+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trim with rEvo Micro III

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Trim with rEvo Micro III

Hi,

I've been working to improve my trim but I'm still "butt heavy" (hmmm, well, that doesn't sound great, but I'm sure you know what I mean). :)

I'm currently using the DiveRite Nomad sidemount wing to force the gas back towards the valves and first stages. That does seem to help but doesn't completely alleviate the problem.

I've also used an extra 4-6 lbs in the weight pouch and that helps but I really don't want to add any extra weight if I don't need to. If I dive with steel 3L tanks, I already sink like a rock with a 5mm wetsuit and a couple 40 cu ft Alu tanks for B/O. With carbon fiber tanks I'm about neutral (and the sidemount wing impact is lessened since I barely add any gas).

In my current jet-lagged state, I actually thought about seeing if I could mount the tanks with the valves up by moving the first stages and adjusting the hose lengths. Not sure if anybody else has contemplated or tried this?

Then, during my research, I found that Dive Rite now makes a CCR wing with a separate "trim pillow" (not sure who came up with that name) that adds up to 10 lbs of "targeted lift" to the hip region. See https://www.diverite.com/products/wi...w-trim-pillow/.

This might be a little more specific than using the Nomad side mount wing.

Two questions:

1. How have other rEvo divers "fixed" any similar trim issues?
    2. Has anybody tried the CCR wing with the "trim pillow?"

Thanks!

- brett
    Last edited by beldridg; 2nd August 2018 at 14:55.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Re: Trim with rEvo Micro III

I've always dove mine dry and needed the head weight even with steel 3L. And extra weight as well.

It is getting warm enough that the next time I head out I am going to try the 5mm suit and see what that takes. I was initially planning on keeping the 6Lb of weight up there as a starting point.

Now you have me thinking of how this will work out. I'll be watching this for further results.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

What fins are you using? When I first started CCR diving, I still had my "good ol' " jet fins.
    they are very heavy and negative.

With CF tanks and Dive Rite fins, my trim is near perfect and my neutral buoyancy range is great, since I am less heavy overall.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    What fins are you using? When I first started CCR diving, I still had my "good ol' " jet fins.
    they are very heavy and negative.

With CF tanks and Dive Rite fins, my trim is near perfect and my neutral buoyancy range is great, since I am less heavy overall.
    Hi Claudia,

Currently, Scuba Pro Go fins (they are very convenient for travel). I haven't really checked their buoyancy and the Scubapro website doesn't specify. I'm guessing close to neutral.

I had one person recently recommend the Apeks RK3 which he said are slightly positively buoyant.

- brett

Forever Learning kennethw is an unknown quantity at this point kennethw's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT / full rMS

Dräger Dolphin (mCCR)

I bungee my wing so it forces the air down to the butt region.

RBW Member ECho is on a distinguished road ECho is on a distinguished road ECho's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Meg

I’m in about the same place as Claudia... In warm water, Micto FT with C/F tanks, a 3mm wetsuit and DiveRite fins, I use 2 kg in the weight pouch. One thing, though, that I’ve noticed is that when I get “lazy” on ascents, in regards to managing loop volume, I tend to seahorse... Once I vent off the excess loop gas, I come right back into trim. One would think that with the internal BMCL, a rEvo wouldn’t be so affected by loop volume, but it seems to matter, in my case... BTW, in “cold” water (below 25*C), I switch to a drysuit with Xerotherm undergarments and steel bottles, with 2-3kg in the pouch, and the drysuit buoyancy seems to keep me in trim...

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by ECho  View Original Post
    I’m in about the same place as Claudia... In warm water, Micto FT with C/F tanks, a 3mm wetsuit and DiveRite fins, I use 2 kg in the weight pouch. One thing, though, that I’ve noticed is that when I get “lazy” on ascents, in regards to managing loop volume, I tend to seahorse... Once I vent off the excess loop gas, I come right back into trim. One would think that with the internal BMCL, a rEvo wouldn’t be so affected by loop volume, but it seems to matter, in my case... BTW, in “cold” water (below 25*C), I switch to a drysuit with Xerotherm undergarments and steel bottles, with 2-3kg in the pouch, and the drysuit buoyancy seems to keep me in trim...

HTH
    Yup, good data point. Thanks.

I agree that a drysuit would help offset the bottom-heavy problem with steel tanks.

Any experience or thoughts with steel 3L bottles in a wetsuit?

I don't "need" any weights in the pouch but will probably but 2-3kg there next time just to help with trim and add some gas to my wing in the rear.

I also agree with the loop volume, especially upon reaching a new deco stop depth.

- brett

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

With drysuit I use 2 kg on top ( heavy undergarments) and steel tanks

With wetsuit I use no weights, wing bungees on the upper half and light fins

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

I really hate threads like this
    In my 2mm neoprene drysuit with undersuit & heated vest I have 2kg each side on my waist & 4 1/2kg on the top, this with a revo III micro titanium with a stainless KT stand on the bottom.
    with this my trim is level

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky  View Original Post
    I really hate threads like this
    In my 2mm neoprene drysuit with undersuit & heated vest I have 2kg each side on my waist & 4 1/2kg on the top, this with a revo III micro titanium with a stainless KT stand on the bottom.
    with this my trim is level
    That’s more then 8.5 kg, that’s a lot....but if you need it then it’s like that

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast