+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leak on hammerhead

leak on hammerhead

hi

i have an hammerhead ccr with extreme head.

On top of the head where there are the aluminium cap they seem to have a leak.

also if i press the head down... I heard sound...

when I inflate complety my back lung, I hear air... In water I see a bubble....

Somebody know what is under the alumnium cap?

do you think both big o-ring inside?

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: leak on hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by marc.collin  View Original Post
    hi

i have an hammerhead ccr with extreme head.

On top of the head where there are the aluminium cap they seem to have a leak.

also if i press the head down... I heard sound...

when I inflate complety my back lung, I hear air... In water I see a bubble....

Somebody know what is under the alumnium cap?

do you think both big o-ring inside?
    Hey Marc,

The leak is probably coming from the o-rings on the edge - there are no seals on the top under the Stainless Steel ring. The delrin ring is retracted via springs located under each screw - so if you decide to take this apart, do so carefully.

Try changing out your o-rings first then inspecting the inside of the top of the Can for any scratches or damage.

Let me know what you find @ kevin@rebreather.us

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hey Marc,

The leak is probably coming from the o-rings on the edge - there are no seals on the top under the Stainless Steel ring. The delrin ring is retracted via springs located under each screw - so if you decide to take this apart, do so carefully.

Try changing out your o-rings first then inspecting the inside of the top of the Can for any scratches or damage.

Let me know what you find @ kevin@rebreather.us

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

changed o-ring get same issue... when i press with my hand more on the spring... no leak

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

If pressing down on the head stops the leak, it still sounds like you have an issue with the main o-ring with some grit or an imperfection on the surface of the can. This is the silicon lube that I use on the larger loop o-rings.

https://www.zoro.com/dow-corning-sea...RoCI2wQAvD_BwE

Good luck!

Mark

RBW Member michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch will become famous soon enough michael-fisch's Avatar
    XCCR, SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    If pressing down on the head stops the leak, it still sounds like you have an issue with the main o-ring with some grit or an imperfection on the surface of the can. This is the silicon lube that I use on the larger loop o-rings.

https://www.zoro.com/dow-corning-sea...RoCI2wQAvD_BwE

Good luck!

Mark

Wipe the innersurface of can, a bit of silicon grease make it much easier to remove the head in the future
    then remove the O-Ring from the head, clean the O-Ring groove in the head with a clean dishtowel followed by kleenex, making sure not to leave tiny bits and pieces of kleenex in the groove
    and finally wipe the O-Ring clean using the same dishtowel before applying enough silicon grease to make it shiny again.
    Reinstall the O-Ring and see if it now seals up perfectly.

If you want to make the removal of the head much easier, removing every other spring under the stainless steel split ring will make it much easier to push down far enough to turn it. If the outside ring on the head no longer springs back up easily, you will have to put one or 2 springs back in.

Don't do this the night before a dive, since you have to plan on a few hours of fiddling around before you get everthing right.

Michael
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 25th August 2018 at 11:54.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Just had a thought, Marc - Any chance the top of the can got dinged or bumped hard?

Frank Spiering and I were going back and forth with a Mark 15 Pod that would work beautifully in my shop down to 350 FSW, but would then leak in his rig in 40 feet of water - this went on maddeningly (for both of us) for a year - and finally figured out what the heck was going on - The pressure being put on the Pod as Frank tightened the strap retainer was deforming it just a teensy-tiny bit, but enough that it would leak. The fix was just not to tighten it down so hard (Frank is a big strong Dutchman, so "tight" is a relative term, lol )

That made me wonder if maybe your Can is out of round somehow - such as from a blow while the top was off. I've never heard of a HH getting out of shape like this (one of the reasons I chose Aluminum was because I was worried about the potential for Delrin to deform under heat - like if someone left it on the front seat of their car in the Florida sun), but stranger things like the Mark 15 Pod above have happened...

In addition to what Mark and Michael have proposed - I would suggest that you try and big slug of Old #4 Silicone on the o-rings to see if that stops it. If it does, then I think your Can may be suspect. If you have a big enough set of calipers, you could check to see if it is out of round.

In any event, let us know what you find out.

All the best,

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

i cleaned everything...

after more investigation, when there are too much air the back lung... the excess don't go out via the dump valve but go out from the head...

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

i cleaned everything...

after more investigation, when there are too much air the back lung... the excess don't go out via the dump valve but go out from the head...
    The only seals on the Head are the outer o-rings, the Solenoid Stem (which is a barrel-seal o-ring), and the o-rings for the Inhale/Exhale ports. The Cables are fitted via a taper thread, as is the DIVA connector.

Again, I wonder if your Can is out of round - did you try to put a caliper on it like I suggested?

Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    The only seals on the Head are the outer o-rings, the Solenoid Stem (which is a barrel-seal o-ring), and the o-rings for the Inhale/Exhale ports. The Cables are fitted via a taper thread, as is the DIVA connector.

Again, I wonder if your Can is out of round - did you try to put a caliper on it like I suggested?

Kevin.

you mean this

800px-Vernier_caliper.svg.png

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

you mean this

Attachment 45004

Yes - only bigger than 6 inches. Run it around the inside of the can and see if the measurements are the same all the way around.

You may be able to do this with a wood stick or something which is cut to the exact diameter of the inside of one part of the can, then rotated around the perimeter to see if it gets loose or binds at different points.

Kevin.