+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

It's not a baby booster, but it's 30:1 instead of 25:1, but it will still only go as fast as the supply gas feeding it so if you have both feeding a 3cfm compressor, the CFM output will be comparable. The difference is when you have big compressors since you get more output per cycle and you are only supposed to cycle up to 60cycles/min.

That compressor is continuous duty rated btw, same ones used in O2 concentrators and are rated for tens of thousands of hours of 24/7 continuous duty. It will run on a standard household outlet so anywhere you have 110v power. If you're camping you obviously need a generator, but I'd rather have a propane or gasoline generator running electric scuba compressors and an electric lp compressor than gas powered scuba compressor.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

The Ag30 uses way more drive gas than a baby sized booster. And you might want to check on the amp starting requirements for a 5hp single phase motor - its about 24amps 240V. I have a big enough generator to start mine (7500W, I use it for power outages). I would never try to bring it camping, its awkward to try to pack, high volume, its loud, its heavy, burns lots of fuel, and the 200+lb weight is crazy - like break springs in my truck crazy.

I use a 3.5 cfm compressor powered by a 6.5hp gas engine, a HI3 baby booster, and a 120V 1000w generator (27lbs and packs into a Rubbermaid tub).

With tanks and camping gear my Toyota Tundra is jam packed with ~1,800 or 2,000 lbs. I have air springs in the rear, but on my last trip I warped my brake rotors - they were $400 to turn once I returned. IMO you need to think about weight more seriously if you are diving in the bush.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Meg

Homebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    The Ag30 uses way more drive gas than a baby sized booster. And you might want to check on the amp starting requirements for a 5hp single phase motor - its about 24amps 240V. I have a big enough generator to start mine (7500W, I use it for power outages). I would never try to bring it camping, its awkward to try to pack, high volume, its loud, its heavy, burns lots of fuel, and the 200+lb weight is crazy - like break springs in my truck crazy.

I use a 3.5 cfm compressor powered by a 6.5hp gas engine, a HI3 baby booster, and a 120V 1000w generator (27lbs and packs into a Rubbermaid tub).

With tanks and camping gear my Toyota Tundra is jam packed with ~1,800 or 2,000 lbs. I have air springs in the rear, but on my last trip I warped my brake rotors - they were $400 to turn once I returned. IMO you need to think about weight more seriously if you are diving in the bush.
    the compressor I have sucks about 8a on a home outlet, so it is good for just about anywhere that has a 110v outlet *unless on the same circuit as something like an air conditioner, hair dryer, microwave, etc, but it's not that insane of power consumption.
    Where did you get 24a at 240v for a 5hp motor? That's way wrong. 1hp=746w. 5hp at 90% efficiency is 4200w ish, so round up to 4500 which is 19a on a 240v circuit, practically speaking it will probably pull around 15a. *I quite literally have to do this on an almost daily basis for work*. Yes there is startup loads, but most circuits *including generators* are designed to take a ~40% spike for 5-10 seconds during startup without blowing the breaker, specifically for this purpose.

Your 3.5cfm compressor should only need a 5hp gas engine, but if it was electric engine it would only need 2.5-3hp since they have full torque at startup. Even if you had a 6.5hp electric motor on there it wouldn't suck all of that power since the pump wouldn't need it. The general rule is 1hp/cfm and overpowering it doesn't really do anything except make it weigh more. Assuming it is continuous duty rated there's no real benefit to oversizing. Runs a bit cooler, but for what we're doing it won't make any difference. We typically oversize the VFD by 1 unit at the plant but we are actually running them continuous duty in a truly nasty environment since it's a production area and the drives appreciate being oversized. The motors are usually sized for what we need.

The AG30 uses almost identical amounts of drive gas to the baby boosters. Think about it. Compression ratio is 25:1 on the baby vs. 30:1 on the AG but that's pretty close, the main difference is the size of the chambers.

The drive gas consumption is a function of boost ratios. Let's assume both are 25:1 and the true only difference is the size of the chambers with the AG being significantly larger.
    So, assuming both boosters are fed with the same drive gas pressure and flow, fed with same inlet pressure, and both filling an empty tank of identical volume, they will have an outlet flow rate and pressure that is the same. The difference is the baby booster will be cycling 2.5x as fast as the AG since the chamber on the AG is 2.5x as large.
    Average outlet flow in CFM will still be the same, and average air consumption will still be the same, but the cycle speed will be the only difference. In real world the consumption would be a bit about 20% different due to the compression ratios.
    That make sense?

If you're bush diving and need to tote that all around with you, then obviously driving the booster from a gas powered scuba compressor makes sense since it alleviates ~50lbs for the wob-l compressor and ~250lbs for a 5000w generator, but if you're doing that on the regular and can get it in a trailer, a 5000-7500w generator that can run the scuba compressor and a 3-5cfm diaphragm oil-less compressor to drive the booster is a better option

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2