+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be safe out there. Use your checklists!

RBW Member moradai is an unknown quantity at this point moradai's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Unhappy Be safe out there. Use your checklists!

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Re: Be safe out there. Use your checklists!

sad story ,

but you could not blame that on not using a checklist .
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 11th October 2018 at 00:53.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    sad story ,

Not to split hairs on this as the author of the news article is an complete idiot with his drama prose writing; but if reported correctly, it seems he did not turn his O2 tank on. If that is the case, a checklist should have/would have corrected this... at least all the checklists I use, including OC.

Bugge, 35, had not turned on the oxygen supply to his Liberty rebreather, according to an equipment inspection by maker Divesoft.

And this quote, really? I know plenty of people who use them at recreational limits, albeit for insane extended BT.

Rebreathers are used for more aggressive dives.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Not to split hairs on this as the author of the news article is an complete idiot with his drama prose writing; but if reported correctly, it seems he did not turn his O2 tank on. If that is the case, a checklist should have/would have corrected this... at least all the checklists I use, including OC.

Bugge, 35, had not turned on the oxygen supply to his Liberty rebreather, according to an equipment inspection by maker Divesoft.

And this quote, really? I know plenty of people who use them at recreational limits, albeit for insane extended BT.

Rebreathers are used for more aggressive dives.

yes i read the article to,

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    sad story ,

I agree with you this is tragic, but I respectfully disagree that a checklist might not have helped to prevent it. I believe a simple pre splash checklist might have definitely helped to prevent rolling into the water w/o O2 on.

I've attached a scan of mine. I wrote it myself. It is short. It is printed on the back of an ordinary 3 x 5 index card and laminated to keep it waterproof. It is stowed in its very own small pocket on my rig's harness. It only leaves its pocket for a brief time, just before entering the water every time I dive. Before I wrote and started using it, I had at one time or another been lucky enough to survive messing up pretty much everything on it.

Ken
    Attached Images

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I do not want to sound like I am against checklists or that it might have prevented this accident, but were we not ALL taught how to deal with this simple issue? What about monitoring your PO2 and following procedures when an error occurs?

Having O2 off being the cause of death or even a near miss makes me think the diver in question is not ready to use the machine in the first place. I had roll offs on 2 separate occasions training on my Optima until I trashed the original backplate and made my own. And yes, I have jumped in for a second or third dive without turning the tank back on. It is just not something that should be such a big deal.

I am sure to get flamed over this but I can not believe that I am the only one to have these thoughts.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member njdiverjoe is an unknown quantity at this point njdiverjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I do not want to sound like I am against checklists or that it might have prevented this accident, but were we not ALL taught how to deal with this simple issue? What about monitoring your PO2 and following procedures when an error occurs?

Having O2 off being the cause of death or even a near miss makes me think the diver in question is not ready to use the machine in the first place. I had roll offs on 2 separate occasions training on my Optima until I trashed the original backplate and made my own. And yes, I have jumped in for a second or third dive without turning the tank back on. It is just not something that should be such a big deal.

I am sure to get flamed over this but I can not believe that I am the only one to have these thoughts.
    I'll admit I found myself thinking about all the opportunities to notice something like this ...
    - pre-jump checklist
    - prebreathe
    - check pO2 before hitting the water
    - check pO2 at surface before descent
    - monitor pO2 every 1-4 minutes

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Add check Dil ADV, check wing, check O2 mav, verify pressures during each, and you've completed the above list

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

And there is no warning on the Liberty (either active with a beep/vibration or visual) when the po2 falls under a low value ?

Stéphane Acounis

RBW Member juank1965 is an unknown quantity at this point juank1965's Avatar
    Liberty

Classic kiss

Yes ! There are warnings when you don't open oxygen valve.....both handset vibrates and Hud blinks its three red lights, immediately the PO2 drops ..... that the reason I m still alive.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast