+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Faber 5L 232bar <> YBOD

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Faber 5L 232bar <> YBOD

Just bought a Faber 5L 232bar steel as bailout. Maybe be an overkill for the dives I am doing now but this will offer me more peace of mind and can even be used in the future. Do you think this will unbalance me too much , that I have to move some weight?

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar
    How do you rig your stage? I was thinking of the DIR way (obviously Dive In Rebreather) , reasons this offers a handle to carry stage, cannot lose the clips or get them stolen and even very important forget them behind :)

Quote Originally Posted by jptaylor9
    I also use a 5L faber steel, doesn't effect my balance. Nice short cylinder, much better than one of my 7l's...

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Dont you find the boot makes the tail end go all floaty on you?

Stuart

Can you remind me how to thread the buddy stage cylinder bands ? As I have a pair of these but I forgot how to attach them and from your pic cannot make out the back part of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jptaylor9
    DIR - Dive Inspiration Rebreather

I'm using Buddy Stage Cylinder Bands attach to D-ring on wing and one half way up counterlung.

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Dont you find the boot makes the tail end go all floaty on you?

Stuart
    Fabers are steel and boots are negative.

Hello,

Dived the unit with one 5L Faber 232bar steel stage and can say as already told above, I was totally neutral in the water, what I did was to remove 1Kg from top of unit and now boyance feel better. As with stage I had too much air in wing at 6m! The only problem was to find the damn Chest D ring and here I am starting to miss my Custom Divers Badly !!!!

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    Fabers are steel and boots are negative.
    I have to admit I based my comment on this photo from Mark Chase - to me it sure looks like the boot end is floaty oh and they are steel too.

Even if the molecular density of the rubber is such that it sinks, compared to the density of the first stage it is going to be the light end and so will exacerbate what we see in the photo.

Decodiver
    Stu,

The boots are negative, it is normal for a cylinder to do this when it is low on pressure.

The weight of the first stage drags it off its c of g and it appears like that.

Cheers,

Dave

Custom Title Allowed! Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook's Avatar
    A couple of weekends ago, I swapped my Luxfer 5.4L for my buddies Faber 7L mid-dive to show him what the alloy stage felt like. From my perspective, the steel was noticeably more negative. As an experiment I tried to noseclip it (attach the top of the tank to the hip Dring). The bottom of the tank ended up hanging below me at about 45 degrees (the tank was full at this stage). The tank was OK once I attached it properly, but I had a hard time trying to get my tank back for the rest of the weekend,

Thanks,
    Robert

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Yes and I was breathing off that stage when the pic was taken :D

NOTE: these pics were taken in fresh water.

I use 7ltr Faber lightweight steels (thats one of them) and I dont notice any balance problems with one clipped on. The boot dosent make any diferance. the tank is negitave full by about 1KG and its neutrol at 100bar (as in the pic) and floats ass first at 50bar.

I have tried Ali tanks but the ones you get in the UK are about the same as the steels. (CE mark Ali tanks have thicker walls than the US ones). The US ones are floaty floaty which is OK till they are empty then its a problem.

Side by side 70 bar and full 7ltr cylinders

ATB

Mark Chase

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast