+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: X1 disassembly, or why I can't have nice things

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

X1 disassembly, or why I can't have nice things

My X1 started acting weird about 18 months ago, after about 5 years of solid use. I had a couple of dives that it turned off mid-dive, although the battery should have had sufficient charge. Then there were a few dives where I turned it on pre-dive, and it turned off as soon as the dive started. There were some weird ones where it turned on, then off mid-dive, or did not turn on until mid-dive. It acted fine at the surface, and charged and connected to the computer without problem.

I noticed some corrosion on one of the pins on the side, and thought that might be the problem. Licking the pins gave me a tingle; I'm not sure if you normally get electricity across those. Anyways, a sale came up, and I picked up a different computer, and put the X1 in the garage and mostly forgot about it.

About a year later, while going through my dive stuff, I noticed that the back of the X1 was bulging. Since I can't leave well enough alone, this was my cue to take it apart to see how it ticked.*

In this picture, you can see the back pried off. I unscrewed the screws, but the whole computer is completely potted in a sticky goo. On the inside of the back, you can see the flat speaker/buzzer.

This is the battery, and how it attaches. There's a separate thread that discusses replacing the battery. That wasn't around when I decided to take mine apart, and besides, I thought the problem had to do with a short somewhere in the pins on the side.

Getting to this point was fairly straightforward. The potting compound is sticky, but I was able to remove all of it with a combination of gentle scraping and "rolling" it up into clumps to pull out.*

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by moose_grunt; 9th March 2018 at 01:08. Reason: rearrange pictures

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Re: X1 disassembly, or why I can't have nice things

At this point, though, I was stuck. I couldn't figure out how to get the main circuit board out, even after removing the screws. I ended up using steam to try to soften the glue, and working around the edges with a dental pick, until I could finally pull the main circuit board out.

This was where I screwed up. Although the wires going to the pins on the side are flexible, the pins from the pressure sensor soldered directly to the circuit board are not. All of the pins for the pressure sensors broke about midway between the board and the sensor. I'd recommend desoldering those first.

There's also a flexible cable (FPC, to be precise) that connects the OLED to the circuit board. Before I realized it, I'd ripped the cable off of the OLED. I'm pretty sure that is not repairable. It looks like replacements in different colors can be had on eBay from China for $15, so I might pick one up at some point just for giggles.

What is left is the OLED and the pressure sensors. Both are just held in with a lot of potting compound. Since I had already trashed the OLED, I figured I was past the point of no return, so wrapped what was left in tin foil and put it in the oven for about 10 minutes. At that point, the ceramic pressure sensors could be pulled out with a dental pick, and the OLED could be pushed out from the front.

Last edited by moose_grunt; 9th March 2018 at 01:20. Reason: rearrange pictures

RBW Member ccfish is an unknown quantity at this point ccfish's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Hi Jim - what a pleasure to see one more person on the globe digging in X1 potting like me )

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt  View Original Post
    At this point, though, I was stuck. I couldn't figure out how to get the main circuit board out, even after removing the screws. I ended up using steam to try to soften the glue, and working around the edges with a dental pick, until I could finally pull the main circuit board out.
    interesting steam did the job

This was where I screwed up. Although the wires going to the pins on the side are flexible, the pins from the pressure sensor soldered directly to the circuit board are not. All of the pins for the pressure sensors broke about midway between the board and the sensor. I'd recommend desoldering those first.
    yes, this is what I was guessing - but desoldering may be difficult - Also I`m afraid the precise calibration of the pressure sensors would suffer (correct me)... Your pictures help me to better understand the precision issue I describe in my "Modified X1"-thread though, big thanks for that!

There's also a flexible cable (FPC, to be precise) that connects the OLED to the circuit board. Before I realized it, I'd ripped the cable off of the OLED. I'm pretty sure that is not repairable. It looks like replacements in different colors can be had on eBay from China for $15, so I might pick one up at some point just for giggles.
    I think better you pick a used- or even dead X1 and give the excavating re-potting procedure another try - battery only ) ...

What is left is the OLED and the pressure sensors. Both are just held in with a lot of potting compound.
    this also explains some of my questions - thanks again

Since I had already trashed the OLED, I figured I was past the point of no return,
    yes, you are ;-((

so wrapped what was left in tin foil and put it in the oven for about 10 minutes. At that point, the ceramic pressure sensors could be pulled out with a dental pick, and the OLED could be pushed out from the front.
    very interesting procedure! - electronic components my be even surviving this treatment, depending on the temperature (the FPC-connector may be the weakest part here) - and again, pressure sensor calibration most likely in the woods after such treatment, I`m afraid, correct me...

Thanks for your effort, Jim!

cheers Helge

After seeing how much of a PITA it is to do anything with the potting compound, I'm really curious how liquivision serviced these things. For example, if your pressure sensor died, you used to be able to send it back to liquivision to get it fixed, I think. I wonder how the heck they got everything out to replace components, or did they just send a new unit?

Jim

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

or did they just send a new unit?
    rethorical question?

I'm actually curious, since I never sent in anything for repair. I recall for a while their solution was to try to sell you a Xeo. Any idea what they were doing before that?

RBW Member Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr's Avatar
    Megalodon

They’d sent you a new one.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

I'm actually curious, since I never sent in anything for repair. I recall for a while their solution was to try to sell you a Xeo. Any idea what they were doing before that?

Well you already had answered it yourselfe, hence I asked if it was a rethorical question. Of course they would send you a new one and not start fiddling with the potting etc..
    Ususally with such products the actual hardware is dirt cheap anyways.. for sure it is more expensive to have educated labour putting hands on it..
    so new one and be done with it..
    it is quite obvious..

RBW Member ccfish is an unknown quantity at this point ccfish's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Well you already had answered it yourselfe, hence I asked if it was a rethorical question. Of course they would send you a new one and not start fiddling with the potting etc..
    Ususally with such products the actual hardware is dirt cheap anyways.. for sure it is more expensive to have educated labour putting hands on it..
    so new one and be done with it..
    it is quite obvious..
    oh - I had to pay 1750 USD for that "dirt cheap hardware" once... but very likely you are right - we are the only few persons on the globe who do this kind of excavating ... ;-(((

rEvo III rms

Quote Originally Posted by ccfish  View Original Post
    oh - I had to pay 1750 USD for that "dirt cheap hardware" once... but very likely you are right - we are the only few persons on the globe who do this kind of excavating ... ;-(((
    dirt cheap for the manufacturer.. obviously not for the end customer ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast