+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreather training progression

RBW Member Sinbad is an unknown quantity at this point Sinbad's Avatar
    NA

Rebreather training progression

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please explain what the course progression for CCR training looks like?

I am TDI-Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures certified about to take my Open water Trimix in a few months. After that, I was planning to get into re-breathers instead of Advanced/Hypoxic Trimix. What would be the CCR course progression that would take me all the way to Advanced / Hypoxic Trimix diving and do I need to accumulate a certain number of hours at each level before I progress to the next? In open circuit, there are no fixed number of dives I need to do at Decompression before I get to Trimix but is there such a certain experience requirement in CCR progression to the next level?

Thanks.

Sinbad

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Rebreather training progression

There most certainly is a prerequisite number of dives prior to taking OC trimix.
    This is from the TDI OC trimix S&Ps
    12.5 Student Prerequisites
    1. Minimum age 18
    2. Minimum certification as a TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver and TDI Decompression Procedures Diver, or
    equivalent
    3. Provide proof of a minimum 100 logged dives
    I would suggest you slow down and enjoy the ride.
    I would also suggest OC trimix is not a necessary step if your goal is CCR Trimix.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

The requirements for CCR training are typically x number of hours over y number of dives. Different agencies have different numbers.

I think there used to be some jumps that could be made if you had certain OW training. One example is TDI's helitrox diluent cert. You need either air dil and 30 hours, or you can go straight to helitrox dil if you have AN/DP. I thought there was a way to jump from there to full ccr trimix if you already had a full oc remix cert, but can't seem to find anything about that.

If you know what instructor or shop you want to turn with, it's worth a phone call or email to them. If you have an agency in mind, you should be able to find their training progression or course standards online.

Jim

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Sounds like an EXCELLENT question for certifying training agencies rather the divers on this board. I would strongly encourage you to look for an instructor in your area first. They should be able to answer all the questions you might have. Different agencies usually have different requirements so whomever you choose as your instructor will certify you through the agency they are certified through and explain the prereqs to your end goal.

I echo the advice to s l o w down a bit before thinking about trimix CCR. I would also seriously look at the cost/benefit to getting into CCR diving, especially using exotic gases. Unless you dive CCR regularly, it's usually not financially worth it for most divers as you don't start to see an ROI until after hundreds of dives. Plus OC is so much easier...

Now if you are the person who just won the Mega Millions, this is moot.
    Last edited by whynot?; 14th April 2018 at 02:32.

RBW Member Sinbad is an unknown quantity at this point Sinbad's Avatar
    NA

Thanks for all the info and my apologies for duplicating the thread. I had submitted it once but it did not pop up so I thought it was lost.

I totally see whynots point about ROI. I am interested in filming the insides of some deep wrecks and was wondering if cost vs benefit would work in favor of rebreathers or if open circuit with multiple tanks may actually be a better option.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

I edited my post to add the following but it didn't seem to be changed in my last post:

Be careful with instructors, they are not all the same. There are some real solid instructors out there but there are also real frigin' zeros. Do your homework and if after talking with an instructor and you don't feel like you connect with them on a very high level, bail on them and move on to someone else. There is a lot of diver ego out there and any instructor who drones on and on about how awesome they are, what they feel they have accomplished (diving on the Titanic etc.) and what "celebrity" they trained should be a strobe light that that person will not be a good fit and is just looking to make $$$ off you. This board is filled with people who have had bad experiences with instructors; everything from taking their $$$ and not completing the course to not learning squat and having to move to someone else to get real training.

I have met both personalities and they are painfully obvious to spot. Cavet Empotor.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

A good instructor is something I saw echoed over and over. When I went and did a try dive, half of it was to try the rebreather, the half was to interview the instructor in person.

The learning curve is steep. Lots of new skills to be learned, lot more need to be relearned and adjusted. Then get all that mastered again. You will be spending a lot of time diving a technical rebreather recreationally until you get into it. No matter how good you are not, you will be like an open water diver out for the first time when you start a rebreather. It is a significant change in diving gear, not a little one.

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

Also please consider when you're planning on doing this filming. If you're looking to do any filming in the very near future, stick with OC. There's enough to learn and it takes time to establish proficiency with regards to your buoyancy and operation of the unit.

I didn't carry a camera until I was well over 100 hours on my first unit, and probably over 75 hours on the second unit.

RBW Member techintime is an unknown quantity at this point techintime's Avatar
    Revo III micro FT RMS

You are at the same place where I was when I made the switch to CCR five years ago. Yes there are minimum hours/dives between each of the various levels...and the various agencies have different requirements. It's a lot of courses, a lot of time and a lot of money so choose wisely on which machine, which dive shop and which instructor.
    There is a lot of benefit to falling in with a group of CCR divers that are all diving the same machine and diving together a lot. Lots of corporate knowledge to help you out. So go local if you can versus traveling to take a course. Done right you are going to be diving a lot and feel more like an apprentice to someone for the next couple of years until you reach the full hypoxic trimix level. But is so worth it.

+ Reply to Thread