+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: old oxygen cell recycling

RBW Member philebo is on a distinguished road philebo is on a distinguished road philebo's Avatar
    JJ

old oxygen cell recycling

Is there a use for old oxygen cells?
    Do we simply have to throw them away?
    If yes what is the best way to throw away old oxygen cells without polluting environment?

thanks

Lorenzo

Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    O2 Apocalypse

DIY, Inspiration Classic

Re: old oxygen cell recycling

Recycle as they would be old batteries.

RBW Member philebo is on a distinguished road philebo is on a distinguished road philebo's Avatar
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by plazma  View Original Post
    Recycle as they would be old batteries.
    thanks for the info, so no second life? alternative use for scientific instruments or anything like this?
    thanks

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philebo  View Original Post
    thanks for the info, so no second life? alternative use for scientific instruments or anything like this?
    thanks
    I know of a few people that use them in their oxygen analyzers, figuring as long as they can still read 100%...

YMMV.

Jim

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by philebo  View Original Post
    thanks
    analyzers is about the only thing you can do with them. Once the galvanic compound is depleted there really isn't anything you can do with them

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

[QUOTE]I know of a few people that use them in their oxygen analyzers, figuring as long as they can still read 100%...

Duh (sound of hand slapping forehead) why did that never occur to me? I really hated buying new cells for my analyzer (which I use very infrequently). I bet you could get half a useful year out of a "not safe for depth" cell.

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004  View Original Post
    analyzers is about the only thing you can do with them
    You can do plenty of other things with them. Make Christmas ornaments, use them as misshapen golf balls, throw them at people you don't like...the possibilities are endless.

The only USEFUL thing is to put in an analyzer. Analox rates their sensor for 4-5 years in air (as an example), so your 6 month old sensor will be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

[QUOTE=tcascione;492839]
    I know of a few people that use them in their oxygen analyzers, figuring as long as they can still read 100%...

Duh (sound of hand slapping forehead) why did that never occur to me? I really hated buying new cells for my analyzer (which I use very infrequently). I bet you could get half a useful year out of a "not safe for depth" cell.
    they last quite a bit longer than 6 months when they come out of the breather

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

Which oxygen analysers can take a Vandagraph type cell with a molex connector?

RBW Member Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060's Avatar
    Pathfinder

Cool Re: old oxygen cell recycling

I was thinking of using one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Millivol...-/170751371122

and then wiring in a molex connector. Just use a calculator to determine the %O2 based on the reading when calibrating and the response gain slope. Instant O2 meter for $11 (if it actually arrives from China)..

Here is one that is presumably in the US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-DC...rd!24060!US!-1

I haven't tried that particular meter so let me know how it turns out if you build one...
    Last edited by Kristen24060; 16th September 2018 at 02:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast