+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poseidon Se7en convertible to DCCR

RBW Member Interested is an unknown quantity at this point Interested's Avatar
    Se7en ; JJ

Poseidon MKVI

Poseidon Se7en convertible to DCCR

Hello community,

I’ve been diving the Poseidon Se7en Rebreather since 2015, and like the most rebreather diver I always have been customizing my unit since the early beginning.
    Some of the first things I was changing, were the counter lungs. I always was unsatisfied with the front mounted lungs, so I decided to change to back mounted one. I choose the BMCL from ATS and order some T-pieces and Mav form TecMe. As a second Computer I choose an Heinrichs Weikamp CR.
    With this setup I am pretty satisfied, since more than a year.
    Like every diver after a while I like to try something new, so in the end of 2017 I decided to try mechanical CCR’s. I thought the easiest way would be, to convert my Se7en to an DCCR like the Pelagian. So I search the internet for parts to convert an Se7en, and for my surprise I saw that every part you would need, is already buyable at different stores.
    That’s why I made this topic cause I was wondering that I couldn’t find any information about anyone has done this even cause the parts are already available.

The parts you would need:

The first thing to remove would be the emodule of the Se7en. Caused on the modular concept of the Se7en it is pretty easy to remove this.

A cover to close the hole of the missing emodule you could find at Martin Tolksdorf Webshop:

TecMe Partno.: PD0035 95€

Cover1.png

An in my eyes pretty good BMCL you could also order at the Shop of Martin, with T-pieces which would already fit the existing Poseidon hoses, and holes to connect your MAV’s.

TecMe BMCL, T-pieces and MAV for around 1200€

BMCL1.pngT-2.pngT-1.png

To realize an needle valve controlled rebreather, it is necessary to block the rising IP of the oxygen 1. Stage. On the Xstream 1. Stage this is not that easy to realize, or with other words it’s a lot easier to use an Apeks DS4 1. Stage like a lot of other rebreathers do. For the DS4 you could get an membrane block for the IP at narked@90.

Narked@90 Partno.: 0052 around 13€

DS4 1. Stage Nitrox around 160€

IP-Block.png

The most difficult part to get, was a needle valve like the Pelagian. After some internet research with pretty much no results, I found Chris Kennedy at this forum. Chris still do manufacture needle valves on customer requests.
    At this point I especially have to thank Chris Kennedy for his very fast support an help !

Chris Kennedy Needle Valve around 225€

MAV1.png

For the O2 monitoring I use an Poseidon CPOD with the solid state sensor connected to the M28 Computer. And an Heinrichs Weikamp CR connect with a chemical sensor to a 3rd cell holder at the T-pieces from TecMe.

Poseidon CPOD & M28 Set 3150€

Cpod1.png

Heinrichs Weikamp CR 990€

mega-menu-ostccr.png

For the first tests I think I will stay to this O2 monitoring. For the future I think about to put 2 chemical sensor into the cover of the emodule connected to the Heinrichs Weinkamp.

7-2.png7-1.png

In May I be in south of france for a few weeks and extensive will test my new setup.
    Last edited by Interested; 13th April 2018 at 22:25.

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Re: Poseidon Se7en convertible to DCCR

Why not just run the needle valve and keep the same electronics as backup?

I've got a custom done Meg DCCCR and I love it.

I would have run just a Fischer cable and use an AV1 head. The CPOD is overly expensive for a single sensor.

Overall though a nice project.

Quote Originally Posted by Interested  View Original Post
    Hello community,

I’ve been diving the Poseidon Se7en Rebreather since 2015, and like the most rebreather diver I always have been customizing my unit since the early beginning.
    Some of the first things I was changing, were the counter lungs. I always was unsatisfied with the front mounted lungs, so I decided to change to back mounted one. I choose the BMCL from ATS and order some T-pieces and Mav form TecMe. As a second Computer I choose an Heinrichs Weikamp CR.
    With this setup I am pretty satisfied, since more than a year.
    Like every diver after a while I like to try something new, so in the end of 2017 I decided to try mechanical CCR’s. I thought the easiest way would be, to convert my Se7en to an DCCR like the Pelagian. So I search the internet for parts to convert an Se7en, and for my surprise I saw that every part you would need, is already buyable at different stores.
    That’s why I made this topic cause I was wondering that I couldn’t find any information about anyone has done this even cause the parts are already available.

The parts you would need:

The first thing to remove would be the emodule of the Se7en. Caused on the modular concept of the Se7en it is pretty easy to remove this.

A cover to close the hole of the missing emodule you could find at Martin Tolksdorf Webshop:

TecMe Partno.: PD0035 95€

Attachment 44470

An in my eyes pretty good BMCL you could also order at the Shop of Martin, with T-pieces which would already fit the existing Poseidon hoses, and holes to connect your MAV’s.

TecMe BMCL, T-pieces and MAV for around 1200€

Attachment 44471Attachment 44472Attachment 44473

To realize an needle valve controlled rebreather, it is necessary to block the rising IP of the oxygen 1. Stage. On the Xstream 1. Stage this is not that easy to realize, or with other words it’s a lot easier to use an Apeks DS4 1. Stage like a lot of other rebreathers do. For the DS4 you could get an membrane block for the IP at narked@90.

Narked@90 Partno.: 0052 around 13€

DS4 1. Stage Nitrox around 160€

Attachment 44474

The most difficult part to get, was a needle valve like the Pelagian. After some internet research with pretty much no results, I found Chris Kennedy at this forum. Chris still do manufacture needle valves on customer requests.
    At this point I especially have to thank Chris Kennedy for his very fast support an help !

Chris Kennedy Needle Valve around 225€

Attachment 44475

For the O2 monitoring I use an Poseidon CPOD with the solid state sensor connected to the M28 Computer. And an Heinrichs Weikamp CR connect with a chemical sensor to a 3rd cell holder at the T-pieces from TecMe.

Poseidon CPOD & M28 Set 3150€

Attachment 44476

Heinrichs Weikamp CR 990€

Attachment 44477

For the first tests I think I will stay to this O2 monitoring. For the future I think about to put 2 chemical sensor into the cover of the emodule connected to the Heinrichs Weinkamp.

Attachment 44479Attachment 44480

In May I be in south of france for a few weeks and extensive will test my new setup.

J missionmtb is an unknown quantity at this point missionmtb's Avatar
    Se7en

mkVI

Cool project!

You could also leave the poseidon head on there and use the tecme blind plug for the battery? That way if you ever wanted ECCR you could just swap... I wonder what Martin thinks about diving with that plug installed, seems it has the same o-ring arrangement as the Poseidon e-module.

Also like the idea of going hybrid with the ECCR head + bleeder and O2 shutoff...

A little scary on the single O2 sensor, adding cells sounds like a good call. You could easily do this with the Tecme 3 cell T-piece.

-J

Se7en ; JJ

Poseidon MKVI

Hy J & haaginheimer,

I also have the battery plug from Martin, and this is nearly what I’ve done before. I’ve done a lot of training dives with the battery plug to train the handling of the mav’s before I get the needle valve from Chris.

I choose the cover to avoid unneeded parts at the unit.

I do have 2 Sensors !

1 one at the CPOD this is an infrared sensor connected to the M28
    2 one is an conversional galvanic sensor at the T-piece connected to an Heinrichs Weikamp

The first idea when I started this project was to build some kind of hybrid. But after a lot of tryouts I saw more and more difficult’s which are not that easy to handle.
    The idea was to simply add the needle valve to the existing Se7en, if in a situation of a total crash of the electronic (never happened to me, only in case), I could swap to the needle valve, pull out the battery and still would have 2 sensors to monitor the pO2 to continue the dive.

The biggest problem which is not to solve if you don’t buy 2x M28 is:
    If you connect the Poseidon CPod via Y-cabel to the emodule and to the M28, everything works just fine if you have power supply from your emodule battery.
    But if you pull out the battery, the M28 try´s to power the Cpod AND the emodule caused on the bus system. But the m28 hasn’t enough power I guess, cause after a few seconds he quit to power out.

So in these case I would only have 1 O2 sensor for monitoring, which honestly is enough for me to surface but not to continue diving.

I think about to always add the needle valve to the Se7en, for making my solenoid “unemployed”. This would be a nice version if every time you would need more than the usual O2, the solenoid is automatically given you your needs.

At the moment I like to dives without the emodule to train the handling of the needle valve.

Quote Originally Posted by missionmtb  View Original Post
    Cool project!

You could also leave the poseidon head on there and use the tecme blind plug for the battery? That way if you ever wanted ECCR you could just swap... I wonder what Martin thinks about diving with that plug installed, seems it has the same o-ring arrangement as the Poseidon e-module.

Also like the idea of going hybrid with the ECCR head + bleeder and O2 shutoff...

A little scary on the single O2 sensor, adding cells sounds like a good call. You could easily do this with the Tecme 3 cell T-piece.

-J
    Last edited by Interested; 14th April 2018 at 08:21.

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

You could port the needle valve and a diluent MAV to a single port.

I'm personally not a fan of the CPOD, a Shearwater is my go to with AV1 for solenoid control. The new AV1 solenoid controller has a single 18650 battery to run the solenoid and no battery in the head. It also allows me to turn the solenoid off so I can run hybrid or DCCCR. Ive got pictures and would love to swap some ideas as there is a large Poseidon crowd in my area but none really got into the homebuilder side of this.

Can the CPOD run 3 standard sensors?

RBW Member espo is an unknown quantity at this point espo's Avatar
    Poseidon MKVI

PSCR

Poseidon Se7en convertible to DCCR

I did something similar to this , i made an KISS poseidon out of my mk6.

greetings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by espo; 14th April 2018 at 16:17.

Se7en ; JJ

Poseidon MKVI

No the CPOD could only run a single galvanic or single solid state sensor.

Do you mean you could control and power the original poseidon emodul/ solenoid with the new AV1 this would be amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by haaginheimer  View Original Post
    The new AV1 solenoid controller has a single 18650 battery to run the solenoid and no battery in the head. It also allows me to turn the solenoid off so I can run hybrid or DCCCR. Ive got pictures and would love to swap some ideas as there is a large Poseidon crowd in my area but none really got into the homebuilder side of this.

Can the CPOD run 3 standard sensors?

@espo

This is exactly what I meant. I would do it with only one cabel connect to the heinrichs.
    How you realize the fix of the sensors inside, could you upload an pictures.

RBW Member espo is an unknown quantity at this point espo's Avatar
    Poseidon MKVI

PSCR

sure here you go . The L i glued to the head .

greetings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KISS GEM (modified)

I think the AV1 could power the original solenoid. You would just need to do the wiring on it. I like all the options on the AV1 computer such as turning cells on and off etc. Can you access all the wires on the original module? You may have to remove and cap some of the wires there.

I like the idea of the mCCR poseidon head but instead of the triple display run a single Fischer cable.

Martin at Tecme has that new po2 computer that seems a good option.

J missionmtb is an unknown quantity at this point missionmtb's Avatar
    Se7en

mkVI

I wish there was way to get the signal from the two head cells out to the fischer on the pod. Would be great to watch these along with the 3rd cell on a shearwater...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast