+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

  1. #1

    Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Any one have a good hardware solution to mount my dry suit inflation cylinder, 6 or 13 cuft, to my 3l faber dil cylinder?

    I知 diving a prism and looking at options for this, currently I知 mounting it on my plate, but would like to try something new.

  2. #2
    RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    155
    Meg

    Homebuilt

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    thought about making your "dil" bottle a suit and wing inflation bottle and go to sidemounted offboard dil/bailout if you're doing that much trimix diving.

  3. #3
    RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    505
    Meg + sidewinder

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by A878bob  View Original Post
    Any one have a good hardware solution to mount my dry suit inflation cylinder, 6 or 13 cuft, to my 3l faber dil cylinder?

    I知 diving a prism and looking at options for this, currently I知 mounting it on my plate, but would like to try something new.
    On what unit?

    The 13/14cf halcyon straps work on any tube shaped CCR (JJ, Meg, HH etc) with the suit bottle riding behind the dil cylinder.
    https://www.dirdirect.com/Halcyon-Mo...Inflation.html


    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004  View Original Post
    thought about making your "dil" bottle a suit and wing inflation bottle and go to sidemounted offboard dil/bailout if you're doing that much trimix diving.
    Its a much bigger pita to top off a larger offboard than it is to refill a 3L from scratch. At least when you're remote from a good fill station & booster.

  4. #4
    RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    155
    Meg

    Homebuilt

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post

    Its a much bigger pita to top off a larger offboard than it is to refill a 3L from scratch. At least when you're remote from a good fill station & booster.
    Not sure I'm following. If you have any fill station it's fine since it's your bailout gas, no need for a "good" one. If you're diving without a fill station and a booster then it really doesn't matter since gas is gas and once you're out, you're out...

  5. #5
    Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland
    Posts
    565
    O2 Apocalypse

    DIY, Inspiration Classic

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    How do you mount it to the backplate?
    This is how I had suit inflation on my Inspirations:

  6. #6
    RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    505
    Meg + sidewinder

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004  View Original Post
    Not sure I'm following. If you have any fill station it's fine since it's your bailout gas, no need for a "good" one. If you're diving without a fill station and a booster then it really doesn't matter since gas is gas and once you're out, you're out...
    Is a 3.5cfm gas powered compressor and a baby booster a fill station? Its sucks to try and top off a cave filled lp85 with 18/45 using that.

    Whereas its easy to transfill 1500psi of helium into an empty 3L and top it off with air and in 15mins you have 10/50 ready for the next day's diving.

  7. #7
    RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    367
    XCCR, SF2, IDA76, Flex

    AH1

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Is a 3.5cfm gas powered compressor and a baby booster a fill station? Its sucks to try and top off a cave filled lp85 with 18/45 using that.

    Whereas its easy to transfill 1500psi of helium into an empty 3L and top it off with air and in 15mins you have 10/50 ready for the next day's diving.

    Why is that so difficult? Since 2000 I've been using various Bauer compressors to transfer Helium and Argon into tanks and storage tanks at pressures up to 330Bar.
    It works, and as long as you start with a cold compressor and limit the time to 20-30 minutes, even pumping Argon doesn't cause any problems. I've pumped Helium through a Bauer Junior II for 6-8 hours at a streach, many times and the compressor doesn't even get hot.


    I add O2 first (since I can't boost it), then add He (which I can boost) and finally top off with air.
    The best part is being able to return He tanks with less than 1 Bar of residual He in them.
    Try doing that with a booster.


    Michael

  8. #8
    RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    155
    Meg

    Homebuilt

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Is a 3.5cfm gas powered compressor and a baby booster a fill station? Its sucks to try and top off a cave filled lp85 with 18/45 using that.

    Whereas its easy to transfill 1500psi of helium into an empty 3L and top it off with air and in 15mins you have 10/50 ready for the next day's diving.
    I'll give you that, though the frequency with which you have to fill goes way down so it may ultimately balance out for you in terms of whether it's worth it or not since you wouldn't have to blend each day. Waiting on the last of my setup to get in, but here is what my setup will ultimately be.

