+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NERD2 on a rEvo with AI Integration for Dil/O2

RBW Member beldridg is an unknown quantity at this point beldridg's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro hCCR + rMS

NERD2 on a rEvo with AI Integration for Dil/O2

I finally completed a longstanding project today to put a NERD2 on my rEvo and use two transmitters (that I used to use for O/C) for monitoring Dil & O2 tank pressures.

No more SPGs on my chest. :)

On my unit, I have the Petrel2 on DiveCAN as the controller and the NERD2 "hard-wired" and monitoring two cells along with the tank pressure on Dil/O2.

If you are only monitoring two cells, you can configure the space that is usually used for the third cell to show tank pressures (I've attached a picture). You can also just show T1 or T2 and if you want a larger view you can use the right button to show both on the bottom row (persistently like the compass if you want).

If I get a chance, I'll do a writeup on the complete NERD removal and NERD2 installation since there are few steps that get tricky if you don't do them in the right order.

I've attached three pictures:

1. Showing the way I routed the transmitters and hoses. I used 24" Miflex hoses so the way the picture shows it is that the transmitter on the left is Dil and the one on the right is O2 with a velcro strap affixing it to the handle. A little confusing, but it is the best hose routing and mounting I could come up with.

IMG_4538.jpg

2. Showing the display on the NERD2. I chose Dil for T1 and O2 for T2 but it is arbitrary. My O2 tank was low on pressure so it is blinking yellow but you get the idea. I wish I could re-label "T1" to "DL" and "T2" to "O2", but I'll file a feature request for that. Side note: taking pictures of a NERD screen with an iPhone is not easy. :)

IMG_4537.jpg

3. One thing I really like about the way that rEvo did this was that they used a wet mate connector outside the PG7 gland (vs a Fischer). This means that you can very easily attach or detach the NERD2 unit for travel or cleaning or ...

IMG_4539.jpg

Regards,

- bret

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Re: NERD2 on a rEvo with AI Integration for Dil/O2

I have the same setup (Nerd2, Petrel2 controller, revo) but have not invested in the transmitters yet. I was wondering what the best way to mount the transmitters would be. There isn't any room down on the first stages. It is a tight fit with just hoses. The back of the head location for the transmitters should be close enough to the Nerd2 that there shouldn't be any dropout issues. I would like to hear how that works in the long term.

The wetmate connectors are nice and simple. Although mine didn't come with the nice cap you have on yours. The Nerd2 is a 4-pin and the controller is 5-pin, so you can't mix them up. I was kinda hoping they would be the same and maybe be able to use the Nerd as a backup controller if need be, but it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by broncobowsher  View Original Post
    I have the same setup (Nerd2, Petrel2 controller, revo) but have not invested in the transmitters yet. I was wondering what the best way to mount the transmitters would be. There isn't any room down on the first stages. It is a tight fit with just hoses. The back of the head location for the transmitters should be close enough to the Nerd2 that there shouldn't be any dropout issues. I would like to hear how that works in the long term.
    I've heard of some people that tried using a small 6" miflex hose off the first stage for the transmitter but then had signal dropout issues. I think my setup will work, but time will tell. I'm off to a one week trip to Malapascua in about 3 weeks so it will be a good test. I'll report back after the trip.

The wetmate connectors are nice and simple. Although mine didn't come with the nice cap you have on yours. The Nerd2 is a 4-pin and the controller is 5-pin, so you can't mix them up. I was kinda hoping they would be the same and maybe be able to use the Nerd as a backup controller if need be, but it can't.
    The reason one is 5 pins vs. 4 is DiveCAN bus vs. Analog. I had a discussion with Pieter @ rEvo about this a few months ago. I had wanted a NERD2 that was also DiveCAN so that I could swap the controller back and forth as you mention but there are both some technical and some safety related reasons that rEvo doesn't allow it (i.e., there is only one DiveCAN bus on-board).

Regards,

- brett

Although mine didn't come with the nice cap you have on yours.
    PS - I'm guessing that is because I bought mine as a standalone NERD2 from rEvo and not already assembled. If you have a little money to burn, you could get the "fancy" version that plugs both sides of the connection:

DiveCAN 5 pin

http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/prod...le-and-female/

Analog 4 pin

http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/prod...le-and-female/

Regards,

- brett

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post

The reason one is 5 pins vs. 4 is DiveCAN bus vs. Analog. I had a discussion with Pieter @ rEvo about this a few months ago. I had wanted a NERD2 that was also DiveCAN so that I could swap the controller back and forth as you mention but there are both some technical and some safety related reasons that rEvo doesn't allow it (i.e., there is only one DiveCAN bus on-board).

Regards,

- brett

I had the same discussion. Basicly if the CAN goes out you have nothing.

This way it is completely split. If either computer dies, for whatever reason, you still have one that is working.

Have you done the NERD2 recall yet? I already had the depth sensor go out after about 7 hours. The warning I got was the temperature on the prior dive was reading low. When it failed I was at 300mBar (about 30,000 feet elevation) and the temp was -11°. The temp sensor is built into the pressure sensor. All fixed now. If you haven't got it done yet I would strongly suggest it before a week long trip.

Have you done the NERD2 recall yet? I already had the depth sensor go out after about 7 hours. The warning I got was the temperature on the prior dive was reading low. When it failed I was at 300mBar (about 30,000 feet elevation) and the temp was -11°. The temp sensor is built into the pressure sensor. All fixed now. If you haven't got it done yet I would strongly suggest it before a week long trip.
    Thanks. I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago from rEvo and it is one of the newer units that already has the problem fixed. :)

- brett

TBD

Good to hear. Didn't want you to miss anything.

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beldridg  View Original Post
    I finally completed a longstanding project today to put a NERD2 on my rEvo and use two transmitters (that I used to use for O/C) for monitoring Dil & O2 tank pressures.

No more SPGs on my chest. :)

On my unit, I have the Petrel2 on DiveCAN as the controller and the NERD2 "hard-wired" and monitoring two cells along with the tank pressure on Dil/O2.

If you are only monitoring two cells, you can configure the space that is usually used for the third cell to show tank pressures (I've attached a picture). You can also just show T1 or T2 and if you want a larger view you can use the right button to show both on the bottom row (persistently like the compass if you want).

If I get a chance, I'll do a writeup on the complete NERD removal and NERD2 installation since there are few steps that get tricky if you don't do them in the right order.

I've attached three pictures:

1. Showing the way I routed the transmitters and hoses. I used 24" Miflex hoses so the way the picture shows it is that the transmitter on the left is Dil and the one on the right is O2 with a velcro strap affixing it to the handle. A little confusing, but it is the best hose routing and mounting I could come up with.

Attachment 44628

2. Showing the display on the NERD2. I chose Dil for T1 and O2 for T2 but it is arbitrary. My O2 tank was low on pressure so it is blinking yellow but you get the idea. I wish I could re-label "T1" to "DL" and "T2" to "O2", but I'll file a feature request for that. Side note: taking pictures of a NERD screen with an iPhone is not easy. :)

Attachment 44629

3. One thing I really like about the way that rEvo did this was that they used a wet mate connector outside the PG7 gland (vs a Fischer). This means that you can very easily attach or detach the NERD2 unit for travel or cleaning or ...

Attachment 44627

Regards,

- bret
    I have the same setup with the nerd 1 and Divecan Petrel RMS controller. I want to sell the Nerd 1 (no clue what it is worth) and get the Nerd 2 for the purpose of getting rid of my SPGs. My friend just did it and ran the HP hoses vertically from the first stage and the AI sensor terminates just above the top of the yellow revo case. So far no issues.

I keep seeing reasonable and crazy prices for the version of the nerd 2 that I need....

I wont buy it until Im 100% sure that the depth sensor issue is resolved also.

TBD

I had a discussion with Shearwater service center about the depth sensors. Very good long phone call. I am 100% sure they are fixed. Condensed story, they went with a new digital sensor that worked great in testing. Production ramped up and the quality disappeared from the sensors. Shearwater undid the change and went back to the old tried and true analog depth sensors they have been using for years on all the prior products. So the NERD2 now has the exact same depth sensor that has been trouble free for years.

Go get your NERD2, send in the serial number to Shearwater and make sure it isn't affected by the recall. If need be send it in for rework. The depth sensor will be just like your old one, fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk  View Original Post
    My friend just did it and ran the HP hoses vertically from the first stage and the AI sensor terminates just above the top of the yellow revo case.
    If you could get a picture of how it looks that would be much appreciated. I'd like to compare it to my setup. I'd also like to know the length of the HP hoses they used.

- brett

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast