+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NERD2 early impressions

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

NERD2 early impressions

This relates to the DiveCAN NERD2 on a JJ-CCR but there is nothing unit-specific about my comments.

After a week or so of using it I can sadly reveal that I'm not particularly impressed.

The effective display is a lot smaller than that on the NERD1 (I think they say it's the equivalent of a 25" screen at 12' whereas the old one was like a 32" screen at the same distance. This has the slight 'advantage' that one doesn't need to direct it quite so precisely in order to see the whole display, but that's probably me just justifying the expense to myself.

I have no need of AI so I'm struggling to see what I'm gaining. I do like getting rid of the battery box but I've only got through 3 or 4 SAFTs in 2Ĺ years of using the NERD1 (maybe 250 dives)

All in all, I'm regretting upgrading and am seriously considering offloading the NERD2 and reverting to the old one, which I've still got for sale.

RBW Member Turtle1974 is an unknown quantity at this point Turtle1974's Avatar
    KISS SPIRIT

Re: NERD2 early impressions

do you want to sell the nerd 2 ?

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by NickB  View Original Post
    This relates to the DiveCAN NERD2 on a JJ-CCR but there is nothing unit-specific about my comments.

After a week or so of using it I can sadly reveal that I'm not particularly impressed.

The effective display is a lot smaller than that on the NERD1 (I think they say it's the equivalent of a 25" screen at 12' whereas the old one was like a 32" screen at the same distance. This has the slight 'advantage' that one doesn't need to direct it quite so precisely in order to see the whole display, but that's probably me just justifying the expense to myself.

I have no need of AI so I'm struggling to see what I'm gaining. I do like getting rid of the battery box but I've only got through 3 or 4 SAFTs in 2Ĺ years of using the NERD1 (maybe 250 dives)

All in all, I'm regretting upgrading and am seriously considering offloading the NERD2 and reverting to the old one, which I've still got for sale.
    That's interesting. I like the NERD 2 better then the NERD 1.
    Chett. L

RBW Member Kefrko is an unknown quantity at this point Kefrko's Avatar
    rEvo 3

I canít compare it to a nerd1 because I previously had a dream HUD but I love my Nerd2. I agree that the AI isnít necssary but I do enjoy and utilize the feature. I was able to eliminate the two hoses and gauges coming over my shoulders and clean up my chest area. I think JJ routes those hoses behind you down by your hip so I could see how that wouldnít be as much of a benefit. I know a JJ guy that might also be interested in your Nerd2 if you are thinking about shopping it.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I like the NERD2 a lot better than the NERD1. The display is super crisp and I like not having to mount the battery box elsewhere.

Additionally, I have gotten tired of the high pressure spool leaking from my pressure gauges and went wireless. I configured the NERD2 so I can see my tank pressures all the time (which I don't believe is necessary for diving), but it does alert me if they are critically low or if I don't have the tanks turned on.

RBW Member Andrewdd is an unknown quantity at this point Andrewdd's Avatar
    rEvoIII hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I like the NERD2 a lot better than the NERD1. The display is super crisp and I like not having to mount the battery box elsewhere.

Additionally, I have gotten tired of the high pressure spool leaking from my pressure gauges and went wireless. I configured the NERD2 so I can see my tank pressures all the time (which I don't believe is necessary for diving), but it does alert me if they are critically low or if I don't have the tanks turned on.
    Tempting, do you have a standard gauge as back up? Would be interested in peoples thoughts.

RBW Member Kefrko is an unknown quantity at this point Kefrko's Avatar
    rEvo 3

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdd  View Original Post
    Tempting, do you have a standard gauge as back up? Would be interested in peoples thoughts.
    I donít use a backup gauge, just the AI. I have about 20hrs with it setup this way and no problems. I have heard of some people installing button gauges just so they have a quick way to check but for me, it hasnít been an issue.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdd  View Original Post

Having a standard gauge defeats the purpose of ridding myself of annoying spool failures.
    I check my tanks before I mount them on the unit. Then I have the AI to go from there.
    Button gauges make no sense since you cannot read them once you put the unit on.

If I had a Teric or Perdix AI, I would put AI on my bailouts, too.

RBW Member Andrewdd is an unknown quantity at this point Andrewdd's Avatar
    rEvoIII hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Having a standard gauge defeats the purpose of ridding myself of annoying spool failures.
    I check my tanks before I mount them on the unit. Then I have the AI to go from there.
    Button gauges make no sense since you cannot read them once you put the unit on.

If I had a Teric or Perdix AI, I would put AI on my bailouts, too.
    I wonder if there is any hard data out there comparing the reliability of a digital gauge versus an analogue one.
    My initial thoughts are the digital gauge has more failure points ie two sets of electronics and batteries.
    There is something to be said looking at a simple 'mechanical/ analogue' readout rather than looking at a digital readout and blindly accepting it. We do this all the time with cells and depth gauge but the point is we have back ups.

Nethertheless the AI is still very tempting. Especially, as rightly or wrongly, I rarely look at the analogue contents gauge during a normal dive.

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle1974  View Original Post
    do you want to sell the nerd 2 ?
    No, itís grown on me now. And, despite my earlier comments, Iíve now added AI.

Call me fickle :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast