Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trim with rEvo Micro III

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Trim with rEvo Micro III

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post
    Yup, good data point. Thanks.

I agree that a drysuit would help offset the bottom-heavy problem with steel tanks.

Any experience or thoughts with steel 3L bottles in a wetsuit?

I don't "need" any weights in the pouch but will probably but 2-3kg there next time just to help with trim and add some gas to my wing in the rear.

I also agree with the loop volume, especially upon reaching a new deco stop depth.

- brett

Hey Brett,

I don't recommend steel bottles in a wetsuit for TRIM!
    The funny thing with steel bottles: you will need a lot more diluent. If you don't need the weight, don't add it otherwise you'll burn through a lot of diluent for wing inflation which some justify of having steel bottles in the first place.
    Besides, adding heavy tanks will not optimize where you want any trim weight anyway.

About loop volume, I am sending you this link but the site is still under construction. Not sure you can get to it: http://www.trero.org/single-post/201...s-In-Your-Loop

See if the recommendations on this site already solved your problem: Lighter fins, tighten the bungy the top of the BC, and avoid excessive loop volume.

Hopefully those things already solved your problem.

C :)

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Hey Brett,

I don't recommend steel bottles in a wetsuit for TRIM!

C :)
    Yeah, the problem is that you can't always pick your bottles when you get rental cylinders and don't travel with your own CF tanks. :)

I'll take a look at the article on loop volume as well.

Regards,

- brett

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

I get the “you can’t always pick your bottles” aspect of diving travel. The thing is that I hate going into the water knowing that I’m 6-7kg overweighted... especially, shallow stops with the wing 1/4 to 1/3 full. As such, my solution, for when bringing along the C/F bottles proves overly problematic, was to get a “tropical” drysuit (e.g. DUI Coronado II), to offset the negative buoyancy of any rental bottles. People do look at one a bit oddly when the air temps are above 30*C and water temps are nearing that mark, and one is in a drysuit... but, that combination makes me happy.

Safe diving!
    Last edited by ECho; 9th August 2018 at 18:04.

RBW Member airb is an unknown quantity at this point airb's Avatar
    rEvo 3 St

Hi
    I had exactly the same issue (rEvo std model) and after some testing it is now perfect .

1/ I don't think the wing will change so much _ I tried to replace the orignal revo wing by a Tecline CCr donut wing -> No effect.
    2/Adding bungee on the top of the orignal wing do help (a bit)
    3/the biggest WIN is to go for light fins - Forget about the jetfin and go back to the good Mares avanti Q ))
    4/ An other big win for me and also to avoid back pain (which was my other issue): I'm using a "classical" backplate (like for a double tank) which I modified A bit to perfevtly fit the revo (I know Revo don't like it but this is perfect and no changes in the breathing work).
    Rgds

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Quote Originally Posted by airb  View Original Post
    Hi
    I had exactly the same issue (rEvo std model) and after some testing it is now perfect .

1/ I don't think the wing will change so much _ I tried to replace the orignal revo wing by a Tecline CCr donut wing -> No effect.
    2/Adding bungee on the top of the orignal wing do help (a bit)
    3/the biggest WIN is to go for light fins - Forget about the jetfin and go back to the good Mares avanti Q ))
    4/ An other big win for me and also to avoid back pain (which was my other issue): I'm using a "classical" backplate (like for a double tank) which I modified A bit to perfevtly fit the revo (I know Revo don't like it but this is perfect and no changes in the breathing work).
    Rgds
    Thanks for the insights!

I'm currently using Scubapro GO fins which are about 2.5 lbs and pretty light.

I've bungeed the top of my wing but will make it tighter and make sure no gas is getting added up top.

Would you mind sending a picture of your backplate setup? I'm curious to see it.

I've got a Halcyon wing, harness & backplate that I've used for doubles but never thought about using it on my rEvo (but I don't have much a back pain issue either).

Thanks,

- brett

RBW Member Parker74 is an unknown quantity at this point Parker74's Avatar
    rEvo

My warm water setup - 5mm wetsuit plus 3L steel tanks. No added weight to unit. S80 BO & Jet Fins. No trim issue. I just need to ‘arch my back’ into good trim (or not if I can’t be bothered trying to look good )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post
    I had one person recently recommend the Apeks RK3 which he said are slightly positively buoyant.
    - brett
    Same recommendation here when used with a rEvo. Made a difference bringing up the rear!

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Before optimising trip, i second other advice to have the right buoyancy / no overweight. I had the steel rental tank issue in tropical water while 3mm wetsuit diving... thinking about it, it was very dangerous as we were finning against strong currents while wing was very inflated...
    Back to the topic, i definitely second the drysuit: adjusting your position you’ll put just enough air to get your legs where you need them.
    Beyond drysuit as you might not want one in tropical water, i think fins make the biggest difference.
    I use scubapro’s seawing novas, which are great for flutter kick, less suited for frogkick. They are positively buoyant.
    I guess they’re the reason why - with thick undergarnments, 3L steel tanks and 2kg on top pouch, i am very head heavy. I need to adjust my weighting...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rEvo 3 St

Hi I'll make pics of the backplate setup on Sunday.

Rgds

rEvo 3 St

Thumbs up Re: Trim with rEvo Micro III

Hi
    Here are some pics.

So. I just cut about 3 cm of the top of the backplate in the middle and fold it.

Then, to make it clean I welded it and made a third hole {this is not a Must}

You need to modify a bolt/fastener (not sure about the good word in english) / see picture.

This way you can use the original hole of the rEvo (absolutely nothing to modify on the machine)

And the back blate with the fold perfectly fit the rEvo. On mine there is absolutely no extra space between the rEvo ant the back plate.
    It put the rEvo a bit higher on your back.

And of course you will not feel the folded part on your back / I still use it with my 2x10l from time to time.

Rgds
    IMG_20180819_163053.jpgIMG_20180819_163213.jpgIMG_20180819_163258.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2