+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to get those Thai kids out?

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

How to get those Thai kids out?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thai-cave...190645238.html So apparently they are trapped several kilometers into the cave system with zero visibility and strong flows. We don't know the depths but let's assume that since you could walk in all the way in dry weather the passages can't be too deep. News reports suggest that it could take "weeks" to evacuate them. We know better. Come on folks-what would you suggest? I'm thinking full face masks, positive buoyancy and a couple valium- then muscle them out.

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

Re: How to get those Thai kids out?

I hope they get the kids out.

It is sad how bad the coverage has been . Apparently it's a team of UK cave divers not government or public safety divers who made the traverse and found the kids.

I wish they would send Edd in he could get them all out in 1 trip using nothing but speedo, a spair air and a uv26

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Bruce Konefe is working with the rescue team. I just sent him his repaired HH 3 weeks ago, then I saw him on ABC News.

We got some good dudes in our community. Bruce and the rest of the guys should be applauded for the work they're all doing to save those kids. Made my day when they found them all alive.

Next time anyone sees Bruce, buy him a beer or two.

Kevin.

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

Cool Re: How to get those Thai kids out?

After 20 or so Boy Scout O/W checkouts in the Rockaways (NYC's inlet to the Atlantic) I probably am an expert on handling scared neophyte teenagers in zero vis. I also speak a little Thai. If I had cave training I'd be on a plane to Bangkok.

Quote Originally Posted by tcascione  View Original Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/thai-cave...190645238.html So apparently they are trapped several kilometers into the cave system with zero visibility and strong flows. We don't know the depths but let's assume that since you could walk in all the way in dry weather the passages can't be too deep. News reports suggest that it could take "weeks" to evacuate them. We know better. Come on folks-what would you suggest? I'm thinking full face masks, positive buoyancy and a couple valium- then muscle them out.

what about a hell lot of water pumps?

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Love the media coverage. A bozo reporter named Ben Tracy from See B S (CBS) reported that the kids would be training with Thai Navy SEALs to learn how to scuba dive with oxygen tanks. Here are a few quotes from this idiot, oxygen huh?:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thailan...am-2018-07-02/

Divers have been stymied repeatedly by rising water that forced them to withdraw for safety reasons. When water levels fell Sunday, the divers went forward with a more methodical approach, deploying a rope line and extra oxygen supplies along the way.

Narongsak explained early Monday that fixing rope lines and deploying oxygen tanks along their route will allow the divers to operate.

And "they have tried on dive masks that would allow them to breathe underwater" I've gotta get a diving mask that allows me to breathe underwater, wunder if they sell them at Wally World? I find it difficult to believe they would try and fit FFMs to these kids.

Apparently he says the Navy Seals (didn't say which country) are the group doing the rescue, exclusively. It seems this particular reporter decided to come to his own conclusions, whata freakin' bozo, obviously not a diver. Maybe he should do us all a favor and try those ridiculous snorkel mask POS things people are getting hypercap with.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by aag  View Original Post
    what about a hell lot of water pumps?
    Already in place and running.

New Rebreather Diver RoyJN is an unknown quantity at this point RoyJN's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

Looks like it just turn to the worst and a first death just happened.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thai-auth...023522036.html
    Last edited by RoyJN; 6th July 2018 at 22:29.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

That's horrible news.
    Excuse the metaphor, but these guys are between the devil and the deep blue sea.
    Wait for months (?) in a cave with decreasing oxygen levels or try to shepherd non-divers through a rather long and extreme cave diving situation.
    As much as I love armchair quarterbacking diving situations, this is just an incredibly tough place to be. The best we can hope for is to minimize any further fatalities.

RBW Member Ballester is an unknown quantity at this point Ballester's Avatar
    MEG CCR

Megalodon, Sentinel Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Love the media coverage. A bozo reporter named Ben Tracy from See B S (CBS) reported that the kids would be training with Thai Navy SEALs to learn how to scuba dive with oxygen tanks. Here are a few quotes from this idiot, oxygen huh?:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thailan...am-2018-07-02/

Divers have been stymied repeatedly by rising water that forced them to withdraw for safety reasons. When water levels fell Sunday, the divers went forward with a more methodical approach, deploying a rope line and extra oxygen supplies along the way.

Narongsak explained early Monday that fixing rope lines and deploying oxygen tanks along their route will allow the divers to operate.

And "they have tried on dive masks that would allow them to breathe underwater" I've gotta get a diving mask that allows me to breathe underwater, wunder if they sell them at Wally World? I find it difficult to believe they would try and fit FFMs to these kids.

Apparently he says the Navy Seals (didn't say which country) are the group doing the rescue, exclusively. It seems this particular reporter decided to come to his own conclusions, whata freakin' bozo, obviously not a diver. Maybe he should do us all a favor and try those ridiculous snorkel mask POS things people are getting hypercap with.

Since the deepest part of the cave is only 5 meters. Oxygen tanks do make sense... probably is not that stupid.
    Give them a break... they are not divers for them those are Oxygen bottles the same they use in hospitals why do the diver community still gets idiot with this terms instead of trying to clarify them.

For sure we all use stupid terms that we think are correct in many other areas that are not our expertise. Like aviation... people call Stairs to the Ramp. Or Engine to the Turbines....... list goes on and on...