+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does rebreather training work?

RBW Member Sinbad is an unknown quantity at this point Sinbad's Avatar
    NA

How does rebreather training work?

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how rebreather training is structured? If you are a Trimix diver on open circuit and you were looking to do your typical 200' ft dive on a rebreather, can you make a linear transition into rebreathers or do you have to start from sport rebreather and learn technical diving all the way to Trimix and Hypoxic trimix while on rebreather?

Secondly, open circuit tech courses rarely have experience levels built between courses. You can take TDI Trimix after only 10 deco dives or after 200 dives. It is up to you. Please correct me if I am wrong but rebreather progression demands "hours" on that unit before you can learn the next step?

Thanks -

Sinbad

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: How does rebreather training work?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad  View Original Post
    Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how rebreather training is structured? If you are a Trimix diver on open circuit and you were looking to do your typical 200' ft dive on a rebreather, can you make a linear transition into rebreathers or do you have to start from sport rebreather and learn technical diving all the way to Trimix and Hypoxic trimix while on rebreather?

Secondly, open circuit tech courses rarely have experience levels built between courses. You can take TDI Trimix after only 10 deco dives or after 200 dives. It is up to you. Please correct me if I am wrong but rebreather progression demands "hours" on that unit before you can learn the next step?

Thanks -

Sinbad
    I am not sure where you are getting your info that there are no prerequisite dives between training levels in OC Trimix because that is false. I replied with a standards quote in your other post making the same claim.
    There is also no lateral progression from OC to CCR except that is you do your basic CCR class and are OC trimix you will be qualified to train to deco procedures, air diluent on CCR. You may also take a helitrox based class which will give you minimal exposure to helium but no extension of depth limit. (150 ft)
    From CCR Mixed Gas Diluent standards.
    33.5 Student Prerequisites
    1. Minimum age 18
    2. Provide a verified log of a minimum of 50 rebreather hours distributed over a minimum of 50 dives on the
    specific rebreather. Valid logged dives must be deeper than 9 metres / 20 feet, half of which must be deeper
    than 20 metres / 66 feet. If the diver has 50 hours on another CCR unit recognized by TDI, only 25 hours
    are required to be on the specific unit
    3. Have completed and qualified the TDI Air Diluent Decompression Procedures Rebreather/TDI CCR
    Helitrox Diluent Decompression Procedures Diver course or equivalent from agencies recognized by TDI
    Last edited by wedivebc; 13th April 2018 at 21:29.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread