+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Galapagos Rebreather 2019 Expedition

RBW Member
    jorgeantoniomw has a little shameless behaviour in the past jorgeantoniomw's Avatar
    Evolution +

Re: Galapagos Rebreather 2019 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    Just read your brochure, I note the following:
    "Trip is not of technical diving nature.

The following rules and dive profiles will be mandatory:
    - Profiles will be limited to a bottom time of 60 minutes and an average depth of 20 meters
    to avoid decompression.
    - Standard diluent provided will be air and maximum recommended narcotic depth 30
    meters.
    "
    The imposed dive limits beg the question whats a rebreather needed for ?
    Can you advise why would I drag 25kg of excess luggage aka a rebreather halfway around the world for dives that can be comfortably done on a set of twin 7's ??

Maybe I'm missing something.

Cathal
    Rebreathers allow silent, warm, moist dives in the 20 to 40-meter range. Doing those dives with twin 7's would render in decompression obligation and still involve dragging a lot of gear to and from the dive site, filling, deco cylinders, etc. This trip is for natural history fanatics, I can only describe the experience as being inside a BBC documentary.

https://www.facebook.com/GalapagosRe...3778381331409/
    Jorge A. MAHAUAD

-------------------------------------------
    Advanced Diving in the Galapagos Islands
    Recreational & Technical Diver Training
    Galapagos Rebreather Trips and Expeditions
    Underwater Exploration and Diver Support

www.galapagosrebreathers.com
    www.tiptopdiving.com

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by GoProHonduras  View Original Post
    "Can you advise why would I drag 25kg of excess luggage aka a rebreather halfway around the world for dives that can be comfortably done on a set of twin 7's ??

Maybe I'm missing something.

Cathal "

Both Cocos Island and Galapagos marine authorities have the 60 minute stipulation, though sometimes they are relaxed about it, and the experienced guides tend to give the rebreather divers a wider berth.

Most of the divers also bring cameras, lenses and strobes worth as much as their rebreathers , and more baggage. They do so not for depth or time, but the better encounter with the marine life on closed circuit compared to OC.

You'll see the same life whether on OC or CCR, but on CCR the encounters are closer and more intimate than on OC, hence making for better photography/videography and overall experience. The Hammerheads seem to particularly come much closer to divers on CCR.

These trips usually have a 50% rebook rate, so this kind of speaks for itself!

Hope this helps.

Hello, are there park rangers in the water on OC for every dive at Cocos? If true, this is the first I've heard of this, how long has this been the policy?

RBW Member
    jorgeantoniomw has a little shameless behaviour in the past jorgeantoniomw's Avatar
    Evolution +

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    I believe it's a requirement of that most wisest of all conservationist organizations, the Ecuador National Park Service. I can understand limiting the number of divers in the water, especially OC divers. But limiting the time per dive and the ridiculously shallow depth limit is certainly arbitrary and not grounded in any fact. Plus, CCR divers certainly disturb the animals less than OC divers and we are generally more experienced divers. As I believe I said to Jorge in email corespondence, if they are so concerned with diver impact on the animals, why aren't the park rangers diving CCR? If they are really serious about not disturbing the animals, at least as serious as us CCR divers, they would put their money where their mouths are and lead the way. I bet they could get sponsored by a CCR manufacturer and get free training and gear for the rangers. But no, they'd rather exert power and virtue signal instead of showing actual leadership. Sorry, but I really hate officiousness and hypocrisy of this kind...
    I agree on many levels. Unfortunately, not everyone has the knowledge and understanding of the benefits CCR diving brings. I have worked with several film production companies and those trips operate under a different permit. That allowed other dive schedules, we usually do 2 x 120' dives per day and it works beautifully. Unfortunately, the Galapagos park regulates everything based on the vast volume of OC dives. We can talk offline if you want.
    Jorge A. MAHAUAD

Advanced Diving in the Galapagos Islands
    Recreational & Technical Diver Training
    Galapagos Rebreather Trips and Expeditions
    Underwater Exploration and Diver Support

www.galapagosrebreathers.com
    www.tiptopdiving.com

RBW Member
    Evolution +

Here are some clips of the 2017 trips.
    Last edited by jorgeantoniomw; 8th March 2018 at 15:20.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Sponsored by PADI. So then it I the number of dives, not the quality of dives?

Coming soon the PADI Galapagos extended dive class that will allow you to spend an extra 15 minutes underwater.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by broncobowsher  View Original Post
    Sponsored by PADI. So then it I the number of dives, not the quality of dives?

Coming soon the PADI Galapagos extended dive class that will allow you to spend an extra 15 minutes underwater.

Ha!!! Well played. If only the administrators of environmental faith were open to any type of "expertise" beyond their own institutional kind, we might convince them of a CCR's low environmental impact = not likely

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jorgeantoniomw  View Original Post
    Here are some clips of the 2017 trips.

All truly impressive, Galapagos is almost certainly the big animal world capital in terms of diversity and density. I wish I had the $...

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

so a 6,5K$ "no surprise fee" but the Nitrox Bailout is not included ????
    gotta be a joke? Maybe you wanted to say multiple daily bailout refills are not included ?
    but not even a first fill ??

Apart that the items "migratory control card tax" and "Galapagos National Park Entry fees" seem to some items with quite a "surprise" potential..

So they must represent a ridiculously high number as otherwise, I would not quite understand why they would not be part of the "no surprise fee"
    BTW a hefty ticket price for these and being included would be the expected justification for the overall magnitude of the "no surprise fee"
    but maybe that is why this is going to be a "selected group if divers" as we already sorted neither the dive experience nor the dive profiles would be very "selecting"

Anyhow, I surely would love to dive in Galapagos once, but if this is a realistic price tag (and not only 2 PAID Course Directors trying to make a nice trip for themselves on somebody elses dime + a small fortune)..
    then this is likely never gonna happen

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

BTW.. what are folks supposed to do that dive real breathers and not toys with those Sofno cartridges? Tear them apart to fill their scrubbers?
    Or is this intendend for breathers with prepacked cartridges only?

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello, are there park rangers in the water on OC for every dive at Cocos? If true, this is the first I've heard of this, how long has this been the policy?
    We never had park rangers in the water with us at Cocos (3 trips)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast