+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B17 Flying Fortress

B17 Flying Fortress

We spent a week diving around the island of Vis exploring wrecks and walls. It was the first time I've done a liveaboard in Croatia on the MV Vranjak. I can only recommend this, they have some great wrecks and every night we went to other (port) location so we could enjoy the different villages.

Here is a first video of the trip when we dived on the "B17" at a depth of 72m.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: B17 Flying Fortress

Thanks for posting, nice footage. And thank you for using symphonic music instead of the generic new age synth stuff so common in dive videos.

I dived on a B17 in Papua New Guinea, still had the nose cone and all the guns. It's amazing they put 10 people in those planes. Always a strange and beautiful sight to see a plane wreck underwater.

It looks like most of the guns were removed, who could've salvaged that in 72m back in the 40's?

BTW, that's a P38 in my avatar from one of my PNG trips..
    Last edited by silent running; 18th May 2018 at 18:14.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Mods, we need a "report" button...

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg + sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Mods, we need a "report" button...
    Lower left of the post, click the triangle

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    XCCR, SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

The B17 off the southeast side of Vis is only missing the left nosegun, and the removable guns sometimes carried in the fuselage. Since the plane ditched on the way back from an bombing mission to Vienna, (actually dropped its bombs over Maribor) after it ran out of fuel, it stands to reason that the crew dumped everthing they could to lose weight and get a few more miles. Unfortunately the RAF emergency airfield on the Vis plateau was blocked when the plane wanted to land and the crew did a very good job of setting the plane down in the water.

I can't say for sure, since if I asked I wouldn't want to know the answer, but I probably know who has the missing left nosegun
    BTW the nose is at 65M, Tailguns are at 73M and the hole in the fuselage on the right side is just big enough to enter.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    The B17 off the southeast side of Vis is only missing the left nosegun, and the removable guns sometimes carried in the fuselage. Since the plane ditched on the way back from an bombing mission to Vienna, (actually dropped its bombs over Maribor) after it ran out of fuel, it stands to reason that the crew dumped everthing they could to lose weight and get a few more miles. Unfortunately the RAF emergency airfield on the Vis plateau was blocked when the plane wanted to land and the crew did a very good job of setting the plane down in the water.

I can't say for sure, since if I asked I wouldn't want to know the answer, but I probably know who has the missing left nosegun
    BTW the nose is at 65M, Tailguns are at 73M and the hole in the fuselage on the right side is just big enough to enter.

Michael
    There is more info about this aircraft on following site. http://www.divernet.com/wrecks/p2983...-fortress.html

From the info I have read:
    We were told to lighten the plane, so everything went that could be pulled, pried or jerked loose. This meant guns, ammo, flak vests - everything but the radios.

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post

Michael
    Thanks for the info!

+ Reply to Thread