+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greetings! And your advice on a CCR (APD Inspo) / OC computer please. :-)

RBW Member S L is an unknown quantity at this point S L's Avatar

Greetings! And your advice on a CCR (APD Inspo) / OC computer please. :-)

Good day all,

I'm a newbie in both tech and CCR diving. I travel between Taiwan and South Africa but I do most of my diving in SE Asia, especially the Philippines. I'm looking at buying a new tech computer which could be compatible / connected to an APD Inspiration (XPD) as a backup to the original handset, or work as a standalone if I do OC. I've read good things about Shearwater's Petrel 2, NERD 2, and Heinrichs Weikamp's OSTC's, however I'm not sure which is the best fit especially given the different connectors each supports. I'd therefore really appreciate it if you could kindly share your experience / insight with me.

Many thanks & happy diving~

S L

RBW Member DeathBoxDiving is an unknown quantity at this point DeathBoxDiving's Avatar
    FrankenTitan

Re: Greetings! And your advice on a CCR (APD Inspo) / OC computer please. :-)

Welcome to RBW! I am not familiar with APD units not ever having used one. That said, the SW Petrel 2 Fischer is very easily adapted for use as a backup to any RB unit having a 7-pin male Fischer 103 auxiliary wire that can put out O2 sensor signals to the handset. This assumes that the SW pin out was followed.

Safe diving!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBoxDiving  View Original Post
    Welcome to RBW! I am not familiar with APD units not ever having used one. That said, the SW Petrel 2 Fischer is very easily adapted for use as a backup to any RB unit having a 7-pin male Fischer 103 auxiliary wire that can put out O2 sensor signals to the handset. This assumes that the SW pin out was followed.

Safe diving!

Thanks very much DeathBoxDiving!

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Welcome to RBW.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Welcome to RBW.

Best regards,
    Thanks very much Chett.

RBW Member TJW is an unknown quantity at this point TJW's Avatar

With a bit of research into the redundancy systems that Inspo's have in place, you'll realise that having a second handset is really not that necessary.

I just use a Suunto Eon Core as my back up/OC computer.

RBW Member ColinT is an unknown quantity at this point ColinT's Avatar
    Evolution+

I use a shearwater. It uses the same algorithm as the AP computer, unlike a Suunto. Several people use OSTC computers which appear to do the job equally well. Most don't couple the computer to the rebreather cells. The AP PPO2 control appears sufficiently good that the computer tracks decompression as accurately as needed to get you out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by TJW  View Original Post
    With a bit of research into the redundancy systems that Inspo's have in place, you'll realise that having a second handset is really not that necessary.

I just use a Suunto Eon Core as my back up/OC computer.
    Thanks very much TJW!

Maybe I'm being paranoid - but I'd really like to still be able to read out the sensors "just in case (maybe less chance than a lightning strike?)" the primary handset decides to give me issues. Plus I currently need a new tech computer for my OC anyway. I thought I might as well get one that is CCR (Inspo) integrable / compatible for a little bit extra.

Thanks again & happy diving~
    Last edited by S L; 8th November 2018 at 00:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinT  View Original Post
    I use a shearwater. It uses the same algorithm as the AP computer, unlike a Suunto. Several people use OSTC computers which appear to do the job equally well. Most don't couple the computer to the rebreather cells. The AP PPO2 control appears sufficiently good that the computer tracks decompression as accurately as needed to get you out of trouble.
    Thanks very much ColinT!

Maybe this is me being paranoid - but having a backup computer tracking my status (depths, deco, etc) while also monitoring the CCR cells gives me peace of mind. I might consider not coupling the computer to the CCR cells if it proves to be too difficult. But thanks very much for sharing your experience with me.

Happy diving~
    Last edited by S L; 8th November 2018 at 00:48.

RBW Member mshamba is an unknown quantity at this point mshamba's Avatar
    AP evo +

I had a depth sensor failure on my EVO and a back up computer would have been handy. After that I installed a Pretel 2, I also got a 4th cell holder. The Pretel is quite handy and can be used as well for your regular OC dives. I had to remove my 4th cell though because there is not enough space in the mixing chamber for 4 cells plus the CO2 monitor.
    Happy diving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast