+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My cheap arse solution to O2 cell replacement.

RBW Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

My cheap arse solution to O2 cell replacement.

HaHaHa, made you look. But seriously, this is my solution to having to pay $130 + shipping for an O2 cell for my Analox O2EII analyzer. If any of you actually own and have had to replace the cells in Analox analyzers, then you know that they are proprietary and you HAVE to get them from Analox (at least for the 2 different models that I have).

I was a little bored today and went out to the garage to reanalyze the banks that I mixed up this week and my Analox O2EII was due for another cell. Frick this, I thought and decided to risk trashing it in an attempt to be cheap. It turns out that my plan worked out very well. I no longer have to dissassemble the unit to change the cell out either. I know that it isn't splashprood any more, but my garage is fairly dry most of the time

I had to put a molex connector on the existing wiring and cut out the back of the housing. The masking tape is just to hold the wiring in place so that I don't pinch it during assembly.

I just used on old R22D sensor that I had replaced and was keeping for an emergency spare. It screws into the housing but the label needs to be removed for the body to fit through the center housing. Still had 9.9mv in air and it seems to be working and calibrating just fine. I compared the reading to my Analox ATA just to be sure.

Here are a few pics of the process:

And this one is next. Now that I ain't afraid of ruining the darned thing.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Re: My cheap arse solution to O2 cell replacement.

Wonderful to know the analyzers I use to check my life-sustaining gas is being screwed with by Don. Although I suppose it can't be any worse than diving with Don.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

nice work Don!! i will do that next time. only problem is the analyzer is not so water resistant any more!! but who cares.

tony you leave my long haired friend alone, you big bully!!

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

The back cover of the cell can be popped off with a screw driver. It is just glued. Then you can de-solder the Molex connector and solder the two wires.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Sweet! Just gotta love it when folks find simple solutions to, shall we say, "artificially created" sourcing problems.

Just a thought: A small PVC pipe end cap, or maybe even a small pill bottle, could be trimmed to fit & epoxyed in place and then you'd even have your splash-proofness back.

You could even get fancy and go the Tom Rose route- Epoxy Putty ! Just cover the sensor w/ several layers of tape (for clearance later and so things don't get stuck closed), put on the back, and build up a layer of putty over the hole & sensor. Once cured it can be sanded smooth.

Where's my 9th cup of coffee??....??...??

Ken

RBW Member plclarkson is an unknown quantity at this point plclarkson's Avatar
    N/A

LOL Ok you guys...where's the Duct Tape?

I just want to address a couple points here...at the risk of being the spoilsport Manufacturer of the butchered EII:

There are a few "aftermarket" sensors that fit the O2EII (yes, most of which do not require the pictured surgery) and yes, these sensors tend to run about half of what Analox charges for replacement sensors, but fellas, you do indeed get what you pay for:

1) The R22D has temperature compensation in, so the EII now has two lots of temperature compensation which can affect it ability to correctly report O2.
    2) The R22D has a thinner membrane than the Analox cells. This gives a quicker response than the Analox cell BUT means that the cell life is significantly reduced. So Analox does cost more, but lasts as much as THREE TIMES longer.
    3) Who else gives a graded 3 YEAR warranty on sensors?

Safe and Happy Diving! (remember that SAFE part...ok?)

RBW Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by plclarkson  View Original Post
    LOL Ok you guys...where's the Duct Tape?

I just want to address a couple points here...at the risk of being the spoilsport Manufacturer of the butchered EII:

There are a few "aftermarket" sensors that fit the O2EII (yes, most of which do not require the pictured surgery) and yes, these sensors tend to run about half of what Analox charges for replacement sensors, but fellas, you do indeed get what you pay for:

1) The R22D has temperature compensation in, so the EII now has two lots of temperature compensation which can affect it ability to correctly report O2.
    2) The R22D has a thinner membrane than the Analox cells. This gives a quicker response than the Analox cell BUT means that the cell life is significantly reduced. So Analox does cost more, but lasts as much as THREE TIMES longer.
    3) Who else gives a graded 3 YEAR warranty on sensors?

Safe and Happy Diving! (remember that SAFE part...ok?)
    All seem to be valid points but:

1 - I have verified the readings with my Analox ATA and they are spot on. I trust the readings. I analyze all O2 readings with at least 2 analyzers each time.
    2 - The life expectancy is no longer of any concern to me. I will have another cell to replace it in 3 months and it will not cost me a dime. I rotate cells out of my RB on a regular basis and always have several "old" ones for emergency.
    3 - see #2 above.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Nice job Don. But I think you're going to have a little tougher time with the ATA. I looked at doing the same thing last time, but the fact that its in a closed case makes a difference. I didn't know about popping off the back end though. That could help. I'm looking forward to seeing how you make out.

Ken

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press

Great book you can build an nice O2 analyser for just a few dollars then add any cell you like!

I have been using a couple of these homebuilds for a few years now..still have my ata for the trimix and Ive just ordered another cell for my 02E2 as it has been sitting around doing nothing!! Yes and it did cost me over $100!!

In the homebuilds I recycle my rb cells...they will last a fair while before the current limitation starts to effect readings under 100% O2 even longer for the analysis of recreational Nitrox!

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Abbotson  View Original Post
    Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press

Great book you can build an nice O2 analyser for just a few dollars then add any cell you like!

I have been using a couple of these homebuilds for a few years now..still have my ata for the trimix and Ive just ordered another cell for my 02E2 as it has been sitting around doing nothing!! Yes and it did cost me over $100!!

In the homebuilds I recycle my rb cells...they will last a fair while before the current limitation starts to effect readings under 100% O2 even longer for the analysis of recreational Nitrox!
    If you don't want to source the bits, then you can always buy the Oxycheq 'el cheapo' - EL Cheapo II Analyzer Kit [OA-ECII] - $105.00 : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment. I've had one for something like 10 years - still doing sterling service. I do need to get around to creating an adaptor to take the APD co-ax cells, but that's not a major issue.

I'm even quoted on Oxycheq's site

Cheers,

Phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast