+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repling rEvodreams with hardwired SW NERD

Erwin sunfish is an unknown quantity at this point sunfish's Avatar
    rEvoIII Hybrid rMS

Repling rEvodreams with hardwired SW NERD

Hi,

I like the functionality of my 2 rEvodreams a lot for redundant PO2 readings. However, I hate them being too bulky.

Now I am thinking of replacing them with a hardwired NERD. Ok, it is (too) expensive, but the rEvo gets a lot more cleaner that way. I can ditch the standalone Petrel too.

Anyone diving this configuration? Worth the money?

Cheers,
    Erwin

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Re: Repling rEvodreams with hardwired SW NERD

I dive a Meg with a primary and Nerd secondary. Got rid of the hUD as it seemed not needed. Cleans up cables and other stuff. Are you going with a nerd2 and the transmitters?

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

So a NERD as a controller, computer, HUD, and PPO display. I see a lack of redundancy. Shearwater is good, but I don't have that much faith in them.

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

Quote Originally Posted by sunfish  View Original Post
    Hi,

I like the functionality of my 2 rEvodreams a lot for redundant PO2 readings. However, I hate them being too bulky.

Now I am thinking of replacing them with a hardwired NERD. Ok, it is (too) expensive, but the rEvo gets a lot more cleaner that way. I can ditch the standalone Petrel too.

Anyone diving this configuration? Worth the money?

Cheers,
    Erwin
    I trained with a mCCR rEvo with a Petrel and 2 rEvo dreams.

I bought a hCCR rEvo with a Petrel controller (DiveCAN bus monitoring three cells) and a NERD (hardwired to monitor two separate cells).

I recently got the bug to use AI (don't ask) and so I switched out my NERD for a NERD2.

If you are interested, I don't need my original NERD anymore and I'd be happy to sell it to you. It has less than 100 hours on it and is in good condition. You can PM me if you want more details or pictures.

Either way, I highly recommend a NERD.

- brett

PS - I don't know how you would "ditch" the Petrel in either configuration. I don't know if you have a mCCR or hCCR, but either way, you would want a redundant computer.

rEvoIII Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by broncobowsher  View Original Post
    So a NERD as a controller, computer, HUD, and PPO display. I see a lack of redundancy. Shearwater is good, but I don't have that much faith in them.

In the configuration I have in mind, the Predator will still be the controller and the NERD with 2 sensors replacing the dreams. Here you have the redundancy.
    Last edited by sunfish; 11th July 2018 at 05:59.

rEvoIII Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by haaginheimer  View Original Post
    I dive a Meg with a primary and Nerd secondary. Got rid of the hUD as it seemed not needed. Cleans up cables and other stuff. Are you going with a nerd2 and the transmitters?

NERD2, and will using the SPGs.

rEvoIII Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post
    I trained with a mCCR rEvo with a Petrel and 2 rEvo dreams.

I bought a hCCR rEvo with a Petrel controller (DiveCAN bus monitoring three cells) and a NERD (hardwired to monitor two separate cells).

I recently got the bug to use AI (don't ask) and so I switched out my NERD for a NERD2.

If you are interested, I don't need my original NERD anymore and I'd be happy to sell it to you. It has less than 100 hours on it and is in good condition. You can PM me if you want more details or pictures.

Either way, I highly recommend a NERD.

- brett

PS - I don't know how you would "ditch" the Petrel in either configuration. I don't know if you have a mCCR or hCCR, but either way, you would want a redundant computer.

I will keep your offer in mind, thanks.

My Petrel is currently the standalone backup. That one would be replaced by the NERD hardwired to 2 sensors. Still the Predator as controller.

I dive my unit hCCR, but on many dives I control it manually with the controller as parachute.

IANTD rEvo Instructor koni is an unknown quantity at this point koni's Avatar
    rEvo III mini&micro rMS NERD

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

Hi All ..
    Some points to think about :

1st:

a rEvo expedition has usually 2 rEvodreams :

If one system fails, you can dive with the two others:

if the controler fails : use 2 rEvodreams, each with 2 sensors, dive the rEvo manually.

if one rEvodream fails : use the other rEvoDream with 2 sensors.

You have always 2 independent units, that is necessary for a safe configuration.
    Fine on diveplaces, where you can not repair the system at once - because of that, this config ist called "expedition"...

In a Controller/NERD combination, if one system fails, there is only one system left - thats not a safe configuration, because the backup system has gone... you should not dive any more.

2nd:
    i can not use the Backup-NERD as an independent Divecomputer, for example to do sport-dives, or other OC-Dives, so i need one more computer.

3nd:
    You do realy need a "pO2 connected" backup, usually the not connected computer calculates perfect decompression ...

4th:
    In a Petrel/NERD combination:
    You have a sensor-failure on the NERD while diving ... in that case,the NERD gets (normally) 2 different values from the 2 connected sensors:

The connected NERD will calulate wrong decompression ...

There is a solution, to solve that without loosing your backup-computer.
    Who knows the anwer ?

5th
    one NERD2 with Fischer connector is high expensiv -- check, that the split-cable to the sensors is included. 2 rEvodreams are cheaper and you have 2 backups ..

6th
    divers have different experience with the relaibility of the fischer-connector .. rEvo recommends to connect the NRED fix without fischer.

7th
    you loose the led's:
    for me, it's much easier to check the green LED is on and no yellow or red LED blinks :
    that means the pO2 is exact 1.3 ...

for me that is less work, compared to read the display and check 3 pO2- numbers/values ..

the 1st i recognize, is a blinking LED in the HUD ... than i check the controller

btw: it's not possible to connect both (NERD and Petrel) with divecan.

regards
    Koni
    Last edited by koni; 11th July 2018 at 11:44.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by sunfish  View Original Post
    In the configuration I have in mind, the Predator will still be the controller and the NERD with 2 sensors replacing the dreams. Here you have the redundancy.
    OK, that sounds good.
    That's very close to how a lot of new ones are made. Petrel controller with NERD reading 2 extra cells.
    I was (incorrectly) reading that you were going NERD only.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

I drive with the nerd as controller, 1 dream ( tucked away behind my back, only need to see the hud) and a petrel backup (fisher)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread