+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stay away from Interjet

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Stay away from Interjet

Interjet Airlines has opened up some routes to Canada with some great pricing to Mexico. My buddy was flying to meet me in Playa for some cave diving. As he's boarding the plane in Vancouver he gets paged. They say the can't allow his megalodon rebreather onboard until it was checked out by their "expert" then they would deliver it. So day 3 in cave country and he doesn't have a rebreather and I don't have a cave buddy.
    Interjet SUCKS! Pass it on.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: Stay away from Interjet

And this illustrates why I feel it's best to do the following when traveling by air with expensive dive eq:

#1 LOOOOOSSSE all those stupid vanity manufacture dive bags and boxes telling everyone you are a bitchin' diver with all your gear stickers etc. Use a simple generic bag that blends in (Costco bags are perfect, everyone has one), period. This is especially important when traveling through marginal or third world countries. BLEND IN, don't stand out.

#2 Keep your moth shut about what you have unless you absolutely MUST discuss it. Spouting off about what awesome expensive gear you are traveling with is asking for secondary (not your handset) and when you get some bozo who doesn't know what you have, will more than like do to you what this poor guy experienced. Especially at an airline check in counter.

#3 CARRY ON as much as you can, especially anything worth $$$$. In the U.S. the TSA usually doesn't question much but when they do and you have the correct documentation, they let you pass with no issues. Now, if you tell the airline employee that you are traveling with SCUBA gear etc, they may enact their policies for extra charges or worse, deny your baggage. Once you pass through TSA, you are solid. I have never been screened at the gate for gear and have carried tanks on.

#4 SEE rule #2... and rule #2... and rule #2

Get it? Not saying the guy mentioned in the op did anything wrong, just stating from my extensive travel experience it has been best for me to act like a tourist, not like a diver when traveling with expensive eq. I learned this the hard way... on more than one occasion.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

^^^^ +1

Except I had alkaline C-cells confiscated out of my carry-on in Cancun - at a "random" bag check at the gate. They were in my backup lights.

RBW Member Ballester is an unknown quantity at this point Ballester's Avatar
    MEG CCR

Megalodon, Sentinel Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Interjet Airlines has opened up some routes to Canada with some great pricing to Mexico. My buddy was flying to meet me in Playa for some cave diving. As he's boarding the plane in Vancouver he gets paged. They say the can't allow his megalodon rebreather onboard until it was checked out by their "expert" then they would deliver it. So day 3 in cave country and he doesn't have a rebreather and I don't have a cave buddy.
    Interjet SUCKS! Pass it on.
    And what does the airline company has to do with security?!?! As others already said probably this was your fault.. By stating you had on board a very important piece of equipment and I bet it was a fancy Peli Box full of stickers saying "LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE".

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Ballester  View Original Post
    And what does the airline company has to do with security?!?! As others already said probably this was your fault.. By stating you had on board a very important piece of equipment and I bet it was a fancy Peli Box full of stickers saying "LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE".
    Glad to see someone who was there chiming in so we know exactly how this went down.

RBW Member Ballester is an unknown quantity at this point Ballester's Avatar
    MEG CCR

Megalodon, Sentinel Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by nadwidny  View Original Post
    Glad to see someone who was there chiming in so we know exactly how this went down.
    "Stay away from Interjet" that's the title of the post... so let us know why Interjet is bad. Last time I checked security is the same for all companies operating from an Airport. Why is Interjet is bad and British Airways or Delta airlines is good??

People must start thinking a little bit more before posting anything on the internet...

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ballester  View Original Post
    People must start thinking a little bit more before posting anything on the internet...

good point..
    let him who is without sin cast the first stone ;)
    Surprised at the "shitstorm" when nobody can possibly know the details of what happened as it is not stated in the OPs post..

How can you know how the bag was looking like and whether or not the guy was standing out or blending in..

I agree with whynots general recommendations, and that is how I travel..
    Nevertheless I have been paged before..
    DPV in "simple" duffle bag checked (as too big and heavy for carry on)..
    TSA guy claimed to be an expert and said it was a Lithium battery despite the papers I put to it and I specifically have a NiMH battery model to be able to air travel with it..

Yes it is true security is done by third parties and not airline, but in such instances they also consult with the airline and ultimate choice to carry or not is actually with captain..

In my case it was Lufthansa and airline helped to convince the TSA guy..so at least Interjet could have tried to help and it sounds that it was actually interjet that wanted to involve the "expert"..

So to me this is a useful bit of information and yes it has to do with the airline, however first hurdle is general airport security staff. if they are ok the airline does not even get involved..

BTW what I do ever since that DPV incident (which almost had me missing my plane as after the guy was convinced I had to grab the bag again outside security repack it and send it through security again and had to pass security myself again) is using "oversized" facility where you can actually interact with the security folks also for checked luggage.. Then when any questions occur you are right there to answer, show papers etc..

But guess what, ever since I do that, no questions have been asked.. seems that presence already makes a difference..

At some airports you have to somewhat insist to be present, but it certainly helps the process after all..

Safe travels!

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Let me add some info so in it's absence people seem to go off on absurd assumptions.
    First my buddy and I have flown on dozens of trips together without issue. I have spoken to numerous security agents over the years explaining what this kit is. We carry out rb in an innocuous looking travelpro legal carryon. We accept that the unit exceeds airline typical carryon weight and just take our chances. In this case the interjet agent challenged the weight of the rebreather and made my buddy check it. Minutes before boarding he was paged to the ticket desk and told he could not fly with it as they believed it to be dangerous cargo but that they would consult their "expert" whoever that might have been.
    I made this post as a warning to other rebreather travellers.
    I agree there may be those that plaster stickers and logos all over their gear and you only need to be refused once to realize that's a bad idea. We travel as low key as possible.my rebreather is called scuba gear when talking to agents and the thing inside is called a filter. Most of these tactics have worked for the last 18 years of rebreather travelling
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Solid follow up Dave, thanks. Sounds like you guys got a real zero at check in, sorry to hear about this. I've been in that position a few times and it's no fun, especially when you are leaving for a great dive trip and some "expert" thinks you are trying to take a hazard onboard a plane. One other point to mention is that airlines change their policies often and sports equipment seems to be one of those areas that gets changed. When I travel commercial I look at the current policies of the airline I'm using if I'm taking eq with me. I've been surprised at what was ok a year prior isn't today. I also avoid all discount airlines and only travel with the major carriers. And just like the bravo sierra baggage fees we all have been hit with to "offset the extra weight and fuel charge" the airlines tell us (which is total BS if you know anything about aviation) they seem to want to tax passengers for anything that weighs more than 50 pounds, and most tech scuba gear does so... something about nickels and dimes. My parents talk about flying when a chef would come down the isle and carve meat for them on international flights and have a full 3 course meal, now you get a lunch box filled with "parts meat" that's been reheated on the exhaust manifold of the lavatory. Oh how commercial aviation has changed.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Let me add some info so in it's absence people seem to go off on absurd assumptions.
    :) That's what I meant ;)

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    I also avoid all discount airlines and only travel with the major carriers.
    This advise is to be taken reagion specific though.. In Europe it is actually often the other way around.
    If you are able to fit your most sensitive gear into carry on size-wise then the discount airlines are often the better choice as these try to make folks use more carry on and less checked bags as checked bags increase their (costly) ground time..
    Major airlines in Europe have often ridiculous low carry on weight allowances (sometimes as low as 11 lbs total) while a lot of low cost carriers have only size but no weight restriction..

If you need to deal with checked luggage then mostly the major airlines are your better bet..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast