+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Metric -vs- Imperial

New Member Grizz is an unknown quantity at this point Grizz's Avatar

Metric -vs- Imperial

Is their any advantage to using metric of imperial or the other way around for a new ccr diver?
    I'm use to imperial but that is on OC so witch will be faster to read and do any
    math if any in my head ?
    I know its probably a stupid Question.

Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Megladon

Re: Metric -vs- Imperial

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz
    Is their any advantage to using metric of imperial or the other way around for a new ccr diver?
    I'm use to imperial but that is on OC so witch will be faster to read and do any
    math if any in my head ?
    I know its probably a stupid Question.
    My fiance and I (both relatively new Meg divers) have been debating the idea. He thinks going to metric will make things much easier- I, however, am resistant, as I never bothered to learn the metric system..... I think in theory it might be easier- but the hassle of learning all those new untis of measure seems not worth it to me. Besides- 50' means something to me, as does 1500 psi.... I have no reference for "meter" or "bar".

CK #159 caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Meg

Growing up in the States and now living in France. I am fairly mixed up with my unit and what I like to use. Here is my take.

Figuring meters of depth to ATA is really easy. Doing Dalton's law math in your head is a little easier with Metric. Figuring out the amount of gas in your cylinder when you have bars and liter marked cylinders is easy. Gas mixing is pretty much the same. Looking at the SPG is about the same in either

Since deco is generally planned around 10 foot steps. Remembers the stop depths in meters is kinda tricky. Like Heather said, it is kinda hard to get your head around how deep you are in meters if you know imperial. Most of the time I have to think about it and convert back into feet. It is getting better the more I use meters. I have been toying with the idea of switching to 5 meter steps for deco.

Personally I like using metric for diving over imperial. It does make a lot of thing a little easier. I also live in a metric world now. I really doubt I would change if I still lived in the States.

Cheers!!

Kevin

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caverkevin
    Since deco is generally planned around 10 foot steps. Remembers the stop depths in meters is kinda tricky. Like Heather said, it is kinda hard to get your head around how deep you are in meters if you know imperial. Most of the time I have to think about it and convert back into feet. It is getting better the more I use meters. I have been toying with the idea of switching to 5 meter steps for deco.
    hey 3m steps is easy just go up 3 on your gauge (set to metres) :D
    if your gauges are all metric its got to be easier

but I'm biased I've only ever dived metric

New Member Grizz is an unknown quantity at this point Grizz's Avatar

Thanks for the input.
    i think ill try some dry (wet ) metric runs on OC this week.
    i have tell the 27th of july be for my Mod1 class starts.
    and hmmmmmm im going to need a pee valve for sure now.

I finished it once, but.. PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

I grew up with both imperial and metric. I've dived in both. Metric is easier.

When you need to work out partial pressures for flushes, absolute pressure is 1 bar per 10m + 1 Bar. Easy.

Gas quantities at depth? Cylinder volume x bar / absolute pressure.

All easy numbers to work with.

On the otherhand, why not convert your RB's to Imperial? Working out the PSI partial pressures of O2 on a dill flush using 18/35 at 275 feet should be a doddle......... 24.54psi......

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

For me it was the opposite, moved from metric to imperial.
    Major pita, absolutely no system in it. :

Got accustomed to psi on the contents gauge, but distances suck.
    Same for weights and volumes.
    Am suprised they have 24 hours in day, not 39.42. :p

For gas and CCR related calculation metric is way easier,
    did it in my head while everyone else went nuts on their calculators.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS
    I grew up with both imperial and metric. I've dived in both. Metric is easier.
    Ditto.

RBW Member Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan's Avatar

Not used Imperial for diving things - I use imperial and metric interchangably in life, distances in miles, some measurements in feet and inches, some in metres, I inflate my bike tyres to 50psi.

ALL the diving stuff I do though is in metric, I can do PPO2 calculations in my head really easily - and when diving a CCR, this is a useful skill IMHO.

Every 10m = +1 bar
    Every 33feet = +14.7psi

I know which numbers look more appealing to work with!!!

I do agree though that 10 foot stop depths are perhaps more logical - but then again, why was 10 feet chosen in the first place and then converted to 3m - why don't we metric-ites use 5m stop transitions that would also me easy.... another discussion.

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Imperial is only used by Americans.

Stay with the rest of the World and use metric.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast