+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Rebreather Seatbelt & Your Personal Safety Culture

Wetfun is on a distinguished road Wetfun is on a distinguished road Wetfun's Avatar
    Prism2

Phibian, AT UBA

The Rebreather Seatbelt & Your Personal Safety Culture

We all have a personal safety culture, things we do and things we will not do. When you get in a car, you fasten the seat belt, not because you expect to drive into a wall, but because some texting nut may run a stop sign and T-bone your car.

The setting is similar: Your prepped and checked rebreather is on your back, you are ready to jump into another great dive, your pause of 30 seconds and:

1. Is your loop PPO2 safe to breathe?
    2. Begin breathing
    3. Check ADV/BOV, Oxy & Dil add, BC, activate each valve
    4. Check SPG: Oxy, Dil, OC Bailout, are the pressures as expected?
    5. Observe PPO2 setpoint maintenance
    6. GO!

This is a quality assurance check that should be taught to every rebreather student in every class and required to be performed prior to entering the pool or open water. Everytime.

As instructors leading through example, as certified divers wishing to be sure of a long life, this short check list, first published in 2012, is your Rebreather Seatbelt and needs to be used, every time you get into the water, even a shallow swimming pool.

RESA recently published minimum standards for diver training. Guess what they left out? The Rebreather Seatbelt. Not a requirement.

No training agency explicitly teaches this simple, quick pre-jump check (published in 2012). Only one manufacturer includes this with the unit when sold.

Why can’t our community agree on the importance of diving with a working unit and implement requiring a simple, quick prejump quality assurance check to that end?

Why do we see diver fatalities caused by anoxia and mumble reasons why it happened, rather than focus on a simple, quick preventive action every diver can learn and do?
    Dive Silent, Dive Deep

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: The Rebreather Seatbelt & Your Personal Safety Culture

Hi CC,

Great Post!

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Simple, effective and straightforward advice!

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Only one manufacturer includes this with the unit when sold.
    Which one ?

Stéphane Acounis

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

I know the revo has a clipped on check list that comes with the rebreather. It has a few more steps.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Bozanic's book as this spelled out clearly in the appendix; isn't that required reading for rebreather training any more (except for PADI of corpse)? Each unit he highlights also includes what is known as an "Immediate Pre-Dive Check" Surprising that EVERY manufacture doesn't have this. The three units I dive all have this in the manual and I was taught to either laminate the IPDC or write in on a slate and dive with it (as well as a table of figures for a depth dil check and back up PO2 tables). Guess that is the way the training went back when the Carcharocles megalodon was still swimming in our ocean, gawd I feel old.

RBW Member doctormike is an unknown quantity at this point doctormike's Avatar
    JJ

This discussion has happened a lot in all of the forums since the recent tragedy in Hawaii (student in Trimix class took a camera in the water with him solo while waiting for others, O2 was off, CCR in surface mode).

I think that it's important not to confuse the pre-flight checklist with the larger build checklist. I think that the pre-flight checklist should be done AFTER you are in your unit, just before you jump, since things often get disconnected during donning and doffing.

Here's the sticker that I made for my controller:

checklist_sticker.jpg

RBW Member chef_au is an unknown quantity at this point chef_au's Avatar
    Kiss Classic Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by doctormike  View Original Post
    This discussion has happened a lot in all of the forums since the recent tragedy in Hawaii (student in Trimix class took a camera in the water with him solo while waiting for others, O2 was off, CCR in surface mode).

I think that it's important not to confuse the pre-flight checklist with the larger build checklist. I think that the pre-flight checklist should be done AFTER you are in your unit, just before you jump, since things often get disconnected during donning and doffing.

Here's the sticker that I made for my controller:

Attachment 45006
    That's a great idea, nice and simple!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RBW Member doctormike is an unknown quantity at this point doctormike's Avatar
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by chef_au  View Original Post
    That's a great idea, nice and simple!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks! If anyone wants the Word label sheet doc and the Photoshop file (in case you want to customize it), just PM me your email address. I print them on Avery 15513 Weatherproof Shipping labels and cut them to fit the controller.

Supporting Member btrax is an unknown quantity at this point btrax's Avatar
    Hollis Explorer

Thats the best i have seen yet!! Right there where you need it.!!

+ Reply to Thread