+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remembering Tektite II & the Mark 10 Stealth Rig

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Remembering Tektite II & the Mark 10 Stealth Rig

The use of the "uber-secret" GE Mark10 rebreather (which wasn't so secret) and other great research history - some of which we all benefit from today while diving our rebreathers. These women did a fantastic job and blazed the trail for future women scientists under the watchful eye of Dr. Silvia Earle of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting. If you have Netflix she has a special titled Mission Blue, check it out.

https://stjohnhistoricalsociety.org/...y-robin-swank/

There were many successes. By the end of Tektite II all Diver Decompression tables were recalibrated, increasing the amount of Oxygen and the decompression time advised for safe diving. Rebreather units proved their worth. Invented by C.J. Lambertsen in 1942, the redeveloped GE Mark 10 rebreathers proved invaluable to biologists attempting to observe seafloor life unobtrusively. With their internal Baralyme air ‘scrubber,’ they enabled divers to stay submerged for 12 hours without noisy bubbles and the up and down movement caused by inhaling and exhaling. Forty–eight divers used the Rebreathers on tasks for 1–6 hours in length, producing more accurate behavioral observations with their less obtrusive marine research. The units proved, however, ‘unforgiving’ when human error was made; they were “classified” by the Navy, depriving the Aquanauts of their use during Tektite I, but all but one of the 11 missions of Tektite II took advantage of this technology.

Members of the Tektit II all–women‘s mission,
    review the fundamentals of the GE ‘Mark–10’
    rebreather unit which greatly extended dive time.
    Last edited by whynot?; 11th June 2018 at 21:39.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Remembering Tektite II & the Mark 10 Stealth Rig

Wow, another chapter of RB history I had no idea of, thank you for posting this!

Was this unit the starting point for the MKs? And wow, that's the most women RB divers I've ever seen in one place, and it was 60 years ago?!

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Awesome article!

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

I thought you'd enjoy this post Kev! You may recall in the 70's that the MK10 was deployed through a DDS lockout at 1,010FSW... and Operation Ivy Bells off Russia with the USS Halibut SSN587 https://www.military.com/history/ope...ivy-bells.html

Cue up the From Russia with Love soundtrack
    [IMG]http://www.hi******.com/images/Halibut_poster4000.jpg[/IMG]

I believe the MK series started back in the 60's, The Dude can probably elaborate as he did a killer in-depth history of the units that I believe was posted on RBW at one time.
    Last edited by whynot?; 13th June 2018 at 19:44.