, but do you allow CCR divers to dive solo? If thereís another CCR diver who wants to join me, Iíll be glad to dive with them, but I would like to know if you will let me say, swim in the opposite direction from the OC divers by myself, or at least be the first in and last out. Of course I will always shoot an SMB from the safety stop.

Se7en, Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi Mike, thanks for the info. I had a look at your site, I understand that I would have to dive recreational profiles/times, but do you allow CCR divers to dive solo? If thereís another CCR diver who wants to join me, Iíll be glad to dive with them, but I would like to know if you will let me say, swim in the opposite direction from the OC divers by myself, or at least be the first in and last out. Of course I will always shoot an SMB from the safety stop.

You would not necessarily have to dive recreational profiles or times. We have a group of CCR divers who do a variety of dives. We piggy back on the recreational charters some times, but with 6 boats we often have dedicated technical diving charters. If you are looking for more technical dives, we can put you in touch with some of the divers who routinely do these. We have 3 instructors, and several divers, who routinely do dives on hypoxic dil as deep as 100 meters. We do exploration dives using DPVs that last hours. I will be off the island in February, but I will put you in touch with folks who will be there then and can let you know what is happening while you are there. I am sure we can find some dives that will be as challenging as you want.

We can tailor our plans to match your skill level and dive objectives.

Se7en, Inspo

Here is an example of a visitor who had specific TEC CCR objectives and how we were able to work with him to meet those objectives.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showt...ghlight=nicool

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by mikecjones  View Original Post
    You would not necessarily have to dive recreational profiles or times. We have a group of CCR divers who do a variety of dives. We piggy back on the recreational charters some times, but with 6 boats we often have dedicated technical diving charters. If you are looking for more technical dives, we can put you in touch with some of the divers who routinely do these. We have 3 instructors, and several divers, who routinely do dives on hypoxic dil as deep as 100 meters. We do exploration dives using DPVs that last hours. I will be off the island in February, but I will put you in touch with folks who will be there then and can let you know what is happening while you are there. I am sure we can find some dives that will be as challenging as you want.

We can tailor our plans to match your skill level and dive objectives.
    Thanks for all the specific info Mike, good to know you are so flexible. Iím mostly in it for the wildlife, so where are the fish populations most dense? Do you have operations on any of the other islands?

+ Reply to Thread