+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State of the art PSCR

State of the art PSCR

Hello,

I wonder what's the state of the art in PSCR's.

There is a lot happening with CCR's but PSCR's seem to have been forgotten. What unit would you recommend in 2018?

Thanks.

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Re: State of the art PSCR

You could use the KISS GEM mouthpiece - might be something to look into if you're into customization and trying to make a single unit into something changeable.

I took a GEM and built it into a mCCR with 3 cells pretty easily (Mike Young at KISS will do a 3 cell and fischer cable in the head if you ask) and just changed the lungs so I could have O2 and Dil manual adds. Pretty cool little unit - lightweight and capable (poor mans Classic)

If you want to keep it PSCR, use a gas switch block (I ran dual LP 50s with a deep gas and a shallow gas) and you can make the GEM a fun and easy unit to dive. I used 50EAN for shallow and travel gas and then ran a 30/30 for bottom mix for some deeper lake dives here in the Great Lakes. When needed I had offboard O2 for deco. I wound up changing the regulator to an Apeks instead of the Micro and had some custom T-pieces done up by Martin at Tecme.

I think I have some photos etc if you're ever interested in a project.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Except it seems nobody who's tried one likes the GEM at all (have no tried it myself seems like a dead end to me).

One of the RB80 clones is a more functional and popular alternative. Lots of them around and lots of frames and other components being sold.

RBW Member atomik is an unknown quantity at this point atomik's Avatar
    Hammerhead / Mccr homemade

Classic, Voyager, NT1 pscr, HH

PSCR are not involved in evolution of new features from many years. Also today most people uses old models as RB80, Tourill, RB200, Hyperion, Sf1, NT2, AH1, in so many variant, but PSCR that are on the market are only Hyperion, Satori, Tres Presidentes, maybe RB80 I'm not sure. TresPresidentes is very used in Europe, in the last years has increased very much, in term of numbers

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Except it seems nobody who's tried one likes the GEM at all (have no tried it myself seems like a dead end to me).

One of the RB80 clones is a more functional and popular alternative. Lots of them around and lots of frames and other components being sold.
    The counterlung placement and the T-pieces on the GEM as standard are not ideal so I understand why alot of people do not like them.

The other PSCR units are significantly heavier if you have longer walks or climb walls for entry to areas, thats why I found the GEM to be very useful.

I now use a custom Meg with AV1 controller so my pSCR days are gone

Quote Originally Posted by atomik  View Original Post
    maybe RB80 I'm not sure.

The RB80 is still on the market, but costs an obscene amount of money. I would like to take the GUE pSCR class though. I wonder if they accept a Tres Presidentes or any PSCR other than the RB80...

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by haaginheimer  View Original Post
    The counterlung placement and the T-pieces on the GEM as standard are not ideal so I understand why alot of people do not like them.

The other PSCR units are significantly heavier if you have longer walks or climb walls for entry to areas, thats why I found the GEM to be very useful.

I now use a custom Meg with AV1 controller so my pSCR days are gone
    more that the mouthpiece has a tendency to flood

Quote Originally Posted by aag  View Original Post
    The RB80 is still on the market, but costs an obscene amount of money. I would like to take the GUE pSCR class though. I wonder if they accept a Tres Presidentes or any PSCR other than the RB80...
    they do not, but there are plenty of decent pscr instructors around.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I loved my GEM, dove the hell out of it. For recreational, its awesome, but PSCR isnt a unit for tec diving.

RBW Member laphiloche is an unknown quantity at this point laphiloche's Avatar
    edo 04

The GEM is a 1/3 (i think) ratio and the other pscr are 1/8-/1/10 ratio. It's a big gap and change lots of things. I have an 2 EDO 04 (rb 80 clone), 1 hammer head ,1 kiss sideckik and i do max 1 or 2 dive per year with my pscr.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

this is or was a 1:8 for the gem, but you had to have connections to get it.

+ Reply to Thread