    Pelican case fitted with a ~3cfm wob-l compressor that drives a Haskel AG-30 so it won't pump any faster than the baby booster and scuba compressor. Will pre-blend LP121's with dilout at home before the trip which will have enough gas for the trip. Will have a LP72 or two with O2 for the same. That compressor is the same as the quiettech compressors from Lowes you can get for $200 and is fed through a LP filter system that will spit out grade e air which is quieter than a scuba compressor, can plug into a wall, is just as clean, and a helluva lot cheaper. Boosting will be super slow off of the baby compressor obviously, but not that painful.
    Last edited by tbone1004; 13th September 2018 at 17:59.

  9. #9
    RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    505
    Meg + sidewinder

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    Why is that so difficult? Since 2000 I've been using various Bauer compressors to transfer Helium and Argon into tanks and storage tanks at pressures up to 330Bar.
    It works, and as long as you start with a cold compressor and limit the time to 20-30 minutes, even pumping Argon doesn't cause any problems. I've pumped Helium through a Bauer Junior II for 6-8 hours at a streach, many times and the compressor doesn't even get hot.


    I add O2 first (since I can't boost it), then add He (which I can boost) and finally top off with air.
    The best part is being able to return He tanks with less than 1 Bar of residual He in them.
    Try doing that with a booster.


    Michael
    Because:
    1) a baby booster wont get much over 3000psi
    2) you end up wasting helium. Just filling the compressor filter can be as many Liters of helium as you are trying to top off the cylinder in the first place.

    If you can connect a few of those offboard dil/BOs together it helps, but it's even easier to connect 2 or 3 or even 4x 3L bottles together, transfill, then top off. The baby booster then only has to do O2 which it can work on while the other bottles get filled by a portable compressor. No futzing with mixing sticks or trash bag boosters at a campsite in the middle of nowhere.

    Its just way easier to mix quickly and simply by transfilling into a near empty or empty 3L than it is to top off into a partially full cylinder.


    I love cave diving with offboard dil/BO and using the onboard 2 or 3L "dil" cylinder as suit gas. Its lovely and as slick as I'm going to get with my backmounted CCR. But its not the easiest way to dive remotely or refill. Where I don't need to be as slick I use a 13cf backmounted suit bottle so I never touch the deep BO and then can more easily refill the onboard dil.

  10. #10
    RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    505
    Meg + sidewinder

    Re: Hardware for 6cuft argon to 3l dil ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004  View Original Post
    I'll give you that, though the frequency with which you have to fill goes way down so it may ultimately balance out for you in terms of whether it's worth it or not since you wouldn't have to blend each day. Waiting on the last of my setup to get in, but here is what my setup will ultimately be.

    Pelican case fitted with a ~3cfm wob-l compressor that drives a Haskel AG-30 so it won't pump any faster than the baby booster and scuba compressor. Will pre-blend LP121's with dilout at home before the trip which will have enough gas for the trip. Will have a LP72 or two with O2 for the same. That compressor is the same as the quiettech compressors from Lowes you can get for $200 and is fed through a LP filter system that will spit out grade e air which is quieter than a scuba compressor, can plug into a wall, is just as clean, and a helluva lot cheaper. Boosting will be super slow off of the baby compressor obviously, but not that painful.
    An AG30 is not a baby booster lol

    The old 1:20 HI3, the Haskel mini, and the kiss baby booster are "babies".

    That shop compressor requires a 15 or 20amp 120V wall outlet (rental house? motel?). Its not going to work at a campsite unless you bring a 3500W generator to run it (more really heavy crap in the truck). You are going to burn it up quick running an AG-30 too. I think most of us doing the remote diving use a 1000 to 2200W generator like the Honda's which weigh about 30-45lbs. That'll recharge a bunch of lights and scooters - but not run a compressor with a heavy starting load.

    And you won't be running an AG-30 off a tank of scuba air for long. The baby boosters will actually run adequately off a tank of scuba air, they just don't pump very fast or very high. So I end up:
    1) running the compressor for suit gas while the booster does o2 fills, and transfilling He all at the same time.
    2) then top the transfilled dils with air.

    Everything can be happening at rough the same time so you aren't up all night refilling stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts